Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 03:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times

Advertisements

Hey, in the end you did what you had to do and in the nick of time. On the path you were on, it was either divorce or bankruptcy court, or both.

Congrats on both of you getting out from under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 05:53 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times
Thanks and I think you are spot on, this really tested our resolve. Life has been so much better with everything paid in full. Were house hunting downstate today, everything were looking at is less than half of what we owed up north so we insure that we dont repeat our mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Hey, in the end you did what you had to do and in the nick of time. On the path you were on, it was either divorce or bankruptcy court, or both.

Congrats on both of you getting out from under.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:59 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Congrats, OP! I'm happy for you.

It's sad to see someone try to build up their own ego by trying to degrade a deal that wasn't wildly successful as a business proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
If "ownership" were all that was involved on your part, then I would agree with you. However, based on what you've told us, you not only "owned" the property for a year or so, but you also worked your a$$ off night and day while camping out in a little camper onsite for over a year.

In that light, the $215k "profit" is simply compensation for all the work you put in since no one actually paid you with a paycheck for all your time and effort on the project. Of course, this is just my opinion which amounts to exactly nothing. If you and your wife are happy with the deal, then that's fine. Thanks for reporting back. Good luck to you and your wife in moving forward wherever that may be.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:03 AM

Just a quick update. We filed our tax using an accountant who specialized in RE transactions. We owed just under $8000.00 which I considered a huge win for what we made on the place. Life is good downstate, the folks honestly arent nearly as nice as they were upnorth but its fine. My day to day life is rarely boring and its nice having people around to complain about lol.

Having money and not being overextended is such a blessing. My wife (who is midway done with her Masters program) was able to take a 3 week trip with her best friend to the Formula 1 races in Australia, then to Thailand, while I dont want to have an I told you so moment I'm pretty sure she is aware that this would not have been possible in our old situation.

There are some passing moments that I miss actually living on a lake, but they dont even get close to competing with our new found financial freedom.

Thanks all again for advice, and being a listening ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Congrats on the quick sale (cash deals are always nice). Now hopefully your capital gains tax situation will work out favorably, too.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:02 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
You sound better than you did when you were freezing in your camper (alone).

Old 04-02-2024, 12:00 PM

Oh my gosh, I feel healthier and more alive thats for sure. And the cats do too lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You sound better than you did when you were freezing in your camper (alone).

Old 04-02-2024, 01:54 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Cats are people too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate