Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 33,557 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are gen x. The millennials across the street from me have 2 kids and a 6 mill house. The one's next door have 4 kids and a 4 mill house. In fact, my town of Rumson, NJ has transformed from older people that were here forever to young families that have wealth and are knocking down to rebuild or renovating the homes. This was mostly affected by the pandemic, people fleeing cities and the increase in home values was too hard to pass up, so people sold. Many others in my age range moved up to bigger houses and properties, like moi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 11:31 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I think we need to recognize there are dramatic socioeconomic class differences among millennials just as there are among gen-xers and boomers.

And there will be among gen-zers or whatever they’re called.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:09 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Why not blame their parents , parents .since that generation took us off the gold standard….plus created the 1960’s -early 80s inflation .

Or was it their parent , parents, parents who brought us World War Two and made us a debtor nation .

All I know is it wasn’t my generation who threw me out of school into the 1970s high unemployment, race riots in the street, Drafted me at the height of vietnam , the oil shortage , and ant war protests filled the cities ….

That was parents generation that did that …

So every generation tries to blame those before them for something .

The reality is those who are going to succeed will find a way …the rest will find an excuse..

That has been true in every generation
It all started when Adam and Eve sinned and got kicked out of their plush digs. The rest of us have been paying for it ever since.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:52 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It all started when Adam and Eve sinned and got kicked out of their plush digs. The rest of us have been paying for it ever since.
And worst of all, they lost their Proposition-13 cap on annual property tax increases!

Old 11-17-2022, 07:49 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense. They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream and are looking to retire outside the country so they can live comfortably. Also opting out of having kids. I believe America is going to look a lot differently in the future. Thoughts?
I certainly understand why Millenials want to choose these options.

I did the same and I'm a Gen Xer.

High price of housing....which is paying for a place to live.

And the average 401K balance and Pension being almost non-existent.

There is an American Dream, but you'll have to be asleep to believe in it

Old 11-17-2022, 09:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram1 View Post
Millennials aren’t buying houses and are fed up with the housing market nonsense. They are also fed up with the moving goal post of the American dream and are looking to retire outside the country so they can live comfortably. Also opting out of having kids. I believe America is going to look a lot differently in the future. Thoughts?
You are aware they make up the largest percentage of home buyers?

Old 11-18-2022, 06:11 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I certainly understand why Millenials want to choose these options.

I did the same and I'm a Gen Xer.

High price of housing....which is paying for a place to live.

And the average 401K balance and Pension being almost non-existent.
A big problem people have is thinking that major life goals are easily achievable.

If they were, then everybody would be rich.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:20 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A big problem people have is thinking that major life goals are easily achievable.

If they were, then everybody would be rich.
As I always say .

Those who really want to succeed will find a way , the rest will simply find an excuse .

As physics dictates , an object in motion stays in motion and an object at rest stays at rest — unless something alters that course .

Being it is easier to do nothing then something , to change one’s course , most Americans are at what we call rest.

They drift like a cork in water to wherever they land without taking control or direction

Old 11-18-2022, 07:39 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
As I always say .

Those who really want to succeed will find a way , the rest will simply find an excuse .

As physics dictates , an object in motion stays in motion and an object at rest stays at rest — unless something alters that course .

Being it is easier to do nothing then something , to change one’s course , most Americans are at what we call rest.

They drift like a cork in water to wherever they land without taking control or direction
This is true today and was equally true ten thousand years ago.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:41 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
As I always say .

This is 100
Be careful, you’ve offended some because it requires people to bootstrap themselves and we can’t make people have to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate