U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:30 PM

809 posts, read 3,414,031 times

Advertisements

I have a house that I bought brand new. I am planning to sell soon and I'm scared because of having to "Show" it. It seems weird to have strangers going around my house while I'm gone, etc.

I keep my house clean but I guess being a private person, it seems wierd.

Can you tell me how you handled this? Did you hide your valuables / personal items or relocate them? (Like jewerly, lose cash, bank statements etc).

What did you do with your dogs? I have 2 and I don't think either will like having strangers come in. Did you put them in a cage at the house or take them off-site? I really can't afford doggy day care every day.

Did you clean your house like crazy every day before work? Not knowing if it will be shown that day?

Did anyone steal anything or do anything to your house when it was showed?

I'm planning to put my house on the market soon and any tips / advice in these areas would be really appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,036,037 times
As a dog owning member of the workforce this is how I did it. I am sure the Realtors will faint.

My house was available to be shown between 5-8 p.m. or on weekends. I had to have 1 hour notice for a showing. When the buyers pulled up I took the dog out the back door and made myself scarce. My agent was aware that if a weekday showing was required I needed 24 hours notice to make arrangements for my dog.

I never leave my jewelry, loose cash, or bank statements out so this was not an issue for me.

I sold 2 houses this way. One was 45 days from list to close in a down market and the other was 37 days from list to close in a flat market.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM

414 posts, read 1,210,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I have a house that I bought brand new. I am planning to sell soon and I'm scared because of having to "Show" it. It seems weird to have strangers going around my house while I'm gone, etc.

I keep my house clean but I guess being a private person, it seems wierd.

Can you tell me how you handled this? Did you hide your valuables / personal items or relocate them? (Like jewerly, lose cash, bank statements etc).

What did you do with your dogs? I have 2 and I don't think either will like having strangers come in. Did you put them in a cage at the house or take them off-site? I really can't afford doggy day care every day.

Did you clean your house like crazy every day before work? Not knowing if it will be shown that day?

Did anyone steal anything or do anything to your house when it was showed?

I'm planning to put my house on the market soon and any tips / advice in these areas would be really appreciated.
I was absolutely weirded out at the thought of random people parading through the house.

What worked for me is that I made a list. When my feet would hit the floor in the AM, I went through my cleaning list and got the house ready. After a few days, it becomes 2nd nature. Even now that I am under contract, I still find myself doing things to get it in "showing mode". Please take the time to lock up your valuables. I have a footlocker that I locked most things in. As far as paperwork went, I put it in those moving file boxes and labeled it something boring (ex: old socks for Goodwill). *knock on wood* I didn't have too many issues.

Can't help ya with the dogs, but I will say that it will help to make the extra effort though. You don't want to lose a sale because of an allergy attack or for someone being deathly afraid of dogs.

Best of luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,873,530 times
Having just listed our home, we find ourselves in your same situation, minus the dogs. We scrambled to get our home into "show condition". We have asked our Realtor for 2 hours notice. Honestly, though, if she called and said "I'm right outside with a hot prospect", you can bet we'd have our rears out the door PDQ .

As I said, we try to keep the place "show ready", but of course, we still live here. We've made a few adjustments in the way we live day to day. Here are some examples: If you plan to leave the house on any day, you must make sure your room is "show ready" (bed properly made up, no clothes on floor, shades opened). Any sensitive material or valuables must be properly stowed away or taken with you (IPods, cellphones). We've all discovered that our cars make perfectly good emergency rolling storage .

Additionally, we put together a Showings Quicklist and we all know the drill. If there is no showing actively scheduled but all of us plan to be away for the day, the last person leaving makes sure all lights and ceiling fans are on (including closet lights) all window shades are up, all toilet seats are down, all trash is out.

I must admit, it feels a bit strange living like this but you get used to it fairly quickly. If you're worried about bank statements and other valuables, do you have a lockable file drawer or a small safe you could throw them in? To answer your other questions, to our knowledge, nothing has ever been stolen or moved in any of the homes we've sold. People have, however, used the bathrooms...

Good luck with your showings and may you have a quick offer!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 48,581 times
We rented a POD and decluttered and anything we did not need and put in the POD. Anything personal such as financial records and pictures went the POD. Anything that I still needed like checkbook, pc I put these things away so they weren't in plain view.

What did you do with your dogs? I have 2 and I don't think either will like having strangers come in. Did you put them in a cage at the house or take them off-site? I really can't afford doggy day care every day. We have 2 cats so I'm not sure about dogs.

Did you clean your house like crazy every day before work? Not knowing if it will be shown that day? YES, I think this made a big difference. I would take an hour every morning. You have to assume once you put your home on the market that it could be shown at any moment. Windex and paper towels were my best friend.

Did anyone steal anything or do anything to your house when it was showed? No one stole anything, I guess that could happen but the realtor is with a potential buyer so it would be difficult for someone to steal something. I had one potential buyer check the sinks by pulling up the drain stoppers and he left them that way.

I'm planning to put my house on the market soon and any tips / advice in these areas would be really appreciated. I also had a professional stager come in and spend 2 hours in our home. She gave me some really good advice. We decided to update our kitchen and I think that paid off. We also put in new lighting and ceiling fans. I interviewed 3 different realtors and found a fantastic realtor so that made a huge difference.
We had 2 offers the first week and sold our home the 2nd week it was on the market. I think the combination of making sure our home was immaculate,we kept all lights on, decluttering, taking out all personal items (so that a potential buyer can picture their things in your house), fresh flowers, and a great realtor were the reasons why our home sold so quickly.
Also as a side note make sure your house smells good. When we started looking at houses to buy I couldn't believe how many homes had "bad" smells like smoke, musty, animal smells. They would try to cover up the smell with a deoderizer which made it worse.
HTH! Good luck with selling your home.
Melissa

Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

104 posts, read 372,531 times
I have kennels in my back yard so my realtor has to be at all showings so that she can put the dogs out in the kennels. I am petrified another realtor or potential buyer might let them out by mistake. I keep a swifter duster handy and do a 'swipe' as I am walking around the house getting ready for work. I have fresh flowers on the kitchen table and also in the bathroom. I have never had anyone take anything.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,304,757 times
At first it's a little stressful, but you get so used to the routine. I have 2 young children, so things never stay where they belong!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM

7,473 posts, read 21,900,818 times
The dog factor should be in the listing for all realtors to see. Also a note on the back door stating "Dogs in yard, do not enter" If someone loves the house and wants to buy, they will come back to see the yard when your home to deal with the dogs. They can see enough of the yard to know if it's a deal breaker or not. We encountered that situation several times when we were house shopping. Not a big deal.
We had no dogs or children, but had the home on the market for 8 months, so it was an ordeal to keep it perfect at all times. We vacuumed our way out the door every day, and there were many days when I vacuumed several time a day. Every time someone came through, I vacuumed. I couldn't deal with foot prints..! You soon learn where the trails are, so you don't vacuum everything, just where the people walked. We refered to the lookers as "Big Foot!!"

Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM

4,667 posts, read 23,829,063 times
When I sold my house I put a deadbolt on the small hall closet door. We put our guns, valuables, etc in there and explained it was just a hall closet and would be happy to open it when we were home.

Speaking from an inspectors point of view, I prefer the dogs (and cats) be kept in a kennel. The back yard is fine for regular showings, but with a kennel, there isn't a chance that someone will let them out, or get bit.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:52 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,433,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
People have, however, used the bathrooms...
When we looked around the agent used several bathrooms. We thought it was rude to use someone's bathroom without asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>