Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 05:31 AM

188 posts, read 662,635 times

Advertisements

I know everyone is probably laughing at the title , but it's land I am considering selling myself from out of state, not a house! Long story short, we just did a long distance sale with a realtor on our house in California (well, almost, not closed yet) but still own an empty lot next door. Apparently the buyers of our house were not interested in this lot (or at least not yet - maybe that will change when it's on the market ) and it really is not worth much - about 8K-10K or so based on comparables and that would be generous. Our agent that just sold our house seems rather lukewarm on listing this lot - I can see her point, as there's not much commission there but it's also really easy. Take a pic, throw up a sign and you are done. We're planning to ask her again after our house closes (knock on wood).. but..

We aren't in any hurry and aren't in desperate need of the money, we just don't want the liability and the minimal property taxes/hoa fees/yard clearances/etc to deal with from 3K miles away.

I was thinking of just throwing it up on craigslist or ebay and seeing if anyone wanted it. If I have a buyer, what's the next step? I am guessing I'd download a sale contract, call a california escrow company like the one that is working on closing our house and let them handle the rest? Or would it be better to use a 'forsalebyowner' type of website? Or convince another more hungry agent? I don't care as much about the money as I do about the other issues. However, not ready to throw it to the 'we buy land' people either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Why not wait for the house to close and then tell the buyers that you are going to put it on the market for $10,000 but you would give it to them for $8,000.
They may have been too involved with the home purchase to be thinking about buying the extra lot but once the closing goes through they may rethink it.

Or you can stick a for sale sign on it and then rent it out for a dollar a day to some kids to ride 4 wheelers on.
I am sure he would make you a quick offer on it then.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Hahaha.. Yes, we ARE going to offer it to our buyers first.. and THEN plop a sign on it, which may make them change their minds. This is just in case they STILL do not want it.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I personally wouldn't list the lot because the money is not enough. I know it's easy, but the time it would take me to input the listing, gas to put up the sign, and field a few phone calls wouldn't be worth it.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Offer the land to them NOW! if you do they may be able to pay for it with the mortgage they're getting. Once you've closed with them, they're not likely to have the cash to do anything. Another option would be to sell it to them on an owner financed situation as either they or any other adjacent landowner would be the most likely buyer.

If your agent is lukewarm about it, s/he shouldn't be. It's a pretty easy transaction to manage. If I were in their shoes, I'd probably do it for nothing or $500 or so.

Good luck to you in any case.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Too late to offer it to them (loan is a done deal just waiting for recording), but we did via the realtor and they didn't bite. Not sure why, maybe they are on a thin margin as it is. I'd of course offer the realtor a flat rate to list it if that would be preferable.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:20 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Shouldn't realtors doing something just because it is a service to the client from which they already get 6% commision....? Has it all to be big money....isn't helping your client a little bit extra worth something.
It is always very appriciated when people do a little bit extra and that can help with refferals. If i read things like, it is not enough money for me to list... I wouldn't do it, well I understand if you were not involved in the first place but for the agent who is already working towards a closing and is getting money from the deal....to me this person shows what he/she is worth...greed!!! and not a realtor who wants to take one step extra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate