Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 10:49 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job in Florida in January 2020, relocating the last week of March. Despite paid relocation and a bonus, we took a terrible financial hit on every front due to COVID. With hard work and patience, we have recovered financially and are planning to make our first Florida home purchase.

We've rented the same home since moving here. Until this lease term (March 1st - Feb 29th), we had the option to choose 12-month, 7-month or month-to-month lease terms. For this current term, the owner declined 12 months. I don't expect that he will reconsider in 2024.

With the expectation that we would have completed closing and moved into our new home on 2/29/24, when should we engage a realtor? I am not opposed to closing 30-45 days before the end of the lease as that would allow us ample time to move. But I also want to minimize expenses as much as possible.

Suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 11:17 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
I suggest you start looking ASAP and not wait until near the end of the year. Remember that as a potential buyer, there should be no realtor costs, only closing costs when you find the right home to buy. Playing the waiting game until the last couple of months until your lease expires is just asking for trouble. Unless you found the "home of your dreams" and wanted to secure it, you shouldn't have to worry about an Ernst deposit yet.

Old 07-07-2023, 11:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Ymmv

60 days of looking.
15 days for inspections.
60 days for closing.

However, people tend to not want to sell over the Xmas new years holiday. Who wants strangers and inspectors during that time of year?

I would be shooting for a Jan 31 closing, giving you plenty of time for moving. Plus if the place is empty you can paint or whatever before you move in.

So start looking by October.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:27 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Agreed - having this time frame spread across the holidays isn't good for a lot of reasons, the biggest one in my mind would be the lack of available properties during this time of year.

That said, there are probably fewer buyers in the market at that time, too, so it could potentially work to your advantage. However, you'll also have a lot fewer properties on the market as well.

If you have the luxury of being able to handle both places overlapping for a bit, I would try and get into the market right after Labor Day. Properties marketed over the summer will still be listed, but there are probably a lot fewer buyers in the market, too.

RM

Old 07-07-2023, 01:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Start now. Took me 10 months to find the house that worked for me. And that was the year before Covid and buyers and sellers had a more even playing field.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:03 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times
Thanks for the advice. Based on your comments, local trends, and other factors it appears that we probably get serious (as in verified pre-approval, scheduled showings, etc,) by September 1st. Even if the stars aligned perfectly in our favor, we would likely not enter closing before 10/31, leaving only three month months of overlap - which I can handle.

The worst case is a bit harder to figure out - maybe storing all of my crap and buying a small RV. Just thinking about that I'm maybe we should start looking next month.

The anxiety is real.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:09 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I suggest you start looking ASAP and not wait until near the end of the year. Remember that as a potential buyer, there should be no realtor costs, only closing costs when you find the right home to buy. Playing the waiting game until the last couple of months until your lease expires is just asking for trouble. Unless you found the "home of your dreams" and wanted to secure it, you shouldn't have to worry about an Ernst deposit yet.
Deposits aren't named "Ernst". What you're (trying) to refer to is the earnest money deposit.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:44 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Oops, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. No harm, no foul.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:01 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I'd also read my lease carefully, especially the sections related to getting out of the lease early and getting a month to month lease when your current lease ends.

It may be that breaking your current lease is cheaper than storage, alternative housing, etc. It sure as hell is easier!

Old 07-08-2023, 10:55 AM

122 posts, read 82,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I accepted a job in Florida in January 2020, relocating the last week of March. Despite paid relocation and a bonus, we took a terrible financial hit on every front due to COVID. With hard work and patience, we have recovered financially and are planning to make our first Florida home purchase.

We've rented the same home since moving here. Until this lease term (March 1st - Feb 29th), we had the option to choose 12-month, 7-month or month-to-month lease terms. For this current term, the owner declined 12 months. I don't expect that he will reconsider in 2024.

With the expectation that we would have completed closing and moved into our new home on 2/29/24, when should we engage a realtor? I am not opposed to closing 30-45 days before the end of the lease as that would allow us ample time to move. But I also want to minimize expenses as much as possible.

Suggestions appreciated.

You should communicate your intent with your current landlord. Unless they have family planning to move in or some other critical deadline, if they know you are serious and actively looking for a new home to purchase, they should be amenable to allowing you to convert to a month-to-month term at the end of your current fixed term. They may want an increased monthly rate, but it would give you the flexibility you need. Watch your timelines and give proper written notice of vacating once you are locked in on the purchase. If you have been along time, good Tenant, they will likely pro-rate your last days of possession in case the closing is briefly delayed, or there are issues with the movers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate