Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 09:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 992,008 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house in CT over the wkd, and was told by the listing agent, that any property that is sold that has a septic tank must be converted over to the city's sewer system.

I called the town to confirm this, and then asked why. The response I got was, the city's sewer system is safer and more sanitary in the long term. How?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 09:49 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Because it doesn't discharge human waste products into the ground?

This is a no-brainer.

RM

Old 07-17-2023, 09:52 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

This is a no-brainer.

RM
Or into local waterways.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:30 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:

This is a no-brainer.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or into local waterways.
Yes it does both of these things. It just treats it with chemicals and discharges all of it in one place, which to me is not necessarily better. It definitely depends.

OP - Many cities do this to encourage hookup to the sewer because they can control it. Lots of times you can keep your septic but they won't allow replacement if something fails. People should contact the governing health dept and find out the actual rules. Then talk to a septic pump/repair company, because they may tell a different story.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:09 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Among other things, because a thousand houses on 1/5 acre lots each with a septic tank would be a massive cholera breeding ground.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:15 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Among other things, because a thousand houses on 1/5 acre lots each with a septic tank would be a massive cholera breeding ground.

Yes, at some point on small city lots, there just isn't room for septics any more. Out here in the country, that's not an issue. Big part of what depends.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:37 AM

6,472 posts, read 10,338,139 times
OP, if the municipality requires hookup, then it is not optional. Where I live, all homes new and old require hookup to municipal water and sewer. Here, there is an option for using wells, for irrigation only, if they currently exist on a lot but permits are not allowed for new wells in the city limits for residential lots.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,654,173 times
Quote:

This is a no-brainer.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or into local waterways.

A properly designed and functioning system doesn't have an adverse impact on the environment. However, they need adequate room to function and aren't suitable for small lots if everyone has one.

I suspect the bigger driver of the requirement to hook up is to increase revenue into the city water/waste water system.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 992,008 times
Thanks all.

I was not aware this could be a hazard. Cholera - really?

The lot of this particular house is just over an acre.

My first thought is that someone from the local govt is in bed with a company or two who do the work. I hate thinking that way, but there is so much damn corruption, it's hard not to.

I am not buying the house, but I was curious anyway. Always good to learn something. Apparently, the cost to do this is around 20k. Yikes. It was supposedly built into the asking price, so the buyer will not ultimately be responsible for the cost. I have my doubts if that will really work out for whoever buys the house; as I am not a potential buyer, I have not done any comps, but based on the little bit that I have been keeping my eye on certain areas, the asking price seems inline with FMV.

Cheers.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:28 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes it does both of these things. It just treats it with chemicals and discharges all of it in one place, which to me is not necessarily better. It definitely depends.
In a properly functioning septic system chemicals are not used. It's strictly reliant on the bacterial breakdown of the effluent entering from the house.

Solids drop to the bottom, grease and oils on the top, and liquid and broken down effluent flow out to the drain field, where the liquid can percolate into the ground, which removes all the nasty stuff, like coliform and other such things that are bad for us.

Think of a septic tank as a giant bacteria farm. There are such things known as "advanced septic" systems that involve a more complex setup with multiple tanks and things like aerobic digesters.

Please don't put chemicals into a septic system. You can wreak some serious havoc by doing so.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate