Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 03:36 PM

27 posts, read 30,816 times

Advertisements

I signed a contract to purchase a new home build in a housing community. The builder, in conjunction with a real estate firm, offered a home selling program to buyers that need to sell their existing home. This real estate firm would help to screen potential real estate agents and send them to me to interview. This process was supposed to help me sell my existing home without hassle because they would screen out and find the top selling agents in my location.

Has anyone out there had any experience with a program like this? Did it work for you or was it a failure?

I ran into a problem with this program and it didn't work for me. The real estate firm's agent failed to return calls, texts or emails in a timely manner. Wasted a lot of time waiting and eventually I had to find my own real estate agent without this program. This delayed selling my home and cost me money in lost value. My home remains unsold in a bad market.

Do I have any legal recourse to pursue action against the real estate firm's agent that handles this home selling program through the builder? What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 03:45 PM

43,326 posts, read 77,188,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavylines View Post
I signed a contract to purchase a new home build in a housing community. The builder, in conjunction with a real estate firm, offered a home selling program to buyers that need to sell their existing home. This real estate firm would help to screen potential real estate agents and send them to me to interview. This process was supposed to help me sell my existing home without hassle because they would screen out and find the top selling agents in my location.

Has anyone out there had any experience with a program like this? Did it work for you or was it a failure?

I ran into a problem with this program and it didn't work for me. The real estate firm's agent failed to return calls, texts or emails in a timely manner. Wasted a lot of time waiting and eventually I had to find my own real estate agent without this program. This delayed selling my home and cost me money in lost value. My home remains unsold in a bad market.

Do I have any legal recourse to pursue action against the real estate firm's agent that handles this home selling program through the builder? What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Read your contracts.
I expect that the builder and firm contract made YOU the principal and decisionmaker in choice of agent you selected, and fully responsible for your choice.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:02 PM

6,039 posts, read 3,758,387 times
Quote:

Thanks.
If the builder was so certain that the real estate agent could sell your house quickly and for a price that would please you, then the builder should have just taken your house on trade and all you would have had to pay was the difference in price between your house and his plus any remaining mortgage amount on your present home.

Of course, the builder is not at all likely to do this unless you would agree to accept a ridiculously low price for your house on trade. It appears that you were simply persuaded to purchase the new house with promises of how easy it would be to sell your current house for a good price. Unfortunately, it appears that reality does not match your expectations.

If you have in fact closed on the purchase of the new house and still own the old/existing house, then you may need to do some serious price reductions on your old house in order to sell it in today's market.

As to any "legal recourse" against the builder, it's highly unlikely unless he promised IN WRITING that your house would sell for X dollars in Y days and that promise hasn't been met even though the time limit has been exceeded.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:09 PM

14,507 posts, read 12,155,143 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Sounds like a Referral program where a firm working with your new home builder referred you to a few names that you interviewed, and you chose an Agent who didn't work out? So you hired another agent on your own?

Is that accurate?

Mike's right in saying read your contracts, I am pretty sure it's your name, not the referral firm, who made the decisions and signed those contracts.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:52 PM

27 posts, read 30,816 times
Default RE: Realtor's Program to Help Sell Your Home

Thank you for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate