Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 02:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,181,396 times

Advertisements

I am writing this under real estate but if it needs to be moved please let me know

Facts:

Daughter is a property manager for rentals at a real estate office. She has worked for the firm 5 years but has been in this position since Jan 2022 when she acquired her PM license. The director left at that time and they interviewed for another director. After several months and no one was hired they gave the position to my daughter.

She was never involved with the financial end of the business. She never wrote checks or was aware of how the bookkeeper was paying vendors. Her mistake (yes, a big one) is that she didn’t always get approval from the homeowners before getting the repairs taken care of. Not an excuse, merely an explanation was that she was overwhelmed, the repairs in her opinion had to be done and she just moved forward and had them taken care of. She kept excellent records and submitted everything properly to the bookkeeper who issued the checks. My daughter assumed it was from operating expenses but has come to learn it was being taken from a trust fund account. She had no way of knowing this.

She found out that some of the homeowners that did not give their approval will not pay their bill. It also seems that the bookkeeper took the money out of the wrong account and that is why no one noticed the account dwindling (personally this makes no sense…isn’t anyone monitoring the finances of all the accounts? Isn’t anyone supervising someone inexperienced in this new position.

They want my daughter to be financially responsible for this amount ($10,000). They said if they recoup any money they will refund her. They admitted there was absolutely no wrongdoing as far as misuse of funds. Merely a loss due to unintentional mistake.

We live in South Carolina. Can an employer hold an employee financially responsible for a mistake in the normal course of business? Again, there was no misuse or inappropriate use of funds.

Should we contact an attorney? If so, what type?

Any other questions please ask as I want to be as transparent as possible to get the information we need.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 04:03 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Yes to attorney. I'm in NC and this would be very serious here.

Her license is likely at stake.
She needs an attorney with experience defending licensees against claims like this and disciplinary action from the regulatory agency.

You might ask Brandon Hoffman for input.
He's a knowledgeable SC agent and can probably advise you better than about anyone else who might chime in on this.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:20 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes to attorney. I'm in NC and this would be very serious here.

Her license is likely at stake.
She needs an attorney with experience defending licensees against claims like this and disciplinary action from the regulatory agency.

You might ask Brandon Hoffman for input.
He's a knowledgeable SC agent and can probably advise you better than about anyone else who might chime in on this.
Agreed. In Oregon, she would likely lose her license. Not sure how they train property managers in SC, but here it is clear that funds are in a client trust account and they have strict monetary tracking rules. Out here real estate agents and the PM are responsible for the books. They can hire a bookkeeper, but that doesn't absolve them of responsibility and accounting. Authorizing repairs without permission would be a big problem here.

This is why real estate brokerages carry errors and omissions insurance.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:46 PM

Thank you both. I just sent this to Brandon per your suggestion.

My daughter is aware she will be terminated. She is also aware that she will lose her license.

Her main concern is being responsible financially.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:23 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Does she have E&O insurance? Does the property itself carry association insurance for the Board and property manager's actions? She needs here own attorney to advise her, but don't let the Board or owners try an cast all the blame on her.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Yes, she needs an attorney, a criminal defense attorney because she could potentially be prosecuted.

Her employers may be playing nice now, in the hope that she agrees to fork over $10,000.

If she balks, they might move toward prosecution.

Meantime, she needs to stop talking to her employers, or anybody else about it, including you and especially not law enforcement if it comes to that.

The only words out of her mouth from now on is "I'll talk to my lawyer."

Watch this video to find out why. Have her watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjCJ6Xqjg0

Old 09-09-2023, 09:08 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Seems there are two different problems here. One is not getting authorization. I have a house under management and the contract states I give authorization for expenses over 300, otherwise what's the point of management if you are pestered by every little thing. Were the repairs an emergency? Seems state law might have allowances for that.

Second issue is checks being written on a trust fund. Is that the fund for deposits? Definitely not allowed but that's on the bookkeeper. Is the daughter responsible for the bookkeeper? That's a question for the lawyer.

So I agree the daughter should lawyer up but not sure it comes to criminal malfeasance on her part.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yes, she needs an attorney, a criminal defense attorney because she could potentially be prosecuted.

Her employers may be playing nice now, in the hope that she agrees to fork over $10,000.

If she balks, they might move toward prosecution.

Meantime, she needs to stop talking to her employers, or anybody else about it, including you and especially not law enforcement if it comes to that.

The only words out of her mouth from now on is "I'll talk to my lawyer."

Watch this video to find out why. Have her watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjCJ6Xqjg0

That video is amazing. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Does she have E&O insurance? Does the property itself carry association insurance for the Board and property manager's actions? She needs here own attorney to advise her, but don't let the Board or owners try an cast all the blame on her.
She says she has E&O insurance.

She also states she never told the bookkeeper which account to take it out of. She had no access to anything financial. The computer printout she has shows a screen that has all of the accounts on a top corner. It says Operating, Trust and Escrow. She never got involved in which account it came out of.

Tomorrow morning she will start contacting an attorney.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:39 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
any update on what happened? or is happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate