Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I honestly think a good real estate can be very helpful selling a home. However, the six percent commission is not ethical in all situations. That must be faced.
As you know, a 6% commission is a consumer choice in your market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 12:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
In Colorado we are allowed to practice law by filling out state approved forms.
Same here in Florida and probably all states that don't require an attorney to close on a home.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:02 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many attorneys engage agents because the attorneys have better things to do.
That doesn't make sense.

Yes, a R.E. lawyer won't go touring with me, or rearrange the furniture, etc.

Those functions are superfluous to the actual sale of the property.

I've had countless experiences with agents who claim to be experts in their locale, but can't answer questions like "what's the zoning for this address?", "if I want to build a garage on this property, what are the setbacks?", "are there any easements?", "since this is a short sale, when could I actually take possession?"...

Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
That doesn't make sense.

Yes, a R.E. lawyer won't go touring with me, or rearrange the furniture, etc.

Those functions are superfluous to the actual sale of the property....
What other common agent roles would you give an attorney a pass on, while bleating "An attorney can do anything an agent can do?"
Will the attorney do all an agent can do or not do the things an agent can do?
How many real estate attorneys work evenings and weekends?
How many have you worked with who have full MLS access, including attached documents.

Who picked the agents you spoke with? It is not hard for a competent consumer to pick a competent agent.

Old 04-03-2024, 02:24 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
What other common agent roles would you give an attorney a pass on, while bleating "An attorney can do anything an agent can do?"
Will the attorney do all an agent can do or not do the things an agent can do?
How many real estate attorneys work evenings and weekends?
How many have you worked with who have full MLS access, including attached documents.

Who picked the agents you spoke with? It is not hard for a competent consumer to pick a competent agent.
If they do everything an agent does, don't they just become real estate agents with a law degree with the primary difference being they'll charge differently and presumably more, and the consumer pays whether they get a home or not?

Old 04-03-2024, 02:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
I've had countless experiences with agents who claim to be experts in their locale, but can't answer questions like "what's the zoning for this address?"
Any realtor worth their salt can easily provide that information based on what the municipality has already assigned within minutes at no additional charge to the client or the realtor. Such information is public record and most municipalities have internet sites that clearly show that designation for a home/piece of property. My MLS has (or had) a field on the listings that the listing realtor was supposed to fill out indicating zoning. I don't know if it still does, but I am not up to date with our local MLS policies/rules currently.

The quoted part above indicates a lazy realtor. I was an active realtor in Florida for about 3-4 years and always provided that information with every listing (buyer or seller) as it is easily available. There will always be some municipalities that do not follow that standard, but for my example it doesn't matter.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
I've had countless experiences with agents who claim to be experts in their locale, but can't answer questions like "what's the zoning for this address?", "if I want to build a garage on this property, what are the setbacks?", "are there any easements?", "since this is a short sale, when could I actually take possession?"...
This can go a few ways. Are you contacting a random buyer agent off zillow or something?
Are you calling a listing agent?
Are you asking your buyer agent that you hired?

I am a local expert. I don't know everything about every property I list. Sometimes I get calls asking unusual questions that I don't know an answer to without looking into it. Why do you believe an attorney would automatically know every answer w/o doing any research or verifying if they aren't sure.

Let's take your setback question. You want to build a garage, what are the setbacks? So let's say it's in Chapin and the Richland and Lexington Co lines zig zag through there. I have to check the county to where it's located first. Let's say it's Lexington Co. They have different set back requirements for different structure types and also depending on how the land is zoned. Will the garage be attached or detached? Will it be commercial or residential usage? Will any of have living space? Is there an HOA you'd need permission from? Are there lines or easements where you want to build?

If I'm the listing agent, I probably need to look it up. If I'm not the listing agent, I certainly need to look it up.

You see, sometimes a simple question isn't so simple, but you don't seem to realize that. It's a problem with the internet generation. Everyone expects immediate answers and immediate gratification.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If they do everything an agent does, don't they just become real estate agents with a law degree with the primary difference being they'll charge differently and presumably more, and the consumer pays whether they get a home or not?
I know several attorneys who became agents but no agents who became attorneys.
Most attorneys have better things to do.

I know an agent who was an attorney whom I would hire to sell my house. He has a clue.
I've had a couple of attorney clients I would call if I needed a litigator.
They dang sure don't aspire to go to home inspections or answer client calls at Sunday brunch.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:01 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
...How many have you worked with who have full MLS access, including attached documents.
The MLS is an antiquated system which is slowly being rendered moot, e.g. having flat-fee listing services has been a boon to those sellers that don't want to be held hostage by agents.

Quote:
That's a clever attempt at a put-down
With their flashy marketing materials, and hollow credentials, it's very easy for an agent to appear competent when really they're just an empty suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You see, sometimes a simple question isn't so simple, but you don't seem to realize that. It's a problem with the internet generation. Everyone expects immediate answers and immediate gratification.
Why yes, that's the imperative which drives progress; to make things easier/faster/cheaper. Some professions (like insurance agents, and R.E. agents) will soon be made obsolete by automation. It's been coming for a while, but this recent class action ruling should be your clarion call to pivot career-wise.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The MLS is an antiquated system which is slowly being rendered moot, e.g. having flat-fee listing services has been a boon to those sellers that don't want to be held hostage by agents.

That's a clever attempt at a put-down
With their flashy marketing materials, and hollow credentials, it's very easy for an agent to appear competent when really they're just an empty suit.

Why yes, that's the imperative which drives progress; to make things easier/faster/cheaper. Some professions (like insurance agents, and R.E. agents) will soon be made obsolete by automation. It's been coming for a while, but this recent class action ruling should be your clarion call to pivot career-wise.
Chapter and Verse from the Real Estate Manual of Cluelessness.
Sheesh.
1. MLS is the venue for REALTORS to post their flat fee listings. No other venue gets as much traffic.
2. I get it. You aren't responsible for your choices. It's a common position.
3. No one with competence, knowledge and skills believes for a moment that "automation" is the replacement for good agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate