Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM

188 posts, read 550,831 times

Advertisements

How do those of you with children handle showings around or after your children's bedtime? We got a call today about a showing at 6:30, which is about the time my one year old son goes to bed. My husband said that they could come as long as they left by 7:00. I took my son for a walk and finally saw the family show up at 6:50. They stayed until 7:30. I sat on the back porch with my son, who was having a total meltdown. They saw us on the back porch with him crying but they stayed another 20 minutes. I was fuming and finally barged in and put him down for bed. It probably wasn't my best move, but the poor boy was miserable.

Any advice on showings around or after bedtime?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You did the right thing. I've shown many a home where we're met at the door by a mom who tells us the baby is asleep / sick and not to go in the babies room with the note on the door.

If we really like the house, we'll make arangements to be back for another look and can see the room at that time.

Late in the evening most people understand about dinner and bed times. Just do the best you can.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks so much. That makes me feel better. It was odd because the couple had young children in tow, so I thought they'd be more understanding.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Default Consideration is a good thing

I try to be aware of family situations and keep my buyers on the move if needed.

Hopefully they were lingering cause they liked the house and will be back to see it again and then bring you a full price offer.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
If they want to see the house past your child's bedtime let them know you will be in the house as your child goes to bed, and that they won't be able to go in that one room. Often times parents will just open the door quietly as we peek in.

Most likely your home is going to be on the market for a while. That will be stressful enough. This other stuff can be easily worked around. Selling your home doesn't mean you become a doormat. There is usually a very workable solution for most issues.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
I asked this very thing when I put my house on the market. Our very first showing was late at night, well after the kiddos bedtime. We accomodated the showing since it was our first. We decided that anything after 8pm was a no-go. A 6:30 bedtime is a bit harder since most people get off of work around 6pm. Going forward, if there is a showing when or after your son goes to bed, just advise the buyer's agent that your child will already be in bed, but you are happy to make yourself scarce for the showing.

That's what I did when people dropped by during the kiddos naptime. Literally dropped by. They peaked their head in the room and moved around quietly. I took the video monitor and stepped outside so they could speak freely.

Don't feel bad about this showing. You did what you had to do. Like Silverfall said, you don't have to become a doormat, but while your home is on the market, you may have to accomodate some of those "after work" showings. Stinks, I know, but it's one of the prices we pay to sell the house. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks everyone. We actually got a full price offer last night, four days after we put the home on the market. The couple (who saw the house twice on Sunday) is doing a relo (as are we), and want to close in two weeks. The inconvience of moving in two weeks is definitely better than having to continue showing the house. My hope is that the sale goes through and that I won't have to worry about bed time anymore!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTPot View Post
Thanks everyone. We actually got a full price offer last night, four days after we put the home on the market. The couple (who saw the house twice on Sunday) is doing a relo (as are we), and want to close in two weeks. The inconvience of moving in two weeks is definitely better than having to continue showing the house. My hope is that the sale goes through and that I won't have to worry about bed time anymore!

Most Excellent!
Hope it all goes well!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTPot View Post

You are so lucky. What is your secret?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Congrats! We had the same issue with our kids; they go to bed quite early. The realtor put on our listing no showings after 7 pm. Of course this didn't stop realtors from trying, but I let them know the kids go to bed promptly at 7:30. I had one realtor BEG to let her clients in at 7:15. I told her no problem, just please be prompt. I took the kids out came home at 7:45, no realtor. I called her and she said her clients were hung up in traffic, they would be by in a bit.

I told her to reschedule. I HATE turning people away, but when it comes to the expense of my kids I won't budge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate