Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:32 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times

Advertisements

Seems counter intuitive, I know. Traditional thinking would tell you that lower mortgage rates gives buyers more spending power, bringing more buyers to the market, and driving up prices. But what about all the people with 3% mortgages who would like to upgrade to a larger house, but the thought of paying 8% interest on a more expensive house keeps them put? Would a significant drop in rates, say down to 4.25% or so, cause a wave of houses flooding the market as people look to upgrade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 08:48 PM

6,493 posts, read 10,381,393 times
Impossible to predict accurately when and if it will. As interest rates drop, more buyers usually can afford bigger/upgraded homes that they previously could not afford. As inventory of available/affordable homes is reduced, prices tend to go up. We haven't seen the building booms that were more common prior to the big housing collapse around 2005-2007.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:07 PM

6,054 posts, read 3,774,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Seems counter intuitive, I know. Traditional thinking would tell you that lower mortgage rates gives buyers more spending power, bringing more buyers to the market, and driving up prices. But what about all the people with 3% mortgages who would like to upgrade to a larger house, but the thought of paying 8% interest on a more expensive house keeps them put? Would a significant drop in rates, say down to 4.25% or so, cause a wave of houses flooding the market as people look to upgrade?
IMO, Yes. It would stimulate the housing market considerably.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:08 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,113,367 times
My guess would be higher demand for larger more luxurious homes or homes in more expensive areas if and when rates drop significantly. Since it's been several years since many families have been in cheap mortgage prison and simply couldn't justify an upgrade. But there have been many housing downgrades where homeowners paid off their cheap mortgages and used the remaining equity to pay for their lower priced; new homes in cash. Of course this is all a big guess.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:45 AM

4,885 posts, read 3,312,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
IMO, Yes. It would stimulate the housing market considerably.

Might result in more listings as people are more willing/able to buy something new... but I wouldn't expect it to bring prices down (which was the original question). If anything, I'd expect prices to go up as people see 'how much more house they can afford' due to the lower interest rate.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:12 AM

43,353 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Might result in more listings as people are more willing/able to buy something new... but I wouldn't expect it to bring prices down (which was the original question). If anything, I'd expect prices to go up as people see 'how much more house they can afford' due to the lower interest rate.

Low interest rates created much of the extreme fervor in the markets and pricing pre-2023.

Significantly lower interest rates would certainly revitalize and increase demand and buyer competition, without assurance of increase in supply. Supply was an issue vs. demand in most markets during almost all of the frenzied <4% interest rate period.
If anything, I would expect that demand increase spurred by any significantly lower interest rates would put upward pressure on prices, and particularly if supply of homes to purchase does not outstrip demand created.

Supply/Demand
Econ 101

Old 01-26-2024, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Here, I think it would have the opposite effect. Currently homes here are still selling quickly at or above asking because inventory is so low and so many have cash, so interest rates make no difference. When the interest rates drop, many more buyers will jump into the competition, and while there may also be more homes for sale, it will still not be enough. Today our median home is at 1.46 million, down only .3% from before the interest rates jumped.

I also expect that in the less expensive areas where there are "starter" homes the prices will go up because so many first time buyers will suddenly be unleashed. Except in a recession like 2008, home prices and interest rates tend to balance out in favor of the sellers, you rarely see low prices and low interest rates, but like now, you do see high prices and high interest rates.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:10 AM

11,834 posts, read 34,467,731 times
The interest rate is in the 6s currently. In Metro Denver days on market was 34 in December, now that interest rates are lower days on market is 19. Anything less than 90 days is a sellers market where buyers are competing. Where there is competition for property, buyers get creative.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:07 PM

4,578 posts, read 2,715,507 times
Well, one could possibly construct a theoretical scenario where it could happen the way OP imagines it (lower interest rates induce enough people who want to move, to place their houses on the market, that it drives prices down (a BIT). But let's consider that the insanely low interest rates of the last 10 years have stimulated such a frenzy of house buying that there just can't be that much pent-up demand. I think the pattern of the recent past would be repeated.

Keep in mind that owner-occupants aren't the only factor. For example, decrease interest rates and houses will look like a more appealing investment to investors, who will start buying again, increasing demand and creating upward price pressure.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:58 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
No. Pricing goes down when supply outstrips demand.

Interest rate (according to people that seem to know better) aren't always correlated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate