Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 09:37 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times

Advertisements

I recently moved close by 1 of my rental properties. There is currently the same family living there for 3 years. They want to remain there. The lease is up on 4/30. I can't really justify having property management now that I can do that myself. Previously I was several states away.

I notified the property manager that I want to regain control of the property. This was to occur when the current lease runs out.

Now here's the rub. If the tenants remain, the property managers want 12 months worth of property management fees. If the tenants move out, then I end the management agreement and get the keys back.

So it looks like my choices are:

1. Kick the tenant out. End the management agreement.
2. Regain control and pay several thousands of dollars for that privilege.
3. Let the current people continue to manage the property and pay the fee out of the monthly rent. The current tenants would do a new 1 or more year lease.

Is this a standard practice for other management companies? Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

I'd like to keep the current tenants. But I can't justify paying what seems to be what amounts to a shakedown fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:35 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
"If the tenants remain, the property managers want 12 months worth of property management fees."

So....#1- assuming they are going to be managing the property for those 12 months, it sounds like they were expecting 1 year's notice before you quit them?

OR

#2- Do they want a 12 month "shakedown fee" while NOT managing the property?

I couldn't tell by your description if #1 or #2, or something else.

If it's #1, why fight it? If you've been happy with them all these years and it's in the contract, enjoy your last year not being a property manager. If #2, then get a magnifying glass on that contract.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"If the tenants remain, the property managers want 12 months worth of property management fees."

So....#1- assuming they are going to be managing the property for those 12 months, it sounds like they were expecting 1 year's notice before you quit them?

OR

#2- Do they want a 12 month "shakedown fee" while NOT managing the property?

I couldn't tell by your description if #1 or #2, or something else.

If it's #1, why fight it? If you've been happy with them all these years and it's in the contract, enjoy your last year not being a property manager. If #2, then get a magnifying glass on that contract.

It's very likely this contract language is put there to deter bad faith landlords, who are looking to get a discounted tenant placement, then cancel the PM contract. For me, I charge a significantly lower placement fee on managed units than I do for placement-only deals. I want the long term client, so that's why I do it this way. If I know a client is living close to the managed unit, I usually won't take them on as a client, since it can sometimes mean they're going to be nitpicking my management and oversight of the unit, leading to unnecessarily frequent communication. Ultimately for the OP, they agreed to this term in the contract, upon signing it, so if they want out, then they owe what they agreed to pay.

OP, why do you want to manage the property now? What makes you a good property manager? Is it worth saving the small percentage of the monthly rent to now be the sole point of contact for all things at the property? Do you have another complaint about this PMC, other than they have a sticky contract?

Old 02-21-2024, 08:34 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
What does the contract say?

Read the contract you signed.

Don't like it? Don't sign it.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:29 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Agree. It call comes down to the contract.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:20 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What does the contract say?

Read the contract you signed.

Don't like it? Don't sign it.
^^This.^^

They can "want" in one hand and ... in the other. Unless you have a contract stating otherwise.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:39 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
If your contract states that they get 12 months, then that is what you agreed to. If not, then say no.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:55 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Let the management company handle this property for the next 12 months. But raise the rent to market at renewal if you have been below market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate