Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 12:07 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Mine are "quiet and responsibly run," too, but they're not neighbors, which I used to have and miss. It frays the fabric of a neighborhood when customers come and go and real people don't live there. They've also been the target of petty crime when empty, which makes the area more dangerous than it was previously.
I am sure it differs by community, but just in my town's case (year-round population about 350), these are not suburban or city neighborhoods but decent-but-modest homes on large wooded lots, almost without exception -- and as ALL of my neighbors are year-round and snowbird neighbors who don't rent their homes out when they are away, I admit that my neighborhood might not be typical of other communities who have many STR's. We are all (year-rounders and snowbirders) very introverted, so even if there were some obnoxious renters, I doubt if they would bother us very much as we can't really hear much outside of our own homes and yards due to the fact that the lots are all at least and acre and heavily wooded. (It is very quiet and beautiful here, and people who come here are mostly nature-lovers and/o artists of various kinds, not 'party animals', and II think that most of them come to get away from the noise of urban life.) I have been living here for almost four years now -- and my neighbors have been living here for an average of about 20 years -- and none of us has ever encountered a difficulty due to having STR's on our road. (Knock wood!)

That being said, however, I have read that some people other towns in our county HAVE had difficulties with short-term renters, and there have been some very angry "letters to the editor". Again, I think it all goes back to the fact that often different people have different viewpoints often due to their personal experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 12:35 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
OP, if it makes you feel better you could have someone look into renting it and seeing if they're being discerning as to whom they rent to.

Last place I went through wanted the names and ages of everyone there, others won't rent to you if under 25 etc. but those are mostly beach places so perhaps a risk of the house party rental situation.

Or, just let it roll for 6 months and see if they either give up or if there are no real issues and if there are then move forward from that point.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:56 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here in my Southern Maryland county the County Commissioners talk about STDs at most meetings (Special Tax Districts).
I thought that was something you take penicillin for.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:53 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I live in a 35 year old neighborhood in a suburb of a very popular tourist city. The neighborhood is secluded, and quiet and for the most part retirees live here. All are owner occupied. There were original covenants, but no HOA.

The houses sale prices are averaging about $400k. Most houses are very well maintained. Someone just found out that a house on my street, which did need some TLC, was quietly bought in December for $222k, some repairs were done, and now it is being advertised on Airbnb as a STR for up to 14 people.

This does not sit well with anyone. It could be perfectly legal, or not. Where do we begin?
Find out where the main electrical disconnect is for the house.

Old 02-06-2024, 03:42 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Find out where the main electrical disconnect is for the house.
Haha, no.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Agreed. My community has 1,761 homes of which are 64 registered STR. Who knows how many more aren't listed? Part of our historic district is now >50% STR. Out-of-state 'investors' are buying up homes and having bidding wars -- ultimately pricing out locals who can no longer afford to buy or rent a house.
Yes; I live in a historic district, too. When I moved in, I had 11 neighbors; we all knew each other and chatted. Now I have two, neither very close to my house. As a woman living alone, I find that disquieting.

I think it's quite ridiculous! As I said, we're not "a tourist destination," so I don't know who they think wants to spend the night here. I suppose they must manage to find people who do, though.

Personally, I prefer hotels...

Old 02-07-2024, 09:28 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We have become a full blown tourist destination and the guideline's are all over the place and not sure what’s legal and what’s not. I do know in the city boundary’s which we live in there is a zone where short term rentals are allowed but they are regulated by the city. Homeowners must disclose they are short term rentals to the city I; these cases. In other areas of the city neighbors are turning homeowners in who do short term rentals and neighborhoods are trying to ban them through their HOA’s

We have noticed though that so many people have bought rentals and converted them to vacation rentals and that there seems to be a glut of them now. This has taken away rentals for people who just need a place to live and work here.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have noticed though that so many people have bought rentals and converted them to vacation rentals and that there seems to be a glut of them now. This has taken away rentals for people who just need a place to live and work here.
It's also taking away SFHs from people who want to buy them to LIVE there (inventory is very low due to investors buying with cash, often sight-unseen, and waiving inspections), make them their homes, and become part of the community, and that's bad for society, IMO.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:54 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
It's also taking away SFHs from people who want to buy them to LIVE there (inventory is very low due to investors buying with cash, often sight-unseen, and waiving inspections), make them their homes, and become part of the community, and that's bad for society, IMO.
This is a BIG problem in our area, too. It is a mostly affluent area, and 'ordinary' working people who actually want to move here and live here year-round are in competition with investors who are willing to spend more.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:21 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Yes; I live in a historic district, too. When I moved in, I had 11 neighbors; we all knew each other and chatted. Now I have two, neither very close to my house. As a woman living alone, I find that disquieting.

I think it's quite ridiculous! As I said, we're not "a tourist destination," so I don't know who they think wants to spend the night here. I suppose they must manage to find people who do, though.

Personally, I prefer hotels...
I am sorry about your situation.

We're down the road from a VT ski town. While there are ample hotel and condo rentals on the mountain, and some just outside of it, there are those who want an entire house, with all the stereotypical trappings of VT. It's almost as though they view the state as a Disney park.

Houses once occupied year-round by families are now empty part of the year and rent on AirBnb for a ridiculous amount of money. At least once every couple of months potential residents post to a local FB group begging to find affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate