Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2024, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,932 times

Advertisements

We have sold and are due to close on our existing home in a few weeks. They have waived inspections and have toured the home twice. They love it and are anxious to take ownership/ move in. We are told there is a final walk-thru to be competed the day before closing of which they are to sign off that they accept the home the way it is.

The buyers agent has been horrible to deal with. She has called to scream at our realtor and hung up on her and attempted to do the same to me. Numerous times. I actually had our lawyer send a "courtesy letter" to her and her managing broker about this. Seemingly very mentally unstable. We are trying to be patient to get this over with at this point. Water, septic and termite all came back good along with the appraisal. We have gone so far as to request separate rooms during the closing as to not have to deal with her or the buyers.

The buyers want to close earlier than agreed and we simply cannot. We had found a place to rent until our new home is built and recently discovered black mold in the basement from a leaking water heater. Needless to say we are stressed to the max and simply cannot close any earlier that our agreement states.
We are not looking forward to this walk-thru. This is a VA loan so I'm assuming this is standard? What is there to expect? Our home isn’t perfect and it wasn’t when they viewed it… twice. My nerves are frazzled to say the least and I don't want to say something stupid during this thing if the buyer’s agent says something out of line or has an off “polar” day.

Any insight or advice?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 08:19 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Walk-thru is standard procedure with any home purchase regardless of lender.
It’s really just a looksy to make sure the house is in pretty much the same condition as when offer was made and agreement to purchase.
It’s also to verify that any repairs or conditions agreed to in the contract have been met.
Usually not a big deal, but sometimes there can be something that arises that could potentially delay a closing. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Final walk through is a buyer option in most contracts, doesn't have anything to do with VA.

The purpose is just to make sure the house is in the condition it was in when they agreed to buy, and nothing has changed.

Ideally house should be empty and you wouldn't even need to be there.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:19 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
things such as to make sure you didn't damage the floors moving out, that you left the refrigerator as per contract, make sure there isn't a water stain on your ceiling from a new leak. With everything removed, now can see areas that weren't accessible during other visits. A seller could be hiding/covering up something. A lot of times the walk-thrus are scheduled just an hour or two before closing. They aren't meant to be a reinspection with trade experts combing over with a magnifying glass. Best of luck and take a deep breath.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:18 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Apparently OP's agent didn't bother to explain the process. A final walk-through is normal.

A request to move up the closing date is just that...a request. OP is only obliged to close on the agreed date.

By the way, the contract very likely specifies empty and broom-clean. No leaving stuff just because it's inconvenient to get rid of it.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Tell your agent that you don't want to be there for the walk through and make it their responsibility to chaperone the buyer and the insane realtor.

As others pointed out, the final walkthrough is a standard option. Our daughter's realtor (when buying) told her it was a waste of time and talked her out of it. So they didn't notice that the broken dishwasher hadn't been fixed or replaced prior to assuming ownership. Her realtor had to buy her a new dishwasher and get it installed, etc. Fortunately she didn't hesitate to make them whole.

You can also complain to the realtor board that the buyer's agent created a hostile environment, was unprofessional, and required you to pay lawyer's fees to restrain her. She can be fined, suspended, forced to pay restitution, or her have her license revoked for behavior like that. She shouldn't be contacting you directly (unless you agreed to this) either. The same goes for her broker for tolerating/facilitating her egregious behavior. Honestly, YOUR realtor should be doing this on your behalf, but most agents don't like to upset the sandbox.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:42 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
We are NEVER present during final walk through. But we make sure we leave the place totally empty (unless agreed upon items per contract are to be left) and we leave it move in clean both inside and outside.

But technically, sellers just need to totally move out, leave it “broom clean” and secure the property.

As buyers, we certainly don’t want to have sellers present when we do final walk through. That was we can made snarky statements about unclean toilets or dog poop in the yard. The sellers were present once when we showed up for a final walk thru on a purchase because their movers had stranded them. Wow that was a mess!

You can’t accommodate an early possession request, so you simply apologize and hold tight. That’s what contracts are for.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:31 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
It has been years since I either bought or sold a house with a VA loan but I don't remember being able to sell a property 'as is' or 'without inspection' with a VA loan. If a property doesn't meet VA standards as determined by the VA approved inspector (including things like dry rot in doorway trim) it cannot go to closing with a VA guaranteed loan. The VA inspection was done very early in the process between offer and closing. It was not the final walkthru (The things the VA wrote up took a little time to fix like cutting out trim on a patio door and replacing and priming it, confirming drainage of the foundation, I can't remember if the Radon inspection was part of it or seperate) Maybe things have changed in recent years but I had problems with some properties even refusing to allow us to look at the property because we were using VA financing (I was in the Air Force at the time and mortgage rates were above 13% at the time, VA was the only option)

The Final walk thru was to make sure the seller left it 'broom clean', fixtures and appliances which were supposed to be included, no damaged floors or walls.

As far as moving the date up - As others said they have made a request. If it doesn't work for you than don't agree to it. If it is negotiable than negotiate and get something for the inconvenience.

And the hard to deal with buyers agent. I would just tell them ONE TIME to deal with my agent. I would tell my agent that I am sorry but it is up to him/her to deal with the buyers agent. If they need to involve professional organizations and processes to resolve the issue to do it but that I am not dealing with that person.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:05 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It has been years since I either bought or sold a house with a VA loan but I don't remember being able to sell a property 'as is' or 'without inspection' with a VA loan. If a property doesn't meet VA standards as determined by the VA approved inspector (including things like dry rot in doorway trim) it cannot go to closing with a VA guaranteed loan. The VA inspection was done very early in the process between offer and closing. It was not the final walkthru (The things the VA wrote up took a little time to fix like cutting out trim on a patio door and replacing and priming it, confirming drainage of the foundation, I can't remember if the Radon inspection was part of it or seperate) Maybe things have changed in recent years but I had problems with some properties even refusing to allow us to look at the property because we were using VA financing (I was in the Air Force at the time and mortgage rates were above 13% at the time, VA was the only option)
Here, I’m afraid you’re confusing a home inspection with appraisal.

The appraisal process may flag condition items like you remember. An appraiser does walk through the house and look for obvious and visible disqualifying defects, but it is not a home inspection. A home inspection, while strongly recommended by most everyone involved in real estate, is not required.

And as you say, both are separate and apart from the final walk-through, which is mostly to verify that the home is in the condition it is supposed to be in at possession, per the purchase agreement.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-10-2024 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 08:46 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Here, I’m afraid you’re confusing a home inspection with appraisal.

The appraisal process may flag condition items like you remember. An appraiser does walk through the house and look for obvious and visible disqualifying defects, but it is not a home inspection. A home inspection, while strongly recommended by most everyone involved in real estate, is not required.

And as you say, both are separate and apart from the final walk-through, which is mostly to verify that the home is in the condition it is supposed to be in at possession, per the purchase agreement.

As I remember it (and it was a more than a few years ago) There was a separate appraisal by the VA (where they checked that the specifications of the house (bedroom size and a bunch of other factors that we all take for granted in the last couple generations) and a physical inspection that made sure the physical structure was up to standards (insect, dry rot, exterior grade doors, drainage, etc) I actually found the VA inspector on that house appeared to be more thorough than the inspector I paid for. But maybe that was just the local area (Tidewater VA, a lot of military bases and a lot of Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines using VA to buy houses.

And yes walk thru was a completely separate issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate