Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 04:54 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know. When one is looking to buy a place, the advice is to ignore how the current owner has decorated. Still...there are those who can't ignore such things:

This is a condo for sale. I will say the place looks clean. But...the color scheme. A shot of one of the closets shows the color scheme extends to all the clothing, too.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card
Been through many many homes with interesting and distracting decor. They're like the people who live in them. People are nothing if not interesting! I'll never forget a listing appointment my husband and I went on soon after we got our Real Estate license. We sat at the dining room table in a house where every inch of horizontal table and floor to ceiling shelf space in the entire house was taken up with porcelain figurines. Literally a million tiny frozen fragile faces staring at us.... While the owners, a husband and wife, each talked at us, concurrently, for at least two hours. They never stopped. Both talking at the same time. One talking to me, the other talking to my hubby, and we'd trade off which one we were trying to listen to, across the table.

It was probably the most overwhelming experience of my life. I sat there wondering how they'd possibly pack up all those figures when/if they ever sold it. And the couple said they wanted to be there for all showings. Would not leave the house. Can you imagine? They never stopped talking!

We didn't get the listing.

This place... seems relatively bland and relaxing compared to that

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-11-2024 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 07:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
While the owners, a husband and wife, each talked at us, concurrently, for at least two hours. They never stopped. Both talking at the same time. One talking to me, the other talking to my hubby, and we'd trade off which one we were trying to listen to, across the table.
You poor woman. You must be strong. After fifteen minutes of that I'd begin to start feeling the life force sucked out of me and after an hour, stone faced with my eyes glazed over and mentally drained.

I knew a hoarder who had porcelain figurines like that. The ENTIRE kitchen was covered - all the counters, window sills, and range top. She did not cook and ate out at restaurants every day. Batcrap crazy!

Old 04-11-2024, 08:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
It looks like an explosion in a marshmallow factory. I'd have the screaming meemies in no time at all.

To each his own......

Old 04-11-2024, 08:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm still coming to grips with a 2 bedroom condo for $ 280,000.

Washington Ex-urbs. If you are able to work remote at least several days a week and or work in the Dulles tech Corridor it isn't a bad commute (in DC terms)

Old 04-12-2024, 08:43 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Looks like they followed the "how to sell your house" rules perfectly. Everything is white.

Personally? I know how to paint so I don't care what color the previous owner picked. I'm much more interested in function and structure and electrical and plumbing and HAVC and just about everything else before color.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:45 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’d much prefer moving into a place like this than a place with bright or dark colored wals.
I agree.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:31 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know. When one is looking to buy a place, the advice is to ignore how the current owner has decorated. Still...there are those who can't ignore such things:

This is a condo for sale. I will say the place looks clean. But...the color scheme. A shot of one of the closets shows the color scheme extends to all the clothing, too.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

They have done a fabulous job of decorating. Love the style.
A little too much white for my taste though.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:32 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas
I’d much prefer moving into a place like this than a place with bright or dark colored wals.
Yeah that.
And wall color is one of the easiest things to change.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
The thing about the apartment shown is that one could differ with details - for example, I think all the window treatments are a bit overdone - but there are very few people that would run out screaming and vomiting - unlike some other houses for sale I've seen.

What you want as a seller is to be bland and ordinary, so your bland and ordinary customers can imagine themselves living there. The apartment shown meets "bland and ordinary" in spades.

Old 04-12-2024, 02:37 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm still coming to grips with a 2 bedroom condo for $ 280,000.
Winchester, VA is a good distance from DC. According to Google it's 75 miles away. Some people who work in the Northern VA 'burbs do commute out there. Also, there are some super commuters who make the grueling slog into DC.

I came across this listing due to a post in the NoVA forum. A poster who will be based out of IAD wanted properties in the price range of that condo and said he didn't mind a long commute.

Anyway, long way of saying that housing in Winchester is far cheaper than it is in the closer in 'burbs.

Even if I were in the market for a condo, I wouldn't consider that one due to it being on the first floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate