Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:43 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I was trying to find anything referencing this and I so far found this:

BUYING A HOME IN PENNSYLVANIA

Look at #3.
This is not even a contract. This is a narrative of how a typical contract usually operates. None of the legal terms are included. It doesn't give any guidance about what the parties' rights would be if heating oil was not addressed at closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM

For all of the make believe lawyers teaching us about abandonded property laws, I'll give you a hint as to where you can go to find the real laws applicable to the OP:

CHAPTER 32 TREASURER (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap032.htm#Sec3-58.htm - broken link)

You might also read this before going on further with our lessons:

CHAPTER 859 LOST AND UNCLAIMED PROPERTY (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap859.htm#Sec50-2.htm - broken link)

Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
This is not even a contract. This is a narrative of how a typical contract usually operates. None of the legal terms are included. It doesn't give any guidance about what the parties' rights would be if heating oil was not addressed at closing.

I never said it was a contract. I was just providing some info that discusses the topic on hand.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM

For those who would prefer the Cliff's Notes version of the lesson we are getting from our esteemed law professors, there is this:

Larceny: A person commits larceny when, with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to himself or a third person, he wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds such property from an owner. Larceny includes, but is not limited to: . . . .
(4) Acquiring property lost, mislaid or delivered by mistake. A person who comes into control of property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient is guilty of larceny if, with purpose to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to it." Conn. Gen. Stat. § 53a-118 (2003).

Plus:

mislaid property is defined as that which is intentionally placed by the owner where he can obtain custody of it, but afterwards forgotten.” Favorite v. Miller, 176 Conn. 310, 313, 407 A.2d 974 (1978)

So... I guess you are down to proving that the oil was conveyed.

Shall we continue with our lessons? Perhaps Utrarunner or Tamitrail would like to take over?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM

You are so garbled and babbling, I have no idea what you are even talking about anymore. I don't even know which side you are debating.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Again, this is why agents are not allowed to practice law. The quoted language is an obligation to remove. It is not a conveyance. Maybe you accidentally forgot to type the part where paragraph 7 says
First... I'm not aware of any Agents that practice law... or Brokers...

Second... I quoted verbatim... there is no part stating, "Otherwise it is deemed conveyed to the buyer."... You shouldn't assume facts not in evidence.

Third... The form is provided by CAR (California Association of Realtor) and CAR certifies to and indemnifies member Agents and Brokers using the current form as to legality and compliance for use in the State of California

I'm not a Lawyer, Agent or Broker or CAR member... I do however know CAR maintains a legal department solely to provide its members with reliable, up to date and compliant forms and provides Legal Advice to its members...

Fourth... I am a State of California Certified Consumer Dispute Arbitrator with 25 years of experience...

Fifth... You asked for and received the exact verbiage a contract of sale for a home I purchased... This is not some imaginary sale...

Sixth... With the purchase of this home I also acquired numerous items of Personal Property the seller did not remove before Escrow Closed... items including a free standing Wedgewood Stove, Upright Piano, Assorted Garden Tools, Extension Ladder, Patio Furniture and Potting Shed...

Seventh... What is so hard to understand here? "Personal property not included in the sale shall be removed by Close Of Escrow"

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-13-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
You are so garbled and babbling, I have no idea what you are even talking about anymore. I don't even know which side you are debating.
Well for your benefit then, Tamitrail, I will summarize what we have learned thus far.

Unless the contract and/or the deed did, in fact, convey the oil, then the oil remains the property of the seller. There is no finders-keepers-losers-weepers law that you all are trying to claim. In other words, it is not abandoned. Check the links I provided and you might learn something.

And if it does belong to the seller, and the buyer refuses to return it, it's called larceny.

So, the only argument that you all have left is if you can prove that the oil was, in fact, conveyed to the buyer. I'm waiting for your legal authority supporting your claim that it was.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM

[quote=Ultrarunner;4096641]
Quote:
Seventh... What is so hard to understand here? "Personal property not included in the sale shall be removed by Close Of Escrow"
Wow. I know what you think that sentence says, but I can assure you that it does not say "any property not removed by the close of escrow is included in the sale."

In fact, the sentence you are hanging your hat on does not affect ownership of any personal property. If places an obligation on the seller to remove something. It does not address what happens if if the seller doesn't remove it.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
For all of the make believe lawyers teaching us about abandonded property laws, I'll give you a hint as to where you can go to find the real laws applicable to the OP:

CHAPTER 32 TREASURER (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap032.htm#Sec3-58.htm - broken link)

You might also read this before going on further with our lessons:

CHAPTER 859 LOST AND UNCLAIMED PROPERTY (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap859.htm#Sec50-2.htm - broken link)
Not applicable to my Purchase... Purchase agreement clearly states... personal property not included must be removed by Close of Escrow...

I have a contract... words have meaning

The personal property my Sellers left was neither lost or unclaimed...

Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Well for your benefit then, Tamitrail, I will summarize what we have learned thus far.

Unless the contract and/or the deed did, in fact, convey the oil, then the oil remains the property of the seller. There is no finders-keepers-losers-weepers law that you all are trying to claim. In other words, it is not abandoned. Check the links I provided and you might learn something.

And if it does belong to the seller, and the buyer refuses to return it, it's called larceny.

So, the only argument that you all have left is if you can prove that the oil was, in fact, conveyed to the buyer. I'm waiting for your legal authority supporting your claim that it was.
The only think I've learned from you is arrogance. I never said it was abandoned. I am the one who said the oil does not convery. I'm not checking anything you provided, not interested in your blabbering anymore and probably will be putting you on ignore. You don't discuss things WITH people, you talk AT people like they are childen. So find someone who is interested in playing in your sandbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate