Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 AM

214 posts, read 1,980,892 times

Advertisements

This is so stressful! I mean can closes NOT be stressful? We got an offer on our house in a week. Signed a contract in less than 2 weeks. Our contract said closing date would be 6/12/08 if all worked out. Well it is the day before and I have not heard anything. Our realtor said that everything has been done (assessor was here last week), inspector came back to check to make sure we fixed the things he said needed fixed, etc. The walk-through was supposed to be today but I have not heard anything. I cleaned my house like a mad woman last night amongst all the boxes that are packed but I don't know why I bothered because I have not heard if they are coming for a walkthrough or if we are closing or not tomorrow. I guess the buyers' lender does not set closing time until "everything is in the folder". Our realtor said that this is just the way that is works with this lender (or this type of mortgage they are getting---not sure which she is talking about)
I am sorry to just have a rant here but I just don't understand why I can't have a few days notice on when my close will be! We have to sign our lease tomorrow afternoon for our house that we are renting for the next year and I am really nervous about signing it incase the sale on our house falls through. We have a reservation fee holding the rental house right now and we can only hold it for 30 days which I believe is until Friday. We have movers scheduled to be here Friday morning too. I just want a clear closing date. Can someone give me some insight on why they can't even give me a certain date on closing? Is this normal? I am sorry if this doesn't make sense and it is just a ramble but I am so stressed out! Can closes EVER not be stressful???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
As an agent, I'd be on the phone to the title company - but they can't really schedule the closing until they have the docs from the lender, and then they have to prepare the closing documents from those. Have you received a HUD to review (showing where all the money is going and who owes what fees, etc.)?

In the real estate agent's job of herding cats, the lender is often the one that is the biggest problem to get to have everything done when they're supposed to, for some reason.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about as far as a HUD. I feel that we have been "left in the dark" by our realtors a lot of the time but maybe that is just because my husband has been the one communicating with them and I am just sitting here complaining! My husband is too nice I think and not aggressive enough but then again, I am just here on a message board posting and not calling!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As an agent, I'd be on the phone to the title company - but they can't really schedule the closing until they have the docs from the lender, and then they have to prepare the closing documents from those. Have you received a HUD to review (showing where all the money is going and who owes what fees, etc.)?

In the real estate agent's job of herding cats, the lender is often the one that is the biggest problem to get to have everything done when they're supposed to, for some reason.
A lot of lenders have downsized staff, and are slow with the work, not taking phone calls or emails, etc.
They will drive you nuts!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 AM

The HUD is a document that spells out where all the money goes. What comes in from whom, what is taken out of the money for what (everything from the Realtor's commission to prorated taxes, that sort of thing - it varies depending on whether you're the seller or the buyer). Technically, you're supposed to get it 3 days before closing to review it, but I've seen that happen twice. Sometimes, closing has been pushed from the morning to the afternoon because the lender didn't get the docs to the title company until the morning the closing was scheduled.

Usually by the day before you DO have a closing time scheduled, but it might be pushed back for reasons like this.

In Texas, if the closing goes past the date specified in the contract, we have to get an amendment extending it signed by all parties. I don't know where you are, or what the laws are in your state, however.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 AM

We are in Georgia

Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 AM

Okay, I'm clueless about Georgia real estate law. Perhaps an agent from Georgia can speak to this issue for you.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM

ok, thanks. I'll wait for a GA agent!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
Good morning,

I think you need to contact your agent yourself instead of through your husband. Relay to your agent you are stressed out, have contract pending on a rental, aren't sure you should move and that you need to get answers today. It's your agent's job to help put you at ease. In my state, the date you close, is the date you close. If one party does not perform, the deal is off. Underwriting takes time to do and closings should be set at a date and time that allows for everything to be put together. Your agent should really know by today whether you're going to close tomorrow or not. Please call your agent. If you don't understand something they're talking about, stop him or her and ask them to explain it to you more specifically.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you!
S

Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Good news... got the HUD Settlement Statement now and we are closing tomorrow! I do have a call into my realtor though (yes me, not husband!) because the property address is listed as Florilla Circle rather than Florilla Trail.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate