Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,656 times

Advertisements

We're just about to put our house on the market and we are thinking of using My Dog Tess to list it. They charge 1% of the sales price vs. the typical 3% of other brokers. I'm also thinking of interviewing other brokers who are more full service. MDT is not exactly a discount broker in that they do have listings with photos and a webpage for their homes but they don't do print advertising or other services.

One of the brokers I'm going to interview talked about having a staging person come in, etc. She seemed on top of it and seems to take a pretty active stance WRT to sales. I wonder, though, if the extra 2% is worth it. We're not talking much - maybe $3 - 3.5k difference out of our pockets, but given the already thin margins we're looking at with our house, I don't know if that'll be too much to make it doable. We're not looking at getting a profit from the house, but we'd at least like to make what we paid for it. Luckily we've got a ton of equity in the house, but we'd like to keep as much of it as we can.

So, do you think that having a more full-service agent is worth the extra 2%? (Or more if there's a staging charge.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
How come you are thinking 2% more on top of the 1%? Full service realtors charge 6% and get to keep the 6% if the find the buyer as well, if a buyers agent brings the client to you than that agent will get the 3%. So you will at least pay 6% of the sales prices and other costs at closing.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
How come you are thinking 2% more on top of the 1%? Full service realtors charge 6% and get to keep the 6% if the find the buyer as well, if a buyers agent brings the client to you than that agent will get the 3%. So you will at least pay 6% of the sales prices and other costs at closing.
Sorry, I didn't clarify the %ages. The 1% with MDT is the seller's commission. There's an additional 3% for the buyer's agent for a total of 4%. The other broker will charge 3% seller's commission + 3% buyer's agent. So it's a net difference of 2% between the two seller's agents.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Really only you can make that decision. You need to pick a good agent regardless of the model they use.

You sound like you need to do some more interviewing before you make a decision.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Really only you can make that decision. You need to pick a good agent regardless of the model they use.

You sound like you need to do some more interviewing before you make a decision.
Absolutely. We're just getting ready to list, not quite there yet.

What are typical charges for staging? You'd think, in this market, realtors would want to do anything they could to get houses moving.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
One thing you might want to check into is how much representation you'll have with MDT when it comes time to negotiate the price and repairs, inspecitions, etc. Does the 1% include being on the MLS and realtor.com? Does that price also include keeping you updated with new listings of comps that will affect your asking price? Does MDT provide expertise when it comes to pricing your home at the outset? Pricing is critical right now. If you price too high, you're not going to get many (if any) showings. OTH, I've seen a few discounters recommend a list price that is ridiculously low. So, whoever you interview I would definitely want to know their pricing strategy and how they came up with their recommendation.

I personally don't think the print advertising is all that crucial, however great quality flyers in a sign box are important. Also, probably the #1 marketing advantage (besides having your home show well to begin with) is the Internet presentation on the MLS and Realtor.com. Right now, I think high quality virtual tours are practically a requirement to generate any kind of interest in slow markets.

Just be careful to look beyond what would appear to be a 2% savings. A good agent could save you that much and more if they're a good negotiator when it comes time to accept an offer. Also, there can be "glitches" during the escrow period with inspections, appraisals, financing, etc. An agent that keeps the ball moving and is watching out for you can be invaluable. Also, a 2% savings isn't a savings if your house fails to sell because of poor marketing. Just lots of things to consider.

However, just going with "full service" doesn't necessarily guarantee success, either. There are fantastic agents out there, but there are also some mediocre and subpar agents, too. If you do decide to go with "full service" make sure you hire someone that's worth that extra commission and can make you more money in the end.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
OK I'm just curious. There is a real estate company that is called My Dog Tess?

How professional sounding. I wonder why they didn't call it My Old Dog Blue or My What a Nice Cat.

I wish them all the success in the world!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
Since I have a dog named Tess, was wondering about a real estate company called "My Dog Tess"....sounds fishy but then again, maybe not.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM

110 posts, read 502,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
OK I'm just curious. There is a real estate company that is called My Dog Tess?

How professional sounding. I wonder why they didn't call it My Old Dog Blue or My What a Nice Cat.

I wish them all the success in the world!
Reminds me of a employment website I saw 10 years ago called Monster.com

Who associates "Monsters" with "jobs"!!! I bet they've flopped by now.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
reminds Me Of A Employment Website I Saw 10 Years Ago Called Monster.com

Who Associates "monsters" With "jobs"!!! I Bet They've Flopped By Now.
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate