Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
i sold my first house after months on the market. i was taking a bath and the realator called and asked to show it in 15 min...
we sold it that night... you never know...
Super! You found a way to make the showing happen.
Some Sellers think Buyers MUST work at their convenience, and would have declined that showing.
Get them in the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,162 times
I still take many baths waiting for that phone to ring... lol. still using the same agent 10 yrs later.
she has done so much for us as far as advertising....
i want to have a tagsale soon, mabey that will bring some lookers... it would be a good idea to mabey have an open house on that day....

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Home in FL
My husband showed our home to a pb. we were doing a garage sale when she dropped by. He showed her around while I manned the Garage sale. She came back with her realtor and asked my hubby to show them around again since the realtor hadn't seen it. We had an offer within a few days and sold to her.
Home in CA
I was home with grandson and cleaning lady. My realtor called and said someone wanted to see the house now. I told her about grandson and cleaning lady she said at least they will know you keep a clean house. pb's mom came with her grand kids and daughter. Her mom and I sat in the back yard just talking about the neighborhood , kids and her daughter wanting to buy the house. Daughter cameback again alone a few days later with realtor and we stayed home. She wanted to make sure we were going to leave the window treatments. I said yes and she asked a few more questions. I also found out she sold carpets. She bought the house and I bought carpets from her a few years later.
Home 2 in CA
Hubby wanted an open house and our realtor was busy as was her partner. Hubby said he would hold it him self and she gave him the signs. PB came and compared it to the same home down the street that they were going to buy. We had Taupe wall to wall carpet and the other home had blue. They bought our home and she and I became good friends. They even bought furniture from me since I sold furniture at the time.
Hubby and I always stayed in the house when our homes were being sold. Out of sight if we could. The only problem was our realtor in our last place wanted us to say nothing. We would take the dogs around the house in the dog area and hear all the misinformation being told to the pb. ie Is this a pool run by gas? Oh yes. NOT it was electric. I could go on but I have written enough.

My stories are very similar to these.

(Sold) When we sold our beach home. My husband went on the beach with our dogs during the showing and the potential buyers were in the home for a long time. It was hot outside so my husband opened the slider and said he needs to bring the dogs back inside. The potential buyers fully understood and had some questions for my husband that the realtor couldn't answer anyways. Their next visit was the inspection and they requested that my husband be there for more answers if needed. (They bought our home).

(Bought) We bought our home with the seller home during the inspection and viewing (done on the same day) (out of state). I had several questions for the seller that I knew the realtor would not of known. The seller and I exchanged numbers and I would call him and ask him questions (even after we moved in). He even came over for a drink with us after we moved in.

Both these properties needed the seller to be there for all the detail that both the homes had. So all situations are different.

We are selling now. We will leave the home for a showing but one showing the buyers agent actually said to my agent that it was OKAY for us to be there. My husband stayed and I left. The potential buyer had several questions for my husband. (large property with many details).

So I understand everyones personal opinion on this. But if I find a home that I love with the view that I want in our price range, I'm buying it!!!!! (With or without the buyer home).

Last edited by Roma; 07-08-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM

306 posts, read 1,247,818 times
Post my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
... if I find a home that I love with the view that I want in our price range, I'm buying it!!!!! (With or without the seller home).
Perfectly stated - as that is so true for me too ... if I find a home that I love with everything I want in our price range, I'm buying it -With or without the seller home. I will likely come back and see it two more times, and I will drive by at night a few more times as well. Just to make sure there are no weirdo’s lurking about.

Personally as a buyer and a Realtor I happen to like it when a seller is home, but I prefer they stay out of "ear" shot, more than out of eyesight. I don't want them in the next room where I might hurt their feelings if I say I hate something. Nor, do I want them following about commenting on everything as we are looking. It's distracting. My favorite viewings of an home are when a one seller stays home (but not the whole family) and goes outside on a patio or porch with a newspaper or magazine. I like them there so I can inquire about the neighborhood, the utilities and whatever else pops into mind.

As a seller I prefer to be actually moved out of my home and just leave a few items behind for minimal staging. I'm not a fan of the extreme staged home.
I'm a private person and just don't like people in my home poking around in everything while my stuff is there. While it's not always an option to be moved out, it's my ideal when I'm the seller. With kids and a couple of dogs, it's hard to keep my home in 'perfect showing condition' and sadly, there are a lot of buyers that are distracted by the smallest things. Too bad for them.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 PM

272 posts, read 640,065 times
It happened here in Tx, but the couple selling was in their 80's so it may have been hard for them to go anywhere on short notice. However, the old man ( god bless him) took control of the "tour" and started explaining how he had done this and that. I felt bad because instantly after we saw the kitchen we knew It wasn't the house for us, but we didn't want to be rude so we let him talk.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 AM

475 posts, read 571,061 times
I guess I just won't be selling my house ever, because I don't even allow family in my home without me there. Too many thousands of dollars of electronics, firearms, etc., and I'm terribly paranoid about every bit of it.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,765 times
Aran - that's why they have temp/humidity controlled storage.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM

475 posts, read 571,061 times
So I should have to pay for storage for my items, move them (Which would be no small undertaking), and be without their use just to make others feel comfortable?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I guess I just won't be selling my house ever, because I don't even allow family in my home without me there. Too many thousands of dollars of electronics, firearms, etc., and I'm terribly paranoid about every bit of it.
Quote:
So I should have to pay for storage for my items, move them (Which would be no small undertaking), and be without their use just to make others feel comfortable?
You already said you may never sell.
So, the advice did not apply.

If your desires would change, you may entertain the possibility that many buyers need to feel comfortable with a property to proceed.

And, frankly, I would recommend removing all valuables from a home for sale, including guns and jewelry. Who knows which "buyer" may be tempted to visit later to "shop."

Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
In the context of selling a house that is the same thing as saying:

"So I should have to remove the clutter just to give a good imression to buyers"

"So I should have to paint the walls just to give a good impression to buyers"

"So I should have to keep the lawn tidy just to give a good impression to buyers?

You don't have to do anything. But is you are trying to sell your house you can either do the things that help to sell it or do things that hurt to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate