Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In 11 years and hundreds of buyers, I've never had a buyer buy a home where the seller was at home.

It's usually uncomfortable & the buyer does not linger long enough to really see the house.
Gosh it is a NJ thing because having lived in NJ for many years, it happens quite often.
Our daughter did buy a home from someone who followed her around something crazy........Stood in the front yard when we were talking figures, offers......goods and bads. Came into the back when we were there.........into all the rooms. They were the worst. Not ony being there but on top of us.........
But, even I have bought in NJ with the people sitting in the living room.
Both of my NJ homes...........LOL
So eleven years, hundreds of homes.........no one there! Thats amazing to me.
I even had to stay in my Pa home once....after being out for two hours. Then they showed up. So forget it, we stayed.........
Ya' know life goes on........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 08:38 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Perhaps I'm just really really weird... but as I just posted on another thread, we bought our house last March, and the sellers were here when we first saw it. They totally stayed out of our way and didn't bother me a bit.

The sellers were elderly, hubby had Alzheimer's and didn't really know why we were there. Wife had just gone through chemo... she wasn't bed ridden or anything but she of course had to take her hubby with her and it kinda made sense that they were present while we looked.

Didn't bother me in the slightest. I looked at a few houses where this was the case. The only time it bothered me was when the wife was pizzy and obviously did not want to sell and was sitting on the front porch just giving out vile "vibes", and her husband tried to make up for this by following us around telling us about every little thing. Those people irritated me... but I still would have bought the house had they been willing to negotiate (they were asking way too much for the neighborhood and wouldn't budge)...
they eventually had to drop their price anyway but by then we'd bought a few blocks over.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Selling or buying a home is not suppose to be personal. Some of you think it's a good idea, you could be missing a sell. If there is information you need to share, give it to the realtor. I wouldn't buy a home from anyone who didn't give me the courtesy of viewing the home the way it should be viewed. Any realtor will tell you how it is done. As far as staying w/ dogs, if a home is being shown, take the dogs someplace else, you want the home not to have the dogs around so people can roam around the home completely, garage and all. In this market, you want to sell the homes as fast as you can. It doesn't seem to make a difference to you but it makes a huge difference to many of us who can pick any home we want on any street.

We have so many homes within our block, one next door, we keep our yard as beautiful as we can for their sake so it will sell, we keep our dogs as quiet as we can and we do all we can so our neighbors can sell their home, you need to do all you can to seel you own home, lingering in your home when is potential buyer is there is a big no no. You should never know who your potential buyer is. Negotiating could get ugly if the inspection isn't good. One party could end up walking away. Please be professional about it, this is a lot of money you are dealing with and your future investments.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Talking I was there when my last buyers came though

and it worked out quite well - THANK YOU very much !

I think it really depends on all the parties involved though . Some sellers might not know how to act or possibly say inappropriate things . Some may not stay out of the way or maybe they may act very 'desperate' ! Of course I would prefer that they stay out of the way and are not within earshot, just in case I say something that might offend them .

A realtor wants everything perfect, so of course they'd prefer Sellers to be gone and have the Model Home concept. If I'm a Buyer and I love the house and neighborhood, the ONLY reason I wouldn't make an offer, if the Seller was present during the showing, would be IF they do something that was against my sensibilities . Otherwise, if I like the home and the price, having a seller there makes no difference to me .

Last edited by HDL; 06-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Because I can:-0

Old 06-28-2008, 09:19 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Courtesy is a two way street, you know. If you want us to have the "courtesy" to leave you alone in our homes to look around, the please extend to us some "courtesy" as well. After all, most of us still have to live in our homes, and that is almost impossible when you want it to look like a model home!

1. Have the courtesy to make an appointment if you want the place to sparkle and want us out. Remember, all you have to do is drive up. WE, on the other hand, have to clean kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms, pick up things dropped by the kids/husbands. Put out clean towels, freshen up the rooms that a half hour ago were the scenes of people getting ready for work.

2. Have the courtesy to try and show up on time. And if you are going to be late, then for pity sakes....CALL!! If your buyer's agent is rude enough to not think it important to call, please remind them to do so. Remember the golden rule.........

3. Have the courtesy to not be a "no show". Yes, it is tiring looking at houses all day, but do you think it's easier to keep a house in constant state of readiness for showing??? It's not like Tinkerbell comes in an waves her magic wand around and POOF the place is clean. When someone spends an hour or more getting it ready for you, at least make the effort to keep the appointment. And if that is totally impossible....well, see #2 above!

4. Have the courtesy to please find a babysitter for your children. It is impossible for children, especially young ones, to behave for long periods of time without getting totally bored. Therefore it is totally impossible for you to concentrate on the great aspects of my house if you have to constantly listen to their whining and fussing. And worse yet, please don't let them run around unsupervised! Your buyer's agent is only one person and he/she shouldn't be expected to tell you all about the house while trying to keep an eye on your kids! My house is NOT baby-proofed (any more, anyway) either from my personal things, or from dangerous things to small children.

5. If you must come at the last minute, please understand that we will clean up as best as possible and leave as quickly as possible, but if you are standing at my front door when I am not through cleaning, you have to realize that things may not be perfect and I may not be able to leave immediately (did you block my car in the driveway??? Is it raining out so that I can't take a walk if you did block me in???) I will try my best, but I am only human.

I found a few remarks here and there in this thread to be a bit "snarky", and I just wanted to reiterate the seller's point of view. Most of us will try, but may fail once in awhile.....and it may be with your showing.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Thumbs up Great post Rothbear!!!

Now if the Buyers would just listen up !!!! And their Realtors too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Courtesy is a two way street, you know. If you want us to have the "courtesy" to leave you alone in our homes to look around, the please extend to us some "courtesy" as well. After all, most of us still have to live in our homes, and that is almost impossible when you want it to look like a model home!

1. Have the courtesy to make an appointment if you want the place to sparkle and want us out. Remember, all you have to do is drive up. WE, on the other hand, have to clean kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms, pick up things dropped by the kids/husbands. Put out clean towels, freshen up the rooms that a half hour ago were the scenes of people getting ready for work.

2. Have the courtesy to try and show up on time. And if you are going to be late, then for pity sakes....CALL!! If your buyer's agent is rude enough to not think it important to call, please remind them to do so. Remember the golden rule.........

3. Have the courtesy to not be a "no show". Yes, it is tiring looking at houses all day, but do you think it's easier to keep a house in constant state of readiness for showing??? It's not like Tinkerbell comes in an waves her magic wand around and POOF the place is clean. When someone spends an hour or more getting it ready for you, at least make the effort to keep the appointment. And if that is totally impossible....well, see #2 above!

4. Have the courtesy to please find a babysitter for your children. It is impossible for children, especially young ones, to behave for long periods of time without getting totally bored. Therefore it is totally impossible for you to concentrate on the great aspects of my house if you have to constantly listen to their whining and fussing. And worse yet, please don't let them run around unsupervised! Your buyer's agent is only one person and he/she shouldn't be expected to tell you all about the house while trying to keep an eye on your kids! My house is NOT baby-proofed (any more, anyway) either from my personal things, or from dangerous things to small children.

5. If you must come at the last minute, please understand that we will clean up as best as possible and leave as quickly as possible, but if you are standing at my front door when I am not through cleaning, you have to realize that things may not be perfect and I may not be able to leave immediately (did you block my car in the driveway??? Is it raining out so that I can't take a walk if you did block me in???) I will try my best, but I am only human.

I found a few remarks here and there in this thread to be a bit "snarky", and I just wanted to reiterate the seller's point of view. Most of us will try, but may fail once in awhile.....and it may be with your showing.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times
Buyers are the ones spending the money, sellers are the ones who can take the risk. You don't have to do anything you don't wish to. You're the one selling the home. The buyer is the one with the money which means in this market the determining factor if the sale goes through. If you read the posts, the buyers are complaining about sellers who won't leave the home. You don't have to do anything you don't wish and you also don't need to sell the home. Up to you!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
boy, talk about snarky

Old 06-29-2008, 04:56 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
I'm tired of packing everything and everyone up but I will leave when someone wants to come take a look. But only the first time. Not the 4th or 5th. Yes I am feeling bitter. and taken advantage of.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I kind of think it can work both ways.
I enjoyed being home a few times to meet the potential buyers. Not in the way........but there.
I knew in two separate homes which couple would put in an offer for our home, by being there.
At our NJ home, one couple who wanted a pool walked directly to it.........rather then head in the house. We also got to talk to them on how the Vermont Casting stove worked.........but, we didn't hang in the rooms with them, and we were just off and about. The house sold to them....we negotiated and I knew they wanted our home.
On another home........I was there to see that buyer Oh and Ah things........tapping her hands to her chest. Then again, I knew she would put in an offer, and stick to it.
That happened also.
I know realtors are afraid one wrong word and the sale will be over...........
but most people have common sense anymore to watch their words.
I personally don't mind if someone is home...........off and about someplace, not right on top of me
I don't mind asking them a question or two........maybe about the lake, the rules, the land boundries ( you know the realtor does not really know those answers)
So I am fine both ways.
I certainly understand too if I have interupted someones lunch or dinner........and don't expect it to be all cleaned up either. Life goes on.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate