Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM

24 posts, read 77,328 times

Advertisements

I am about to make an offer on a new house
I am being told that in Georgia, buyers do not use attorney's when buying homes and I should not take one to the closing. Instead, the only attorney present would be the "Closing attorney" that is representing the mortgage company. That just does not sound right
What if I miss something? I feel I should have an attorney present

Also, I am wondering, at what stage should I get the attorney involved?

Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
more and more that is the norm. its getting to be like jakarta when you do any significant transaction you better bring muscle.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
You def. need an attorney involved on your behalf for this real estate transaction. It may save you lots of headaches in the future. This is probably the biggest investment you have made thus far in your life. You want to make sure you are legally represented.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Do you have an agent? If so, they should be able to answer this question.

I have no idea about Georgia, but in Texas, real estate attorneys are only used, in residential, if a situation is unusual or if the buyer really feels the need for one. Most residential transactions are handled using the forms promulgated by the Texas Real Estate Commission, written by their attorneys and filled out by the respective parties. The title company has a closer who handles the paperwork there. The lender doesn't have an attorney at the closing; it's usually the title company's closer, the parties to the contract, and their agent, and in many cases, it will be one party and their agent at one time and the other party and their agent at another time, depending on the convenience of the parties involved.

But, again, this is Texas, and I would hesitate to advise you on what is the norm in Georgia.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
I guess it depends on what part of the country you are in. I'm in California, and attorneys are never used here, at least that I have ever heard of, and I have purchased numerous homes over the years.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Do you have an agent? If so, they should be able to answer this question.

I have no idea about Georgia, but in Texas, real estate attorneys are only used, in residential, if a situation is unusual or if the buyer really feels the need for one. Most residential transactions are handled using the forms promulgated by the Texas Real Estate Commission, written by their attorneys and filled out by the respective parties. The title company has a closer who handles the paperwork there. The lender doesn't have an attorney at the closing; it's usually the title company's closer, the parties to the contract, and their agent, and in many cases, it will be one party and their agent at one time and the other party and their agent at another time, depending on the convenience of the parties involved.

But, again, this is Texas, and I would hesitate to advise you on what is the norm in Georgia.
The agent is telling me that he was told by the seller that such is the case. I have learned not to trust anything he says-unfortunately

Old 06-24-2008, 06:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Wait, do I understand correctly that your real estate agent is taking the seller's word for how real estate is practiced in Georgia? That's not how it's supposed to work, at least, not in any state that I'm familiar with.

The agent is supposed to represent your interests, and taking the seller's word that you do not need an attorney (whether you do or not) is not doing that.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
There is no attorney review in GA. That's not to say you don't need one. I would think your agent would KNOW what the procedure is.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
If your not trusting of your agent, have you tried tali kg to their broker / supervisor ? Maybe they could get you a more experienced honest agent?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 PM

I though about doing that, but unfortunately he is family and it could get blown out of proportition. I had a candid conversation with him today, explaining that I am concerned about his lack of knowledge. i understand the lack of experience, ( I told him), but that can be rectified by acknowledging one's weaknesses and check with his broker for guidance. He was not pleased, after-all, he is the one with the real estates license. I told him I am considering using another agent and I explained why. The conversation did not end well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate