U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,124 posts, read 25,867,460 times
Reputation: 11229

Advertisements

Kids bought a house....offer accepted almost 1 month ago
Closing was to be Friday 06/27
DIL sends me frantic email;


They want to push the closing till Monday! The sellers aren't ready to move out and need this weekend to do it. I've been pleading with my attorney to work something out because Sean can't take off on Monday and I have to be out of my apartment on Monday.

What should she do..what's her recourse at this point
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 26,619,785 times
Reputation: 3587
My seller will charge me a $100 per diem fee if closing is delayed beyond the agreed date. That should be enough to pay for a motel room and storage if you can get them to agree to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,124 posts, read 25,867,460 times
Reputation: 11229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
My seller will charge me a $100 per diem fee if closing is delayed beyond the agreed date. That should be enough to pay for a motel room and storage if you can get them to agree to it.

thanks..good to know
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
36,354 posts, read 40,153,016 times
Reputation: 43682
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Kids bought a house....offer accepted almost 1 month ago
Closing was to be Friday 06/27
DIL sends me frantic email;


They want to push the closing till Monday! The sellers aren't ready to move out and need this weekend to do it. I've been pleading with my attorney to work something out because Sean can't take off on Monday and I have to be out of my apartment on Monday.

What should she do..what's her recourse at this point
It sounds like the moneys not as important as the need to move. I would push back that you must close & be in the house Friday.

They've had time to make arrangements
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,790 posts, read 39,696,857 times
Reputation: 24223
In Texas, they'd need an amendment to change the closing date or they'd be out of contract. Those aren't usually done two days before closing unless there's a problem with the lender.

Rakin's right. The sellers have had plenty of time to move.

And your daughter shouldn't be "pleading" with her attorney. It's her attorney's (or agent's, depending on the state) job to represent her interests - she should be informing her attorney that they need, and planned on, the weekend to move themselves and the sellers need to be out by the agreed-upon date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,124 posts, read 25,867,460 times
Reputation: 11229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It sounds like the moneys not as important as the need to move. I would push back that you must close & be in the house Friday.

They've had time to make arrangements
thank you as well..that is what i told her too but wanted to see if there were other options
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,124 posts, read 25,867,460 times
Reputation: 11229
Well that attorney is lucky i'm not the client..she said there really isn't much I can do as they plan on moving out over the weekend..and for this she paid $1000.00

I told her to get hold of her realtor asap..he may exert the needed pressure
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
 
9,647 posts, read 27,854,728 times
Reputation: 9932
What is in the contract?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
14,559 posts, read 35,016,055 times
Reputation: 14087
I would offer to lease the garage to them for a couple of days. Meaning they close on Friday, your folks start moving in, but they have store their stuff in the garage for a couple of days if needed.

Otherwise I would suggest that your kids get a POD, and move the POD to the house and store it there, then charge the sellers for the cost of the POD, and the Really Really nice hotel that they will have to stay at plus money for food.

I personally would not change the closing date. Sometimes people need a serious push. I stayed up until 2:00am the night before we moved to get it done. That is what Starbucks is for. It's always amazing how motivated people can get when money is involved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
 
28,461 posts, read 75,193,176 times
Reputation: 18520
The sellers are the ones with the PROBLEM, they should spend time trying to solve it. If they had sort of unexpected emergancy AND they came with a nice detailed plan of what they were going to do to compensate for the problem it would be one thing...

Your kids (the buyers) have to protect themselves. If the seller is just a disorganized mess who is to say the place NEVER really gets fully moved.

There are some good suggestions with rent back garage (I've done that) and the POD thing (too new for me to have needed, but idea is sound).

KEY is that seller has to have all their stuff cordoned off so that the house is empty enough to verify there is no move-out damage. You also do not want the sellers to have access to your kids' stuff for the potential of theft /damage.

If the seller had half a brain they would have already suggested something like this. Frankly I'm surprised the attorney(s) or agents did not suggest something like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top