Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM

275 posts, read 1,761,255 times

Advertisements

I've had this same tactic used with me when selling cars and other items. Typically, if you tell them a lower figure than your current asking price, that figure becomes your new asking price and any offer submitted will be lower than the new figure you just gave them.

The problem here is if you are honest and tell them the lowest price you will accept, they usually do not believe it is the lowest price you will accept. Plus, you immediately show them how willing you are to drop the price before any real negotiations take place or offers have been submitted. In my opinion this is a bad way to start the negotiating process for the seller and weakens your negotiating position immediately.

As mentioned by some, the best thing is to let your agent do the negotiating if you have one. In my opinion, one of the reasons you use an agent to sell your house is to handle the negotiations so you don't have to deal with things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I've had this same tactic used with me when selling cars and other items. Typically, if you tell them a lower figure than your current asking price, that figure becomes your new asking price and any offer submitted will be lower than the new figure you just gave them.

The problem here is if you are honest and tell them the lowest price you will accept, they usually do not believe it is the lowest price you will accept. Plus, you immediately show them how willing you are to drop the price before any real negotiations take place or offers have been submitted. In my opinion this is a bad way to start the negotiating process for the seller and weakens your negotiating position immediately.

As mentioned by some, the best thing is to let your agent do the negotiating if you have one. In my opinion, one of the reasons you use an agent to sell your house is to handle the negotiations so you don't have to deal with things like this.
Thanks everyone. Well, we decided to tell them a price and thats it...no negotiation. We are not desperate to sell so no need to go further. I agree, it is a way of restarting the negotiation at a lower price.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Good Luck! hope it will work for you.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
When asked this question as a listing agent, usually phrased as "do you know what price the seller will accept?", my answer is always, "I KNOW the seller will accept [list price]." Other than that, the buyer just has to make an offer.

You've already answered their question of what you'll accept by setting a list price. Whether you'll accept less, under the right conditions, is up to them to determine by presenting that price and terms.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:16 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
There are other factors in an offer like closing dates, credit, type of loan ect that make up an offer.

That's why I'd want something in writing so you can evaluate the entire package.

It's not entirely about the price that makes a buyers offer strong or weak.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Thanks everyone. Well, we decided to tell them a price and thats it...no negotiation. We are not desperate to sell so no need to go further. I agree, it is a way of restarting the negotiation at a lower price.
Good for you! Let us know how it works out for ya. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. Enough of the games. Put it out there...they either take it or they don't. And then you either close it or move on.
I see nothing wrong with a seller approaching a buyer and starting the negotiations at all. Some see it as a game and one upmanship, others see it a a business deal...here it is, either take it, or leave it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
One thing I've learned is not to always through out your best offer right up front. Save a little wiggle room in case they counter offer even if it's $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate