Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM

124 posts, read 468,609 times

Advertisements

It's got a lot of good qualities, but things are just so slow here right now. We're within commuting distance of DC, but with the price of gas these days its a hard sell.

We're getting next to no action at all. Our agent seems to think we're priced right and just need to wait it out a little more, but its awful frustrating.

We've been very lucky with my husband's new job. They do a lot of traveling in his department and he's worked in several business trips to the general area so that he could spend a few days at home, and he's been able to take some personal time as well so it hasn't been as bad as it could have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
It's got a lot of good qualities, but things are just so slow here right now. We're within commuting distance of DC, but with the price of gas these days its a hard sell.

We're getting next to no action at all. Our agent seems to think we're priced right and just need to wait it out a little more, but its awful frustrating.

We've been very lucky with my husband's new job. They do a lot of traveling in his department and he's worked in several business trips to the general area so that he could spend a few days at home, and he's been able to take some personal time as well so it hasn't been as bad as it could have been.
Glad you have some support from your husband. Maybe your agent needs to explore new advertising venues, so your home gets better exposure to the market. Good luck, and keep us all posted on how things are going. Have you already bought a house in SD? From other posts I've read, sounds like a good time to buy in San Diego, so maybe you can lower your price in MD and still not come out any worse for the wear. T.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,249,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post

The biggest regret we have in all this selling craziness is that we did not drop our price right away...it would have sold...so if you can that is my best advice. Also, have you listed your home yourself on Zillow and Craigslist. I actually did get some response from those sites and need to update them as I think of it..

Anywhere you can get your home 'out there' is a good strategy. I wish I had better answers..

You are originally from Riverside County?? We lived in Claremont, out there by Pomona and Upland. I miss my home there so much...we had a pool, trees, lots of trees, that was the biggest dumbest mistake we ever made was selling that place in 2003. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time, in retrospect, stinky decision. Then we moved out to Beaumont, brand new home, stayed a year, too much wind, dirt and boring..moved to NorCal, which is where we are going to return. Trees, grass, green....we have so many lifetime friends in Southern Ca, our oldest son lives in Rancho Cucamonga, my parents are in Desert Hot Springs, but I don't think we can handle all that traffic again. But then, never say never. If we did go back down south, I would definitely consider Temecula or south...I would love to go to San Diego, but we are probably priced out of there even now.

Anyway, I am a California girl longing to go home, too...

Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,582,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
property taxes and isurance might be a surprise!!
f you're talking about upstate, it is no surprise after NJ. We have owned the house for 2 years, 3 acres and it is less than we paid on a townhouse, with no property, in NJ.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:47 AM

31 posts, read 102,405 times
I moved from California to Arizona, to start a new widow's life.
After 50 years of marriage I can do what I want.
I built a 4000sq ft house, because I can, and paid cash.
Can travel when and where I want and do things without any hassles.
I do at times miss my husband, however I am alive and as my children say
"Enjoy Life Mom".

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM

124 posts, read 468,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
You are originally from Riverside County?? We lived in Claremont, out there by Pomona and Upland. I miss my home there so much...we had a pool, trees, lots of trees, that was the biggest dumbest mistake we ever made was selling that place in 2003. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time, in retrospect, stinky decision. Then we moved out to Beaumont, brand new home, stayed a year, too much wind, dirt and boring..moved to NorCal, which is where we are going to return. Trees, grass, green....we have so many lifetime friends in Southern Ca, our oldest son lives in Rancho Cucamonga, my parents are in Desert Hot Springs, but I don't think we can handle all that traffic again. But then, never say never. If we did go back down south, I would definitely consider Temecula or south...I would love to go to San Diego, but we are probably priced out of there even now.

Anyway, I am a California girl longing to go home, too...
I was born an raised in the L.A. area, but spent a lot of time in Riverside co. I lived near Temecula for a few years, up in the mountains though. Beautiful country up there (Anza/Aguanga). I also lived in Lake Elsinore for a short time to while my ex was stationed at Camp Pendleton, which was also the only time I lived in San Diego-- Fallbrook to be exact for a few months.

I love that whole area, but sage brush country is something I really like. I'm a desert kinda gal, I guess. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

I actually considered the possibility of living in Temecula, but the job the husband got is in La Jolla and that's just too much of a commute. I'm sure I wouldn't be all that happy any how, I remember when all those homes off of 79 to the east of the 15 were all ranches and sage brush covered hills. It's actually a little depressing to see how developed it all is these days.

Anyhow, to answer other questions: We have not bought another home yet, we can't carry two mortgages. And we're very pleased about the drop in prices in SD. The community we're looking almost exclusively at has dropped from a median price of about $450k to $379k since November or so.

I just spent the morning figuring out what our bottom line is so we can know just how significant a price drop we can make without ending up in the hole, and how much of a price drop we can make and still come out of it with something left over to give us a down payment, or at least something close to a down payment we can put away for a bit until prices drop further or we save up enough to buy again.

We're on zillow already as well as trulia, the agent set that up. And I requested that they also put us on Craigslist last week, but as far as I can see they haven't done that yet, time to light a fire under them on that one. We have flyers on our sign, we're listed in all the local papers (though she admits little ever comes out print ads these days), we've got a sign out on the main road and at the corner pointing people toward the house who might just be driving around.

Aside from Craigslist and an eye catching price drop, there's nothing else left to do that I can think of-- well an open house, but supposedly they don't do much, however I'm willing to give it a shot.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiy View Post
I moved from California to Arizona, to start a new widow's life.
After 50 years of marriage I can do what I want.
I built a 4000sq ft house, because I can, and paid cash.
Can travel when and where I want and do things without any hassles.
I do at times miss my husband, however I am alive and as my children say
"Enjoy Life Mom".
Good for you Matiy. Your kids are right, enjoy! T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate