Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 PM

86 posts, read 190,222 times

Advertisements

We found a neighborhood that we LOVE. We had our hearts set on building but we let the agent talk us out of it. We signed the papers and gave our earnest money but something was just not sitting right with me. I hated the fact that the agent was so pushy. We would close on the house in September even though we weren't ready to move until January. When we said we wanted to build on the lot behind us he said it was sold even though there was/is no sign. (Building on that lot would be cheaper as the spec home has upgrades that make it more expensive) He told us we would have to pay a premium for building of at least 5000 dollars. He told us they wouldn't pay our closing costs if we didn't buy the spec home. When i told him i wouldn't be ready to move until January he told me i liked paying rent and the development would be finished by that time. Any reason we could come up with for wanting to build he came up with a reason why we were making a mistake. Anyway the final straw was when he told my husband he would have the papers he signed ready at 3. I went to pick them up across town and he had not spoken with the agent that was on duty today. She didn't know i was coming and couldn't help me. I was furious. I drove home and told my husband to call him and tell him we changed our minds and we wanted our money back. So i'm sitting here thinking if i made a mistake or did i do the right thing. Something about this guy really rubs me the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
What state was this in? If I were you, I'd post this question in the forum for real estate professionals or in the forum for the area where the property is located. I suspect that you may be able to back out of the purchase, but you probably will not be able to get the earnest money back. That's just a guess, though. The realtors and real estate lawyers who work in your state will know for sure.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,508 times
Listen to your gut...but you will may lose your earnest money. Don't ever let anyone push you into making such an important decision as buying a house. If your buyers agent was pushy then, change agents!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalemnicka22 View Post

... but we let the agent talk us out of it.
... but something was just not sitting right with me.
You know your own answer.
You are the only ones who know when you feel right about something -- and when you don't. Your happiness in life depends on listening to yourself and doing what yourself tells you feels right.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post

Listen to your gut...

you may lose your earnest money.

Don't ever let anyone push you into making any decision
GREAT ADVICE! And if you DO lose your earnest money, THAT'S OKAY!! You can always make more money and go about the home thing again later, and a whole lot smarter, using a real estate attorney, and replacing any agent who makes you doubt yourself.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I get the impression that the agent you're talking about wasn't your own buyer's agnet, but an agent representing the builder. Is that the case? If so, next time, get someone to represent YOUR interests (either a real estate agent or a real estate attorney, depending on how things are done in your state).

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM

86 posts, read 190,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I get the impression that the agent you're talking about wasn't your own buyer's agnet, but an agent representing the builder. Is that the case? If so, next time, get someone to represent YOUR interests (either a real estate agent or a real estate attorney, depending on how things are done in your state).
You are correct.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,354 times
So you haven't signed all the paperwork, but they have your money?
I would just cancel the check right away and be done with that company. Not an expert at all
I agree with the other posters. Next time, take at least 24 hours to sleep on any big decision before giving out money.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalemnicka22 View Post
We found a neighborhood that we LOVE. We had our hearts set on building but we let the agent talk us out of it. We signed the papers and gave our earnest money but something was just not sitting right with me. I hated the fact that the agent was so pushy. We would close on the house in September even though we weren't ready to move until January. When we said we wanted to build on the lot behind us he said it was sold even though there was/is no sign. (Building on that lot would be cheaper as the spec home has upgrades that make it more expensive) He told us we would have to pay a premium for building of at least 5000 dollars. He told us they wouldn't pay our closing costs if we didn't buy the spec home. When i told him i wouldn't be ready to move until January he told me i liked paying rent and the development would be finished by that time. Any reason we could come up with for wanting to build he came up with a reason why we were making a mistake. Anyway the final straw was when he told my husband he would have the papers he signed ready at 3. I went to pick them up across town and he had not spoken with the agent that was on duty today. She didn't know i was coming and couldn't help me. I was furious. I drove home and told my husband to call him and tell him we changed our minds and we wanted our money back. So i'm sitting here thinking if i made a mistake or did i do the right thing. Something about this guy really rubs me the wrong way.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,354 times
It got moved from the real estate professional forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
What state was this in? If I were you, I'd post this question in the forum for real estate professionals or in the forum for the area where the property is located. I suspect that you may be able to back out of the purchase, but you probably will not be able to get the earnest money back. That's just a guess, though. The realtors and real estate lawyers who work in your state will know for sure.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Good advice here. That builder's Rep will pressure you to do what's best for the builder. You need someone you trust to work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate