Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

We are in FL and I keep hearing that banks don't want to finance anyone. I was told due to the large amount of forclosures they are being very, very strict. Maybe, this is the part of the reason everyone is having such a hard time selling. Has anyone else heard this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Well, my buyers aren't having any trouble. It depends on the bank, the buyer, their credit score, their circumstances and $$ they have in hand. Also depends on which region in Florida you are talking about. Many lenders, for particular areas, are requiring more money down...say in the county above me, a standard 10% down for a 2nd home becomes a 15% down in my own county.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Our buyers had no trouble either - a couple in their early 30's - had 20% down and a good monthly income and no debt....if you have those things, it should be no problem.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

169 posts, read 1,069,400 times
I'm in Florida too.

"Trouble" depends more on the borrower - there's money to lend - but it's definately not like it used to be. Borrowers will have to produce documentation verifying income. Yes, they'll have to demonstrate they can repay the loan - I know, I know hard to believe in Florida. (I'm not picking on you, just the lending history/situation)

If one has a credit score below 625 they'll have to put more down. Even with a score above 625 they'll also need at least 10% down unless they get FHA financing - which is still available with 3% down but there are loan limits on FHA loans - although they were just raised in 1st quarter to over $300K.

We're seeing borrowers get approvals, they just have to have more "skin in the game" than lenders used to require. We're also seeing seller's carry back second's.

Last edited by ntfeldman; 07-08-2008 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile It is tougher but still can get done

Banks will want good loans with money down - at least 2.25% (FHA) and 5% (conventional). That is still a good deal.

I'm in Florida - not really having any problem getting loans approved. I deal with good lenders, have a good reputation, honest and get em done.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM

35 posts, read 128,140 times
I think Banks are being careful on who they are lending money too.My loan officer told us they require a min credit score of 680 for VA Loans & they require a higher credit score for conventional loans plus money down.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We are in FL and I keep hearing that banks don't want to finance anyone. I was told due to the large amount of forclosures they are being very, very strict. Maybe, this is the part of the reason everyone is having such a hard time selling. Has anyone else heard this?
There seem to be a lot of deals falling through due to financing problems, but then again, some former neighbor friends of mine just bought their first house and they frankly don't have 2 pennies to rub together and have had money problems for years. Don't know how they pulled it off, but apparently it's still possible.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Depends on where you are and what the loan is for. We have a client right now who has over an 800 credit score, good, documentable income, and low debt, and he was told by several banks that they would require a minimum of 30% down on an investment property he wanted to buy.

We are also only getting 70% LTV (loan to value) on our construction loans right now for building houses, and we have excellent credit as well and are not overburdened with loans.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Being in Florida you may remember Hurricane Andrew (I believe) that did so much damage. I recall State Farm Insurance quit writing coverage in areas where they had too large a piece of the market to limit their exposure. The ripple effects even hit us here in TX.

Maybe something similar with the lenders in high foreclosure areas.

Another Lending Hurricane has wiped out some good creditors.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Depends on where you are and what the loan is for. We have a client right now who has over an 800 credit score, good, documentable income, and low debt, and he was told by several banks that they would require a minimum of 30% down on an investment property he wanted to buy.

We are also only getting 70% LTV (loan to value) on our construction loans right now for building houses, and we have excellent credit as well and are not overburdened with loans.
That is because lending on investment properties and on construction loans has WAY more risk to the lender than someone buying an existing property as their primary residence.

To the OP, it is a complete fallacy that banks/mortgage lenders don't want to lend. It is however, ture that lending guidelines have been tightened up quite a bit compared to the last few years of way 'too loose' standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate