U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,765,023 times

Advertisements

sorry gbone...I guess I should clarify that. It would be if we found someone that did not have an agent. I had one person a couple of weeks ago that I showed it to. And I gave their name to my agent in case they come back, it was okay with that person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 20,762 times
Your obligated to pay the Realtor if you signed the agreement with them. Read the term "listng agent". All listing agents do is list your home for sale and then go out and find another client to list their house too. They do not do showings. That's not their job.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,832,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Your contract defines obligations. You have probably violated the contract by advertising your own home w/o permission and could be setting yourself up for legal troubles. Protecting your legal interests is also part of the Realtor's job and you may unintentionally set your self up for a lawsuit depending on how you worded your add.

Now I don't know if your Realtor has done a good job or not so I'm just going by the book on my response.

I agree.

I'm fed up with people signing contrats, leases, and mortgages w/o having a clue what they're signing and thinking they can escape the terms !

Some people should not be allowed to use a pen.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
I am listing with a Broker and I plan to market my home as much as possible to help in the effort to get it sold. Though the statistics are that my efforts won't bring in a buyer, I would like the opportunity to try. Is it ethical to ask my Broker to take less than 6% (if there's no buyers agent) should I find a buyer buy some remote chance (no using her flyer etc.). Thank you, Karen

Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,364,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzdotes View Post
I am listing with a Broker and I plan to market my home as much as possible to help in the effort to get it sold. Though the statistics are that my efforts won't bring in a buyer, I would like the opportunity to try. Is it ethical to ask my Broker to take less than 6% (if there's no buyers agent) should I find a buyer buy some remote chance (no using her flyer etc.). Thank you, Karen
How would you prove the buyer found out about your house through your efforts and not your realtor's efforts?

Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 148,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzdotes View Post
I prefer not to be a dual agent, however, should I agree to it, after explaining exactly what that means to both parties and everyone is pleased I will take a reduced commission. I will also reduce my commission if my owners are using me as their buyers agent on their next home purchase and I pay a higher commission to the buyers agent to encourage a quicker sale.

The OP should call their agents manager or ask their agent to give them a weekly update on what they are doing. Your agent should be keeping a log of what they are doing for you and be able to show you that. They also should have made certain you read your contract and didn't have any questions about it.

Good luck to both of you. I hope everything works out!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,769,309 times
Some states have "transaction agents". They don't represent anybody. They just fill in the blanks on the forms. In the business they are referred to as "a monkey with a pencil".

In Maine there is something called "exclusive agency". Your brokerage is the only agency representing the seller, but the seller is free to sell the property on his own. Sellers like this since they can use Zillow, or Craig's list to their heart's content. The seller will deal with all the people who want to rent to own, simply rent or submit strange financing plans. If the seller unloads his property this way he owes the listing agency nothing.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM

22,155 posts, read 27,716,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajori View Post
Hi,
I signed with a realtor (who supposedly had a good reputation) to sell my home which has unfortunately sat on the market for a while. The realtor has not personally shown my home, nor has she initiated any contact with regards to marketing adjustments (such as lowering the price) to help sell our home. Frustrated by her lack of involvement, we listed our home on a "sell your own home website". We now have interest in our home via that website, and I was wondering what obligations I have to this realtor who seems to be working very little for us. It seems unfair to us that we are doing her job and she could potentially walk away with a commission even if I terminate the contract now.

Yup you're right. She will demand the commission. Your best bet is to get her to dissolve the contract and give a statement she will not cesium any commission from the sale of your house.
Otherwise you can FISBO and she can demand payment if you're under contract

Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 AM

6,448 posts, read 5,038,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajori View Post
we listed our home on a "sell your own home website". We now have interest in our home via that website,
I wouldn't start packing just yet. There's a huge difference in "interest via that website" and a contract. By the way, did you list it for the same price as your MLS listing?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:17 AM

17,692 posts, read 23,514,268 times
You guys realize this thread is from 2010, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate