Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM

35 posts, read 128,132 times

Advertisements

You may have to lower your price...I know you can't do anything about the street but a lot of people will factor this in when buying a home. It's all great that your neighbors don't park on the street but its' NOT a guaranteed that any NEW owners won't park on the street.... Who knows the buyer MAY like parking on the street & seeing your home he knows he can longer choose the parking he prefers.

We have past up 2 homes that we really like because we felt if we went to sell the home we would have a problem selling it ...One house had a huge drainage ditch taking up most of the front yard ....the other home had huge hill in backyard sloping towards the house. Both homes were priced according to the comps. Both homes have lowered their price by 10,000 since we last saw them . If they lowered the one house with drainage ditch by 20,000 I have to say, I would be tempted to make a offer on the home then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM

110 posts, read 502,274 times
"Lexus conveys"

Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Make the price so attractive that it becomes a non issue.
Bingo... the only way to compensate a buyer for an attribute that can't be changed is to reduce the price to reflect the diminished value.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:24 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
The only thing you can do is adjust the price.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

From where you are at in the asking pricing would be OK to go down like $199,999? If you have to sell that would be next step.
That is a terrible list price because you exclude the best buyers. Those looking on the searches from 200k-225k. Internet searches with drop down windows have changed pricing but many agents haven't caught up yet. At the suggested price the best buyers would be lost over $1.00.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I don't think that is the only thing a seller can do. Landscaping that is terrific; an interior that is tricked out better than the competition's . . . I dunno. Price it right - yes. But just assuming that lowering the price is going to make someone overcome an objection . . . I tend to think that pointing out how narrow the street may be is just an excuse . . . they simply wanted to find something to point out that was a reason not to buy!!! Take a hard look at your house and your landscaping . . . down to appliances and faucets/fixtures . . . I would rather spend $2000 upgrading things a bit or spiffing up some small details than lower the price . . .unless your house is priced too high (for the market) already.

Having a cul-de-sac is very desirable . . . I just think you haven't found the right buyer yet.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
We have had sooooo many showings and no offers on our house. The biggest complaint we have gotten is our street is too narrow. We live almost in a cul-de-sac and the street does narrow towards that but we have never had any problem with it, and no one across from us parks on the street. All the other feedback we have gotten has been great. Love the house, beautiful house, blah blah blah...

So what can we do since we can't change the width of the street? Is our only option lowering the price so low that it has to sell and we have to give it away?

I think if someone LOVES the house then the street won't matter that much but obviously people can't get past that. I know there was a thread on here about this and lots of people said they wouldn't even consider it if the street was too narrow.

I am at my wits end. We already are the lowest priced house in our neighborhood in our size/number of bedrooms,etc.

I can't take much more cleaning, showing, disappointment.
Advertise the street size as a positive.

"house at the end of a private cul-de-sac for quiet romantic evenings"

This way when they show up at your home, its not a shock to them.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Is it kinda like a pipestem? We have cul de sacs in our neighborhood but also very narrow pipestems - the problem with these is that the front of the neighbors house is very close to the front of the house for sale. That was a big turnoff for me.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
As several people have said, figure out the virtues of that particular vice (every vice has its virtue and vice versa) and highlight that aspect.

Sometimes it takes some work, but it usually can be done.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
We have had sooooo many showings and no offers on our house. The biggest complaint we have gotten is our street is too narrow. We live almost in a cul-de-sac and the street does narrow towards that but we have never had any problem with it, and no one across from us parks on the street. All the other feedback we have gotten has been great. Love the house, beautiful house, blah blah blah...

So what can we do since we can't change the width of the street? Is our only option lowering the price so low that it has to sell and we have to give it away?

I think if someone LOVES the house then the street won't matter that much but obviously people can't get past that. I know there was a thread on here about this and lots of people said they wouldn't even consider it if the street was too narrow.

I am at my wits end. We already are the lowest priced house in our neighborhood in our size/number of bedrooms,etc.

I can't take much more cleaning, showing, disappointment.

seems to me as though you and your realtor have made this an issue in your mind and you're probably projecting this. if it wasn't a problem for you then it probably won't be for anyone else unless they own huge vehicles, rv's or boats. imo the days of owning those things are coming to an end anyway (gas prices) so as time goes by it probably becomes more of a NON-issue. personally i like narrow roads as it adds to the privacy, the kids can play out on the street without worrying about speeding vehicles etc. you should turn this around on anyone that mentions it. perhaps ask them why it concerns them so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate