Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM

336 posts, read 864,416 times

Advertisements

I am so Happy for you dj32 and dogmom. I know the rest of can't wait to be in the place you are now. Just reading all that you are going through leaves inspiration for us still lingering on the market. I am hoping and praying that the couple that cam weds will be back. They gave great positive feedback with our realtor encouraging them to write it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykesfamily View Post
I am so Happy for you dj32 and dogmom. I know the rest of can't wait to be in the place you are now. Just reading all that you are going through leaves inspiration for us still lingering on the market. I am hoping and praying that the couple that cam weds will be back. They gave great positive feedback with our realtor encouraging them to write it up.
Hoping they come back, too. I wish I had sage words of advice but just hang in there! It WILL happen!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I told hubby yesterday that our agent will probably be glad to be rid of me, hubby agreed. Ticked me off so I said, well someone had to take control of the listing, if we don't look out for ourselves, no one will.
Don't expect a thank you card..

Quote:
Hubby very stressed tonight, trying to do a timeline in his head and figure it all out right now. This is nothing new, i told him to write it down and work it all out on paper. And take a deep breath.
The time line is hard. Thankfully you have a place to go to and don't have to close on something. Hopefully you will have a closing date sooner then we did, didn't get one until 7 days before. At one point, I had to call the mover to tell him to change the dates I reserved. Thankfully he had a slot open.

Quote:
Tomorrow we go get a storage place and start loading it up. We can't take that much with us so it's stressful trying to figure out what to take and what to leave behind.. Of course I want to take everything precious to me, lol. I am taking clothes, office stuff, scrapbooking stuff, a few cookbooks I treasure and my clothes. Also a few knick knacks, everything else goes in storage. Hubby will take just clothes, the lawn mower, blower, power washer, some garage things. We are so limited up there with space, it's tough and I know I will take too much..
What I did was bought see-through plastic containers. If it was something I thought we'd need, it went in one. I can't tell you how much easier my life was just due to that. I found ones that were magazine sized, great for my calendar, mail, stapler, envelopes & stamps. Got really large ones for coats, plus everyone had a few for clothes since I cleaned out to stage the house. We've been here 2 months, I think I've been through just about every box & storage container.. finally. We have a lot of stuff.

Quote:
I am not the scrapbooker I would like to be, I thought when we moved here I would be able to go through years of pictures and start working with them..nope, too much stress going on with the folks, etc....I would LOVE in my next real home, to have a room dedicated to hobbies. Somewhere I could set up all my scrap supplies, I have collected quite a few things to work with, papers, embellishments, etc... also a place to keep my sewing machine out, just a playroom for me. When you get your stuff settled, I would love to see some pictures of how you arrange it all.
You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a good sewing table from? I want to make pillows for my daughters new room.

Quote:
I have a friend in NorCal, who is a major scrapper. She did not scrap until 2 years ago when her son passed away, she has made many, many albums of his life, it has been her salvation...she sent me pictures of her scrap room a while back, I will send them to you...she inspires me. In fact, last November I got myself up to Sacramento and went to the Expo at the Sac Convention center, I need to know how to photoshop, took a short class and got some manuals, but I need to take a real class. I loved all the vendors, it was a lot of fun
Sorry about her son. That stinks. I don't doubt the pictures & scrap booking help. After dad died, I made picture shadow boxes for my kids, each got a few momentos of his in it. It was nice going back & looking at the pictures.

As for Photoshop classes, there's a magazine I used to buy called Adobe Photoshop Focus Guide put out by
Computer Arts magazine (printed in England). I wish I had the whole set, as it's something I wanted to learn too. I just looked at the site, don't see it listed. Will look more later.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Don't expect a thank you card..

The time line is hard. Thankfully you have a place to go to and don't have to close on something. Hopefully you will have a closing date sooner then we did, didn't get one until 7 days before. At one point, I had to call the mover to tell him to change the dates I reserved. Thankfully he had a slot open.

What I did was bought see-through plastic containers. If it was something I thought we'd need, it went in one. I can't tell you how much easier my life was just due to that. I found ones that were magazine sized, great for my calendar, mail, stapler, envelopes & stamps. Got really large ones for coats, plus everyone had a few for clothes since I cleaned out to stage the house. We've been here 2 months, I think I've been through just about every box & storage container.. finally. We have a lot of stuff.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a good sewing table from? I want to make pillows for my daughters new room.

Sorry about her son. That stinks. I don't doubt the pictures & scrap booking help. After dad died, I made picture shadow boxes for my kids, each got a few momentos of his in it. It was nice going back & looking at the pictures.

As for Photoshop classes, there's a magazine I used to buy called Adobe Photoshop Focus Guide put out by
Computer Arts magazine (printed in England). I wish I had the whole set, as it's something I wanted to learn too. I just looked at the site, don't see it listed. Will look more later.
Thanks, Sue for all the hints...I als like the idea of clear plastic storage. I know I am going to use those for the items in our dresser drawers since the furniture has to go in storage...we are getting wardrobe boxes, that has helped us before with the hanging clothes, and I really want both of us to go through our clothes and give away. I just gave 3 huge bags to the local women's shelter before I went to Illinois earlier in the month..there is more.

My son's fiancee's mom has an awesome sewing/hobby setup, she got the furniture from somewhere, duh..I will check, the table folds when not in use.
My mom has/had a great table that my grandfather made many years ago, machine folds down into the table...i wonder where that is, it didn't get moved here.

It's early and I think I am going back to bed for a while, going to work on packing dishes today..the more we get done NOW the easier for hubby.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 AM

7,726 posts, read 1,888,946 times
dogmom and everyone else who is putting things in storage, a word of warning.
My daughter had several pieces of furniture in storage and some were stolen. The side walls of her unit had drywall and the police figured that one of the people on either side ( they couldn't tell which ) must have taken down the drywall to get to her unit to take her some of her furniture out. She had no way to prove what was taken so of course it was impossible to do anything. The police told her this was nothing new and happens more than people realize, so when you go to look for a storage unit try to find one that has block walls.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sue for all the hints...I als like the idea of clear plastic storage. I know I am going to use those for the items in our dresser drawers since the furniture has to go in storage...we are getting wardrobe boxes, that has helped us before with the hanging clothes, and I really want both of us to go through our clothes and give away. I just gave 3 huge bags to the local women's shelter before I went to Illinois earlier in the month..there is more.

My son's fiancee's mom has an awesome sewing/hobby setup, she got the furniture from somewhere, duh..I will check, the table folds when not in use.
My mom has/had a great table that my grandfather made many years ago, machine folds down into the table...i wonder where that is, it didn't get moved here.

It's early and I think I am going back to bed for a while, going to work on packing dishes today..the more we get done NOW the easier for hubby.
Barb, Walmart has a nice dish packing kit. It comes with 2 boxes, one for plates the other cups, it has dividers for the cups (gives you enough dividers for both boxes) as well as bubble wrap for the dishes. They also have a roll of plastic wrap, I found so many uses for it, like my jewelry box to keep the drawers from opening. We also found Uhaul cheapest for boxes if you need to buy some. They have a system where all of the boxes are sized so they stack. You can reuse them, they will also buy them back if you bought too much. Also look on craigslists to see if someone is selling theirs.

If you do find out about the sewing table I'd be interested. I did find one at sears shop at home but haven't ordered it yet. With my back I can't be lugging the machine & serger out every time I want to use it.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
My daughter had several pieces of furniture in storage and some were stolen. The side walls of her unit had drywall and the police figured that one of the people on either side ( they couldn't tell which ) must have taken down the drywall to get to her unit to take her some of her furniture out. She had no way to prove what was taken so of course it was impossible to do anything. The police told her this was nothing new and happens more than people realize, so when you go to look for a storage unit try to find one that has block walls.
geez, lost what I typed as I'm not used to this new mac mini not pasting when I hit ctrl v...

Thanks for posting that. Ours had metal walls.
We ended up with roaches, my guess is they were in the moving van, since our stuff was in it over night, they were able to have a party.

If I could do it again, I would spray the moving van with roach killer.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post

Great idea, Judy..we are hunting down storage today...i wish we could take the furniture closer, we have a friend here, though that will check on the stuff once in a while and I am taking pictures of Everything, and will again once it gets into storage..thanks for that hint!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Barb, Walmart has a nice dish packing kit. It comes with 2 boxes, one for plates the other cups, it has dividers for the cups (gives you enough dividers for both boxes) as well as bubble wrap for the dishes. They also have a roll of plastic wrap, I found so many uses for it, like my jewelry box to keep the drawers from opening. We also found Uhaul cheapest for boxes if you need to buy some. They have a system where all of the boxes are sized so they stack. You can reuse them, they will also buy them back if you bought too much. Also look on craigslists to see if someone is selling theirs.

If you do find out about the sewing table I'd be interested. I did find one at sears shop at home but haven't ordered it yet. With my back I can't be lugging the machine & serger out every time I want to use it.
Sue, what kind of table are you looking for? I mean, how big, something that folds out, or stays open and accessible. I found a couple websites, I will email them to you.

Does walmart have those in stock or do I have to order the boxes online. DH bought a bunch of boxes at Home Depot, 2 and 3 bucks each.. He found a place that sells the wardrobe boxes for $7 each. that is a good deal. I am saving those for when we make our permanent move. Will breakt them all down and save...then we don't have to buy again..

thanks for all the hints.

anyone have an idea on how to store a tempurpedic mattress...on it's side, flat? We are going to get climate control for the furniture so the temp will be a pretty even 75 year round...

Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 AM

97 posts, read 485,900 times
dogmom:

our storage place fumigates, worth to ask if your place does the same and we choose an indoor climate controlled unit because we didn't know how long we'd have our stuff there. we also got insurance for our stuff through our homeowners policy (even though we sold our place), very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate