Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times

Advertisements

On the For Sale sign posted in your front yard there is a little box where you keep flyers about your house.
We keep our's filled and keep count of how many has gone in/out.
48 has so far gone out.

I know in the beginning your neighbors are grabbing them, but I have seen several people riding by and stopping to get one.

My question is - Has anyone ever sold their house by someone riding by and getting a flyer from the box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:38 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Sure! We have a lot of buyers that just drive around and see what neighborhood they like, etc. If they see a house they like, they take the flyer. If they are working with a Realtor® they call them up and ask about the house. Just had a phone call tonight from a woman I'm working with about a FSBO and the flyer she took from the box.
When I sold my own home, it was a drive by that took a flyer. Came with his Realtor® the next day and we went into contract.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
Yes, you need to provide info for people who just happen buy or they will forget. I keep all flyers in one folder when I want to refer to them.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
I have always debated the Pro & Cons of outside graphics on the box.

If there is no graphic, we hopefully get more calls directly asking about the house. We can then talk to them in person to discuss all the positive things this home offers.

If there is a graphic it may help the drive by remember the home or at least give them an idea of price & amenities.

After 12 years in the business I'm 50 / 50 on whether to do them or not. I usually do do them wanting to err on the side of "let's try it"

I sometimes will start out with graphics and if I'm not getting calls will remove the graphics. Sometimes I add them back.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,021,926 times
When our house first went for sale, we asked our realtor as well as other professionals. They all said they don't work in our area. In fact, i heard it could be a negative in that people wouldnt call to ask for info. I cant imagine why but they said because houses are so different around here and that people tend to use those flyers to compare houses. i still didnt buy it. by the way, we drove around and never saw any of the boxes. so i made a flyer, very professional looking, on quality paper and we set up a nice box attached to the sign. our realtor didn't mind, we had put his info on it. We also kept track how many were taken which was close to 40. He never got one call from a person or another realtor about our flyer in 3 months. So i guess they were right. But I know, when we were in the area that we are moving to, we took a lot. I still don't understand why it didnt generate any interest.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I just sold a home last week where they drove by and grabbed the flyer. I do property blog sites for my clients, so they hit that next, then called me for the showing. It was great.

They were the first showing for the home and closed 30 days later...

I'm a firm believer in flyers as they have always generated interest for my sellers.

P.S. I only do color ones.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I did a flyer box on my own too. Exactly as you did stoymonkey...........
I see many times it gets empty. I'd say about 25 or more have left the container.
I Know myself when we go into neighborhoods we grab them up. We take a bunch of them also and go over the fact sheets.
Sometimes the home is sold before someone is ready I guess.
I've taken them before I was exactly ready to buy, checking the area pricing.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,467 times
After having over 250 go out, at our expense, I renamed them toliet paper and told the new agents not to put any out as all the neighbors and then some, had gotten one. IMO, for me, they are a waste.
There is a add'l sign for the yahoo link, plus a hotline phone #.

FYI-There is a paper I designed, inside on the counter labeled "Dear Realtor, may we point out these features?".... It is a highlight of facts about the house that are not really noted on the MLS sheet. And since the listing agent isn't there to point the stuff out, that is how other agents will know, since 'seller' shouldn't be present...(said sarcastically

Also, I have a 3 page flyer available inside, that goes room by room, with the dimensions and features, plus specific info about the house.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
P.S. I only do color ones.
When I do them, the 1st 30-40 I put out are usually Black & White. Although I do print them high quality with a printer and not a copier so they look better. Those are all the ones the neighbors take out of curiosity. I then do color after that for the drive by's.

Many older experienced agents I've talked too don't like them. They want any interested buyers to give them a call so they can sell the property in person.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
The ones I see are in leaky boxes with runny colored ink and old prices or worse, old prices crossed out with newer prices. In my opinion, everybody has wireless phones now and they call the listing office if they want more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate