Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:00 AM

254 posts, read 809,916 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been looking for a house for quite some time. It is quite difficult due to the fact that I am in the 170 to 200k price range and I don't want a condo. My realtor takes me to these dumps and then goes on and on about the potential. For example, we went to a house where the carpet smell of dog and cat pee was so horrendously strong, I almost passed out. I am sure it was in the floor boards. I had to put my shirt over my nose. It was on a big piece of property and she said, "Look at the potential in this place"-you could put in new floors, cabinets, stairs, etc. She thinks I am Donald Trump. I say, "why don't you just tear the place down". Every house we see, after 2 min in the door she says "why dont you make a lowball offer". I haven't even looked at the friggin house yet!!! I looked at a house with a bathroom so skinny you would have to be "twiggy" to use it and it had no tub just a shower stall you would see in your local gym. She says, you could move the toilet, knock down this wall, get new plumbing, raise the ceiling etc - do this-do that. I have pretty much come to terms that I cannot afford a home right now. When I do search again, how can I find a realtor that cares about me and is working in my best interest. This woman is fired as of today!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Try to go and look at houses your self by calling the listing agent and if you find some thing you might meanwhile find a realtor that you like to do the negotiations or do it your self if you think you can do that and try to get more off the price since there isn't a buyers agent. I did it and agents are not happy to do so but they need an income and realize that by cutting a little of their commission to work out the deal (otherwise they had the share the 6% any way so by cutting 2% they still get 1% more), and a seller cutting the price a little it is a win win situation IMo, maybe not for a buyers agent who is losing out. You should only do it this way if you feel confident and you can always have a real estate lawyer go over the contract which won't ake more than 1 hour of his time and won't cost that much and at least you get legal advise that way, which a realtor can't give you. A lawyer gets paid anyway a realtor only gets paid when the deal will close so they have more interest in getting the deal done than giving fair advise in to both sides. The lawyer gets paid inthe deal closes or not so no issue for the lawyer to state if the deal is good or not.
Good Luck and ask around maybe people have good things to say about a certain realtor.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
I don't see anything in your post that would suggest that the realtor is not doing her job.

Perhaps that is all that is available in your price range??

Yes, please do fire that realtor .... you'll be doing her a favor.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than an agent who does not hear you say "it must be habitable for $xxxx" or "major repairs/upgrades are not in my budget".

It may very well be that you can not afford to own, and it sounds like you may understand this. Have you considered looking in other towns for less pricey options?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
If you are looking in the town that you have listed in your profile, on realtor.com there are quite a few very nice homes there. Of course, they aren't large homes so that tends to tell me that you are looking for something that is larger and in your price range that means... a fixer upper. If you don't want those, then you need to tell your agent, I don't want a fixer upper. And then you'll need to change your expectations to what IS available in your price range. Or, as you said...wait until you can afford what you want.
It doesn't mean you can't 'trust' your agent if you can't afford what you want.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
It's possible that the agent is showing you everything that is available in YOUR price range in your area, or possibly she's not. Can't imagine why she wouldn't - it wouldn't be in her best interests to do so, if there's something you could and would buy that isn't in the condition described - but it's possible. Have you checked Realtor.com or your local board's house finding site (if your local board has one) and do you see anything other than houses in the condition that she's showing you that you're not being shown?

As for what she's saying, perhaps she's trying to show you a way to get what you want, since you can't just buy it. Or perhaps not - we're not there and can't really judge that - maybe she's just in to remodeling.

I can't really think of a motivation that is to her advantage and not yours for her to do this. But you really should have confidence in whatever real estate agent you work with, and clearly you don't have confidence in her.

When you start your search again, first, ask friends if they can recommend someone that would work well with you. If you can't get referrals, at least interview a couple/three agents (let them know that's what you're doing), just as you would if you are listing a house. Be open and frank about your position; make sure to get yourself pre-approved (not pre-qualified) first, so you can tell them with confidence how much you can afford to spend. Have a list of your wants/needs (not always the same thing, obviously) ready. See which one you feel most comfortable with and who seems to be listening to what you say and understanding you the most clearly. Then pick one.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
Hi,

I have been looking for a house for quite some time. It is quite difficult due to the fact that I am in the 170 to 200k price range and I don't want a condo. My realtor takes me to these dumps and then goes on and on about the potential. For example, we went to a house where the carpet smell of dog and cat pee was so horrendously strong, I almost passed out. I am sure it was in the floor boards. I had to put my shirt over my nose. It was on a big piece of property and she said, "Look at the potential in this place"-you could put in new floors, cabinets, stairs, etc. She thinks I am Donald Trump. I say, "why don't you just tear the place down". Every house we see, after 2 min in the door she says "why dont you make a lowball offer". I haven't even looked at the friggin house yet!!! I looked at a house with a bathroom so skinny you would have to be "twiggy" to use it and it had no tub just a shower stall you would see in your local gym. She says, you could move the toilet, knock down this wall, get new plumbing, raise the ceiling etc - do this-do that. I have pretty much come to terms that I cannot afford a home right now. When I do search again, how can I find a realtor that cares about me and is working in my best interest. This woman is fired as of today!!!
I understand your problem. Sounds like this agent is so eager to sell any house that you feel they are telling you to purchase something, just so they'll eat.

It does sound like that for your price range your looking at a handy mans special. Sounds like you need an agent that is honest with you as it doesn't sound like this agent has told you that.

Best advice I can give you is to go to yahoo real estate & try to find an agent through there. You can read actual feedback. When you don't know any agents, you have to start some where and this may be a good option for you.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Try to go and look at houses your self by calling the listing agent and if you find some thing you might meanwhile find a realtor that you like to do the negotiations or do it your self if you think you can do that and try to get more off the price since there isn't a buyers agent. I did it and agents are not happy to do so but they need an income and realize that by cutting a little of their commission to work out the deal (otherwise they had the share the 6% any way so by cutting 2% they still get 1% more), and a seller cutting the price a little it is a win win situation IMo, maybe not for a buyers agent who is losing out. You should only do it this way if you feel confident and you can always have a real estate lawyer go over the contract which won't ake more than 1 hour of his time and won't cost that much and at least you get legal advise that way, which a realtor can't give you. A lawyer gets paid anyway a realtor only gets paid when the deal will close so they have more interest in getting the deal done than giving fair advise in to both sides. The lawyer gets paid inthe deal closes or not so no issue for the lawyer to state if the deal is good or not.
Good Luck and ask around maybe people have good things to say about a certain realtor.
I can tell you that from reading various real estate forums & blogs that agents don't like this. At one place I go to, one person is calling listing agents to get in the door, then moves on to another house / listing agent.

As for getting a house cheaper with cutting commission, legally, it may not happen. Commission is between a seller and agent and if there is a signed listing contract, they may not lower commission, because legally, by the contract that was signed, they are entitled to such & such amount. When we listed our house, we had already negotiated in house sales commission.

Most markets are a buyers market. You offer what you feel the house is worth to you, with supporting comps. I as a buyer don't care how much commission any agent is getting, it is what I pay for a house.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 AM

92 posts, read 298,483 times
Take a look at new construction. There is a lot out there for 200k. You will get a new house with a warranty and get to pick everything you want from floor plans to colors. Also to get the best possible price keep your real estate agent out of it.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 AM

254 posts, read 809,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I don't see anything in your post that would suggest that the realtor is not doing her job.

Perhaps that is all that is available in your price range??

Yes, please do fire that realtor .... you'll be doing her a favor.
I know that a fixer upper is what I will have to get in my price range! I just don't like a realtor that is so eager to sell a house, she is asking me to put an offer in when I just walked into the foyer!!! According to your self described
name as "inspector", you probably look over many major flaws to get a house sold!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,569 times
Sounds like the realtor watches alot of "Hidden Potential" on HGTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate