Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 AM

667 posts, read 1,848,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Karen...good for you...I am always happy to see people staying realistic Have you walked around in the neighborhood you like, to get a feel for it? Ya never know, you might strike up a friendly conversation with some neighbors...and get the scoop on stuff heh heh
Thank you crazyma. I'll do exactly that. I actually toured and made an offer of 175 (meaning to go to 180) on a 214 house yesterday. They said nothing below 200. With a data point of one, perhaps it is not such a good idea. I could see the people went to lot of trouble to clean the house for me, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
Thank you crazyma. I'll do exactly that. I actually toured and made an offer of 175 (meaning to go to 180) on a 214 house yesterday. They said nothing below 200. With a data point of one, perhaps it is not such a good idea. I could see the people went to lot of trouble to clean the house for me, too.

Hey - it is all part of the process and I hope that you don't feel bad that they cleaned for you. If sellers want to sell, they go through a lot of work just to get people even in the door. They know they are going to have to do that coming into it. Good for you for making an offer though!

Kristine

Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
It never hurts to ask a seller. I mean, we are set at $399,900 and really want $380,000 but we would probably take $350,000 if someone offered it to us right now. So you just never know. Most people set it a little higher then they want because they know there is negotiation involved.

Kristine
If you're listed at 400K but will settle for 350K why not just list as 350K firm ?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you're listed at 400K but will settle for 350K why not just list as 350K firm ?
Because of people like you...

didn't you just say on another thread that you are ONLY looking at homes
50k above your price point, becuase sellers have that as their wiggle room? Well, what if you met up with this seller that priced extremely aggressively...do you still think there is 50k wiggle room?

that is a ridiculous way to negotiate... you should go get a few books on negotiation....

shelly
(a happy virginian)

Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
spot on shelley
ah, the fine art of *dickering*

Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,234 times
Shelly is right on!! much kudos!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post

50k above your price point, becuase sellers have that as their wiggle room? Well, what if you met up with this seller that priced extremely aggressively...do you still think there is 50k wiggle room?

that is a ridiculous way to negotiate... you should go get a few books on negotiation....

shelly
(a happy virginian)
No, I am not ONLY looking at homes 50K above my target..I am looking at my target, below my target and up to 50K above my target.
I'm not looking at homes 100K-200K above my target..I won't go higher than 50K above my target.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post

shelly
(a happy virginian)
If I saw a home at a price with "firm" I would not try to negotiate.
I asked a simple question..if this particular seller will settle for 50K less then why not list it as such ?

Is it all about the almighty dollar ?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
no actually it isn't.....

shelly

Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I saw a home at a price with "firm" I would not try to negotiate.
I asked a simple question..if this particular seller will settle for 50K less then why not list it as such ?

Is it all about the almighty dollar ?
Happy Texan,

Shelly is right. No matter WHERE a seller lists their home, it is automatically ASSUMED, in this terrible market, with this buyer, bargain hunting, get more house for your money attitude, that there is this type of rediculous bargaining room. Sellers, including us, did price at a competivive price to SELL, lowered by quite a bit from previous prices and it didn't matter. All it did was bring in EVEN lower, low ball offers of unrealistic measures. So if she listed @ $350,000, many, including those that hold your theory, would come in at $300,000 or less- right? This is the VERY unfair expectation that the buyers have come to develope. At this point in the market, I think EVERYONE knows our lists prices are not going to be what they were a few short years ago and have tried to listen to comps, local conditions, etc. and price their homes accordingly and all it's done is create this atmosphere of "the almighty dollar" and what it can get you for "NOTHING". Chances are, in a better market, her house would probably be bringing/listing closer to $450,000 so in essense, she's already listening to the "market" and listing $50,000 less, and willing to take another $50,000 off that. I think a $100,000 price difference from what would have been a few years ago is more than fair!! In other words, a $50,000 "wiggle" is very, very unrealistic and does fall into "insulting", especially in the lower priced homes. You're talking about over 10% swings, right off the bat, and the less the home is priced, the greater that %age comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate