Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhigdon5 View Post
No, not to find a builder - use realtor for purchase of a new home - it's a standing inventory home in a neighborhood that has tons of lots left to build on, very large neighborhood. They have like 4-5 builders in there. The home we are interested in making an offer on I found from research, began construction in April '07. So I was just trying to figure out the wiggle room I may have w/this home, closing costs in particular.
You have asked a very broad question, as builders don't all work the same.
Some will not undercut the price in the absence of a Buyers' Agent. They know that agents bring Buyers, and they don't want the reputation of cutting the agent out. Might lose access to that buyer pool.

And, as noted above, the commission funds may come from the marketing account, and if your agent doesn't get them, they may go into further marketing.

Or not.
It isn't a slam dunk either way.

One thing for sure, if you do or don't use an agent, you should strongly consider paying a real estate attorney to review the new construction contract.

In the long run, the stuff builders insert in their contracts could cost you a whole lot more moolah than closing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Many people have gotten into trouble when they have not used their own realtor when working with a builder's realtor. The builder's realtor is working for the BUILDER, not the buyer. It would be an insane mistake for the buyer to not have some sort of representation whether it be a realtor or an attorney.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most good builders have a marketing budget that pays the agent commission. The sales price is usually not affected by the lack or use of an agent.

With that said out of 30-40 top builders in DFW there are maybe 2-3 that I do know will adjust their price if you don't have an agent.

It's a catch 22 though, those are the lower quality builders where you need an agent the very most.
This post probably applies to most areas in proportional #'s.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 21,250 times
So from what I'm hearing you don't think a builder would not sell his house to us w/ a good offer because we want him to cover closing due to the fact that normally its the lenders that pay this? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhigdon5 View Post
So from what I'm hearing you don't think a builder would not sell his house to us w/ a good offer because we want him to cover closing due to the fact that normally its the lenders that pay this? Thanks!
I don't think that was said here at all.

First, it's not normally the lenders that pay closing costs, it's the buyers (you). Second, it depends on the builder. Some may adjust their price for you (paying closing costs in lieu of your realtor's commission), some won't. You can only make an offer and put what you want in the contract and see what happens. That still does not negate the fact that you absolutely NEED representation.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:51 PM

92 posts, read 298,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I don't think that was said here at all.

First, it's not normally the lenders that pay closing costs, it's the buyers (you). Second, it depends on the builder. Some may adjust their price for you (paying closing costs in lieu of your realtor's commission), some won't. You can only make an offer and put what you want in the contract and see what happens. That still does not negate the fact that you absolutely NEED representation.
In today's market you should not be paying closing costs. I don't care if it's a builder or a homeowner.

Representation by a realtor in not necessary when buying from a builder. Legal representation is, in most cases.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deno088 View Post
In today's market you should not be paying closing costs. I don't care if it's a builder or a homeowner.

Representation by a realtor in not necessary when buying from a builder. Legal representation is, in most cases.
I totally disagree with both statements.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4g8rs View Post
The builder will know how much he needs to take away from the closing table.
You can call divide the kitty into "incentives," "promotions," "closing costs," "lower price," whatever you want, but it is a "Net Game' and the Builder will be looking at his "Net Proceeds" when he makes a decision.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Remember the old saying "Buyer Beware"

At least with an experienced agent you've got another set of eyes. The secret is to find a good agent where 20-50% of their business is new construction.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

92 posts, read 298,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Remember the old saying "Buyer Beware"

At least with an experienced agent you've got another set of eyes. The secret is to find a good agent where 20-50% of their business is new construction.
Good set of eyes for what?

--Construction Standards. I have never meet a realtor that knew anything about construction or quality workmanship. Not that none exist but there are very few realtors around that know more than the average homeowner.

--Documents. Ask any realtor about legal advice and they should and will tell you that is what attorneys are for.

--Location, Schools, Neighborhoods. Legally realtors are not allowed to give their opinion

--Negotiating. Don't get me started .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate