Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM

384 posts, read 2,216,045 times

Advertisements

I know it is a buyers market but we feel like we are being bullied by our buyers. First we took an extremely lowball offer, gave them all closing costs, gave them the downpayment ,had to give up all kinds of household items for them including our W/D which they wouldn't budge on, and now they are insisting on moving up the closing date that we can't do! Our moving van can't come until a certain day to pick up our stuff ( we are moving out of state) and they keep insisting they want to close 2 days before that and that we can rent the house back for 2 days. So we would have to be inconvenienced and PAY out more money to them. Not to mention having to sign something that says we don't hold them responsible for anything during that time and have to keep our insurance, blah blah blah. Can they make us close early??

I know this is more a vent than anything but this has been such a stressful time in my life, I have 2 little boys and my husband is rarely home due to working out of state, and I am having to shoulder most of the burdens of this move by myself. I just feel like our buyers could be the slightest bit flexible in all of this too.

Anyone else being totally bullied around because you are scared to death of the deal falling thru?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:26 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,062,972 times
I think this is the time when you just say NO(on the earlier closing)
In any case I don't believe it's possible to insure something that belongs to somebody else.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM

84 posts, read 332,791 times
You still would want to hold insurance after the closing but it would be renters insurance rather than owners insurance. That's the way it works in this state at least. You would want to make sure you personal things are covered just in case something crazy happened.

They can't require you to move up the date, it needs to be mutually agreed upon. I wouldn't imagine that they would "walk away" at this point considering all the time and money that they have invested, depending on how far into the transaction you are. What is their reason for wanting to close two days early? If you will still be in the property I can't imagine what would be so pressing.

I have not seen buyers being this demanding in this area, it may just be the individuals. It's hard to say what they are thinking. Good luck and try to hang in there!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,142,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
I know it is a buyers market but we feel like we are being bullied by our buyers. First we took an extremely lowball offer, gave them all closing costs, gave them the downpayment ,had to give up all kinds of household items for them including our W/D which they wouldn't budge on, and now they are insisting on moving up the closing date that we can't do! Our moving van can't come until a certain day to pick up our stuff ( we are moving out of state) and they keep insisting they want to close 2 days before that and that we can rent the house back for 2 days. So we would have to be inconvenienced and PAY out more money to them. Not to mention having to sign something that says we don't hold them responsible for anything during that time and have to keep our insurance, blah blah blah. Can they make us close early??

I know this is more a vent than anything but this has been such a stressful time in my life, I have 2 little boys and my husband is rarely home due to working out of state, and I am having to shoulder most of the burdens of this move by myself. I just feel like our buyers could be the slightest bit flexible in all of this too.

Anyone else being totally bullied around because you are scared to death of the deal falling thru?
Sue, it sounds like you need to take a stand somewhere. You seem to have given them everything that they have asked for(low offer, all closing costs, downpayment???, appliances, etc.). They have literally got you on the run. If you give in to this my guess is that they will think of something else to demand since they will probably get it based on their experience. If the deal falls through because you don't agree to their latest demand then I don't think they really want the house. You don't have to be bullied if you don't want to.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 AM

40,922 posts, read 48,877,037 times
General rule of real estate is don't make the seller mad. Things have been know to happen to houses that don't surface for awhile until after closing.

Not saying you should do anything to the house but it sure is tempting when people don't make things fair for both parties.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,963,840 times
I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to sell now. Judging from the posts on this board by buyers, they think because this is a buyers market they have the right to take advantage of sellers and realtors are their servants who should humbly bow before them and cater to their every unreasonable whim.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 AM

739 posts, read 2,941,838 times
yes this is frustrating... I would take a stand on this closing thing too. We are talking 2 days and given all the other things I would think they understand. This is not a cross town move for you, surely they understand. I agree with tamitrail, it is frustrating for sellers who just want to make a fair sale.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 AM

151 posts, read 796,641 times
Sue, my heart goes out to you....I know how stressful it is to be handling all of this relo on your own. Just too much to coordinate while keeping the boys on an even keel, and now this! I agree with the others, just have your agent say NOPE. Movers can NOT be rescheduled, and renting is not an option, due to the GENEROUS concessions you have made already.

[quote][General rule of real estate is don't make the seller mad. Things have been know to happen to houses that don't surface for awhile until after closing.
/QUOTE]

You're right!! VERRRRRRY tempting. Especially when buyer continues, all the way up to close, to "ask" if personal items are "included" in the sale.....grrrrrrrrrrr.

Sue....get down here and let's have that drink!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM

384 posts, read 2,216,045 times
I must admit some devious thoughts when thru my head when Rakin said not to make the sellers mad! LOL!! I could leave my fish behind in the garage somewhere...

It is quite stressful to go thru all of this and I have sympathy for each and every one of you on this board going thru selling right now. Thank you for your continued support!!!

Mrs. Coach--will be there soon for that drink!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,653,113 times
Sue, I'm all for making sure I get the best deal in a transaction like this, but I have to concur w/the earlier post that taking a stand this far into the game won't break the deal.

Take a stand..you've been way more than accomodating. Enough is enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate