Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times

Advertisements

How sweet.. 1 and 1/2 years after buying and moving into our house. tonight we got a welcome to the neighbor hood gift basket, a neighborhood directory and a copy of the HOA covenants

At least the sweets and nuts were fresh

Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I would think so too but ... I'm just not seeing it. The non-HOA neighborhood next door is not nearly as nice yet ... prices are pretty much the same.

Prices were the same during the boom years and the comps are nearly identical with the bust also.

All I can figure is that the negatives associated with the HOA have apparently driven people away, at least to some extent.
In a non HOA community close to us there are very nice houses with beautiful pools and huge lots....some have nice looking homes next to them, others have trailers next to them with car wrecks in the yard and grass that is so high.....so it all depends...if you like that, than move there.....but if you like it not to have a chance of someone putting a trailer or a big boat and car wrecks in the yard next to you...than over here you have no other choice than buy HOA and almost all communities in my area are HOA/CDD communities, only the once in the rural areas are not.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by narnmacon View Post
We own a house in a HOA community and think they're all idiots. However, my dad has an HOA in his neighborhood, and he claims they're great. I was astounded. A GREAT HOA?! Um, a few too many beers, Dad? So, he tells me their rules- he actually has them memorized! No fencing in the front yard. No pigs, chickens, or goats, and a maximum of two horses per lot. That's it. So, moral of story= not all HOA's are horrid- just most.
Where does dad live? I'd love to live in his community if I ever move!

I've lived in an HOA governed community (in Las Vegas) with ridiculous rules, and hated it! Now we live in a semi-rural area of Florida. While I love the peace & freedom, I do wish, in a way, that we lived in a planned community with more children around.

Speaking of flower colors, I could swear that a friend who lives in a nearby community (Mike Peterson, you should know this community...Spring Ridge) told me there were certain flower colors allowed per their deed restrictions.

Anyway...I wish, if we were to move again (whether within Florida or back to Nevada), that we would be able to find a happy medium.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I brought a few people to Spring Ridge and did a quick glance at the HOA docs but don't remember anything about flower color.
I could be wrong since I only did a quick glance at the time.

You have me curious now though and I will have to check.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I brought a few people to Spring Ridge and did a quick glance at the HOA docs but don't remember anything about flower color.
I could be wrong since I only did a quick glance at the time.

You have me curious now though and I will have to check.
I, too, would love to know. But I could be mistaken. Maybe she actually said certain types of flowers are prohibited. I dealt with this in Vegas, one plant that I specifically remember being banned by the HOA that I lived under was Oleander.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
I, too, would love to know. But I could be mistaken. Maybe she actually said certain types of flowers are prohibited. I dealt with this in Vegas, one plant that I specifically remember being banned by the HOA that I lived under was Oleander.
Oleander is toxic. Rumored that a leaf may kill a child. Used as freeway vegetation in some areas as the toxicity repeals deer and other creatures.

Neat plant but we have no children around the premises.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Oleander is also very toxic for animals, but our HOA allows it and some pet haters have planted it in their yard....it looks very nice...but I"m still concerned what if they put leafs in the street....this one guy has yelled at many dog owners, even while they were picking up the poop.
Our docs. state: No invasive or non -native plants are permitted (e.g. melaleuca, Brazilian pepper) Citrus and other fruit trees are allowed in the back yard only and may not be a nuisance to neighbors. That is all, so nothing about colors, etc....and this is the same for all the other HOA communities I own homes...only one is only allowing brown mulch, not the red one.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I know this is an old debate but ... I'm just so PO'd right now.

I haven't been involved with HOA's for years and I swore that I would never do it again. However, I'm currently renting in a very nice neighorhood where there's an HOA. Because it is so nice and my bad experiences were so many years ago ... we decided to rethink our position and had pretty much settled on buying here (although we haven't, thankfully, bought anything yet).

Consequently, we decided to unload our stuff in storage from PODS, the well known storage people. They dropped off the POD in the driveway on Thursday and picked it up on Friday. It was always in our driveway ... it never blocked the street.

Even though the POD was there less than 24 hours, the HOA immediately fired off a letter to our landlord complaining about it. I mean ... these people must be overtly hostile ... waiting in the wings ready to pounce on anything. They never talked to us, they didn't even give it 24 hours ...

We don't have a right to unload storage items? Our landlord (who is not an HOA fan) told us that the HOA president is down the street and he's paid $10K a year to do this nonsense.

Whatever ... we won't be buying here now. It is, afterall, a buyers market with plenty of other places to go.

These morons can go harass someone else.
my personal favourite are the architectural reviews. i nearly offered on a 10 acre lot in an exclusive odessa, florida, gated community. after perusing the deed restrictions i pulled out.
it seems to me that the only form of architecture acceptable to hoas is OTT PASTICHE complete with hideously oversized porte cochere type entrances!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
my personal favourite are the architectural reviews. i nearly offered on a 10 acre lot in an exclusive odessa, florida, gated community. after perusing the deed restrictions i pulled out.
it seems to me that the only form of architecture acceptable to hoas is OTT PASTICHE complete with hideously oversized porte cochere type entrances!
Is it not a good thing that you read the HOA docs? There are those kind of places and most people should not live in them. But if in to huge porte chchere you to should have your place.

Kind of silly at 10 acres though.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Sounds like your HOA is a bit picky. I am a board member on an HOA, and if you were in our neighborhood, all you would have had to do was give a member a call and explain what you were up to.
We recently had a home owner request permission to park his very large boat in the driveway for two weeks, so he could have some repair done on the garage it's usually parked in. He was granted permission with no problem. All we ask is that you notify us when something unusual is taking place.
Last year, the same person asked permission to place an outhouse in front of his home for workers doing the remodeling. We allowed him to place in behind the fence on his property, but certainly not in the street in front.
We are easy to get along with, if you just communicate. My yearly pay for my duties is ZIP...!
Requesting permission is like your renting the damn joint!
My HOA fined me $200 for my friendly dog being off leash
in front of my home. Rules are rules, but that hurts.
Can't cut tree's to improve your landscaping, if the tree
dies you get fines and have to replace it. I can see making
a requirement for acceptable exterior have color, maintaining
a green lawn, and keeping your landscaping up, but other than
it's a over kill!
I never knew about the HOA until i was handed the keys to the house.
I can see to why the previous owners with held the HOA manual
until all papers were signed.
I'll do my two years and split to avoid capital gains, which would be
30% under Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate