Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times

Advertisements

Most HOAs are quite reasonable. Once in a while you find one where the jerks have gotten out of control. So throw them out.

HOAs work because the property owner agrees to the rules or at least the rule making procedure. If the owner does not like them he should not buy the house. Note that in many communities that commits you to building a custom...as there are no recent homes not in an HOA.

I can't imagine why a renter would be the least upset about a letter to the owner. That is his problem not yours. You go through life looking to pick fights? If you check you may well find in your lease an agreement to abide by the HOA rules. Did you really sign that without reading them? Uhhh who is dumb here?

HOAs are a way of life. If you can't live with them understand you are about to go rural and stay there. In many cities there simply is no other option.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
HOAs are a way of life. If you can't live with them understand you are about to go rural and stay there. In many cities there simply is no other option.
And that is the problem, the forcing of poeple having to take part in an HOA just to have a roof over their heads.

No one should have the right to tell you what to do with your own property outside the elected government, in which an HOA is not the government.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And that is the problem, the forcing of poeple having to take part in an HOA just to have a roof over their heads.

No one should have the right to tell you what to do with your own property outside the elected government, in which an HOA is not the government.
Life is hard. You agreed to restrictions on your property. This sort of restriction has been around forever. Nothing new. You will find restrictions on what you can do with your property everywhere...and sometimes they are hundreds of years old.

Sorry this is not how you envisaged private property...but it is the reality.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,646,405 times
I'm a volunteer at our HOA and know that people can have a POD for a certain amount of days, not a week. A boat can be there for a few hours but no longer.
We are pretty reasonable but it seems that it is always the same property or people who do things that aren't allowed and most of the time the come up with stupid excuses.
I'm not saying that is the case with your issue and in our community if you explain how long you have it nobody would complain or we would tell them that it is not their business. Specially in this time we welcome nice new neighbors and give them a little extra time to move in and clean up the mess, since most new buyers are buying foreclosed properties who look bad and we all are profiting when an empty house is sold. So you are more than welcome here and in any other community where I have homes, since they all have the same friendly but strict HOA.
Sorry to hear there are such an A$$$.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,286,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If you check you may well find in your lease an agreement to abide by the HOA rules. Did you really sign that without reading them? Uhhh who is dumb here?
Actually there is no provision in my rental agreement to abide by HOA rules. I guess my landlord neglected to include that. However, I am happy to abide by reasonable rules.

Figures ... this is so typical. All I did was take a day to unload a storage bin, which was promptly removed from the property in less than 24 hours.

Good God !!! What a horrible crime I committed !!!!!

Do you HOA people actually have a life because ... this is beyond ridiculous.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
I disagree, the rules should not be allowed in the first place. There should not be allowed an organization to dictate to people what they can and can not do to their own property.

Imagine if the state or federal government allowed themselves the same authority? People would be protesting and going crazy.

HOAs have morphed from a reasonable association to one of stringent and impossible rules that dictate the way people live on their own property.
People can form a club where all members agree to wear space helmets around town if they want to. An HOA is like a grown up club where the initiating members agree to follow certain rules. If you want to join their club you agree to follow their rules.

HOA's are such a non big deal here. We have so many neighborhoods that don't have them. 90% of the ones that do, the rules are two pages long that basically say mow your lawn, don't leave your trash cans out for days on end, and don't have chickens. Not a big deal. We have two very restrictive communities but people that live there want those restrictions, or like us move out.

People have the right to restrict themselves if they want to. Being able to restrict yourself is a freedom as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,646,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Actually there is no provision in my rental agreement to abide by HOA rules. I guess my landlord neglected to include that. However, I am happy to abide by reasonable rules.

Figures ... this is so typical. All I did was take a day to unload a storage bin, which was promptly removed from the property in less than 24 hours.

Good God !!! What a horrible crime I committed !!!!!

Do you HOA people actually have a life because ... this is beyond ridiculous.

Don't stress over this, it is bad for your health!
This is just a jerk who probable hasn't anything to say at home and this is his way of dealing with people. Go to the next meeting and complain how new people are treated, maybe he will resign soon. It is the person on the HOA that make it hard....we also have some volunteers who are so strict and I wanted to quit many times but it seems they are starting to understand what I told them and that is that we need new home owners and we can't be too picky about every single thing....and the good thing is some people leave and sometimes you get nicer people back....but it is also hard to find volunteers because most people don't want to do it but will complain.....

Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
People can form a club where all members agree to wear space helmets around town if they want to. An HOA is like a grown up club where the initiating members agree to follow certain rules. If you want to join their club you agree to follow their rules.

HOA's are such a non big deal here. We have so many neighborhoods that don't have them. 90% of the ones that do, the rules are two pages long that basically say mow your lawn, don't leave your trash cans out for days on end, and don't have chickens. Not a big deal. We have two very restrictive communities but people that live there want those restrictions, or like us move out.

People have the right to restrict themselves if they want to. Being able to restrict yourself is a freedom as well.
Those clubs do not levy fines and even threaten property seizure forcing your family homeless also if you do not pay.

Those clubs you mention, like the VFW for example, do not infringe on your personal rights and you have all the right to leave it without being forced to move.

If the HOAs were so great, then why force people into them when they buy a house?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Those clubs do not levy fines and even threaten property seizure forcing your family homeless also if you do not pay.

Those clubs you mention, like the VFW for example, do not infringe on your personal rights and you have all the right to leave it without being forced to move.

If the HOAs were so great, then why force people into them when they buy a house?
You are spending a lot of energy beating a dead horse. It will not get up.

Recorded restrictions on the use of property have been around for a very long time. It is how the ritzy suburbs used to keep out the blacks and the jews. It is now used to set the rules in a neighborhood.

It is a perfectly legitimate process. The seller is required to tell you all about it. But even if not disclosed it is binding.

By the way it is not binding on a renter unless in the lease. You can ignore the HOA rules. The owner may be in deep dodo...but that is not your problem. It is an incredibly bad gaff to lease an HOA home to someone without a rules clause in the lease.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,301,933 times
One wonders why those who crave HOA rules don't just rent, frankly. The HOA rules, as far as I can see, are little different than the restrictions that a landlord puts on someone who does not own, but rents, someone else's property. In an apartment or rental home, you can't paint the walls without written permission from the landlord, the actual owner of the property, because it's not your property. That makes sense to me. Handing yourself and property you own to the same kinds of rules enforced by your neighbors acting as if they own your property, not so much.

I do know that there are people for whom HOA's are great, and I'm more than happy to help them find a home in one. However, I personally wouldn't live in one except under severe duress, unless I was renting, in which case I'd expect those kinds of rules because I'd be living in someone else's property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.