Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Thanks, very nice from the outside... I can understand why some one wants to live there who can afford it and is not hidding because of people going after them....It should be a house to really enjoy....maybe there is a more decend and honest way to live there without hurting other people finacially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
x

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
I will sleep nicely in my 5 bedroom, 550 sq ft home. Thanks for your concern.
It does look bigger than 550 Sqft.... maybe the back of the house has fallen off.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
WOW...that's all I can say...
"Move and Be Happy"

How's that for a slogo?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM

315 posts, read 349,730 times
Who am I hurting? The bank? they get my old house, the sell it and all is well. Get over it. And to the jerk calling it an armpit, did you see my new home? how do you like them apples? I wont even sahre what i paid because then you will be extremely pissed off. Lets just say you can even get a 3 bedroom shack in the luxurious parts of LA such as Watts and East LA and Hollywood for that matter. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bottom Rider View Post
I will sleep nicely in my 5 bedroom, 550 sq ft home. Thanks for your concern.
Are the rooms 7x7 each, or do you sleep standing up?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
[quote=goodbyehollywood;4727749]

Garnish their wages until their debt is repaid. /quote]

I like the sound of this.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
I actually live in the so called "arm pit" called the IE. It's actually a pretty nice place to live and raise a family. I think a lot of people have already done the "switch and bail" technique and I think the lenders have already started to wise up on this practice.

Yes, it'll hurt future buyers by raising interest rates, bankrupt some banks, and increase regulations making it harder for future home buyers. But, that has already been happening in the area with the increased regulations stemming from foreclosures and the Fed.

What I'm curious about is whether the risks/losses actually merit the rewards. Since in essence your still purchasing in a "declining" market, then your new house will still decline in value from the price you purchased now. How much was transaction costs, closing costs, moving costs, new interest rate? and are all these costs still less than the 100k? 200k? saved? Is your monthly drastically less? If you were able to secure a renter... why not just keep the place and and just rent it off? Rent off some of the extra rooms at your new place...etc. to cover any differences so that you can still keep your old place? After all, at least then you can still recover some "equity" if/when you sell the old place in the future.

I don't know too much about how credit works, but I thought it was something built up over years... and something that can be lost easily. Credit provides flexibility for the future... is that something worth all the risks?

I'm not criticizing you, but just curious if all these different costs and options were considered when making your decision. Best of luck in your new place

-chuck22b

Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
"Move and Be Happy"

How's that for a slogo?
You trademark that one and I'll do "Be Happy and Move."

Back to the OP...

Because the bank is an institution rather than your cousin Bob, it is easy to depersonalize. I think it is selfish and narrowminded to think that just walkaway has only consequences for the bank. Banks are folding, people are losing jobs for starters. Banks are raising interest rates on credit cards in order to offset the loses, so the person that has to charge their food and gas because their son needed emergency surgery is getting hammered because of people just walking away. This is personal.

This behavior impacts us all. You can rationalize it anyway you want, but the banks will MAKE UP the losses on the backs of other consumers. So...are you okay that your mother, sister, brother, cousin will be paying more interest because of your behavior?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM

315 posts, read 349,730 times
Chuck22b-

They fell for my bait. I just was conducting a little experiment to see what the feeling was on the buy and bail currently catching speed out there. Also I was bothered that so many of you (besided crazymama) chastised and stoned this guy for considering it?

For the record, i dont agree with the OP is doing SINCE he can afford it. But if you are one who messed up, realize you cant afford it and it is hindering you financially and still need to eat..walking away might be the best decision.

To be honest though: the though has crossed my mind, buy and bail. The Inland Empire is getting slammed hard. Chuck knows. I think most (not all) has thought about it but wont act on it.

To boot can you believe they even bashed our beautiful area Chuck? Same on MissHollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate