Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,268 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with virtual tour software? I'm looking for recommendations/reviews. It doesn't matter if it is flash, java, or quicktime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I bought Pixaround software for $500. It's a little bit clunky and the documentation sucks, but I've done 30 or 40 VT's with it and I'm getting better at it. I like it better for view land where I can do a 360 degree without distortion, it does tend to distort slightly in smaller homes.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
I can't say I've been all that impressed with the "virtual tours" that I've seen from, say, Realtor.com listings. I like the idea, but most of the time they just end up being tours of individual rooms with the camera panning around the rooms. What photos can't tell you and what a real "tour" could tell you is what the layout of the property looks like--I want to watch the camera walk around the property and go up and down the stairs, etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,584 times
I use visualtour.com, they supply the software, distribute the tours you create (you need to add links to your MLS listing) The costs are reasonable $299 initial and $39 monthly with unlimited tours. There's no charge for distribution to Realtor.com if you already pay for enhanced listings.
You will also have a weekly report of how many time your tours are seen and the source.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
As a buyer I seldom, if ever, look at virtual tours. I much prefer lots of good quality pictures. Maybe that's just me though.

Our last realtor was absolutely sold on them and had apparently researched lots of different options. She went with Tour Factory.

I thought ours turned out pretty well... at least it made me less dizzy to watch than others I've seen.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
As a buyer I seldom, if ever, look at virtual tours. I much prefer lots of good quality pictures. Maybe that's just me though.

Our last realtor was absolutely sold on them and had apparently researched lots of different options. She went with Tour Factory.

I thought ours turned out pretty well... at least it made me less dizzy to watch than others I've seen.
Not just you. I also get dizzy when I try to watch those things. I would much rather see lots of pics taken in good lighting. Pics of the room, not just the furniture.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post

I can track where my virtual tours get looked at, and the MLS and my property websites are the highest sources. Realtor.com is one of the worst for links to my virtual tours. I think with so many photos there, people don't feel the need to take that extra step.

I do have to say that when I compare the amount of views compared to how many buyers actually look at a virtual tour it is a much smaller percentage than I would think. For one of my property websites there were 589 views on it, and only 20 clicks on the virtual tour. The ratio is even worse for Realtor.com and other sites.

I'm debating about phasing them out, and as soon as I can take video without being jerky will use that instead.

You may want to consider buying a flip camera and heading down the path of video instead of doing v-tours.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I can track where my virtual tours get looked at, and the MLS and my property websites are the highest sources. Realtor.com is one of the worst for links to my virtual tours. I think with so many photos there, people don't feel the need to take that extra step.

I do have to say that when I compare the amount of views compared to how many buyers actually look at a virtual tour it is a much smaller percentage than I would think. For one of my property websites there were 589 views on it, and only 20 clicks on the virtual tour. The ratio is even worse for Realtor.com and other sites.

I'm debating about phasing them out, and as soon as I can take video without being jerky will use that instead.

You may want to consider buying a flip camera and heading down the path of video instead of doing v-tours.
I agree. Once you have put up so many pictures of the house and a ton of angles and views with VT what is the point in going to see the house? Pictures should leave you wanting to see more of the house because every possible angle was not included on the website. I also think some of the V. tours really distort room sizes and too many people give those tours more value that just going and seeing the home in person.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I agree. Once you have put up so many pictures of the house and a ton of angles and views with VT what is the point in going to see the house? Pictures should leave you wanting to see more of the house because every possible angle was not included on the website. I also think some of the V. tours really distort room sizes and too many people give those tours more value that just going and seeing the home in person.
I think the distortion is what consumer's don't like. It's not my favorite either so I get that. Even the best software has some. You can only do so much with pictures.

I think that no matter what an agent chooses they need to track it well to see if consumers like what you are offering. I've done v-tours for 5 years, and buyers are clearly not excited by them. The property websites with lots of photos are a much better use of my time. I still do the v-tours until I can get the video tour figured out.

It's a lot harder than you would think to get non-jerky video.

Last edited by Silverfall; 08-04-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: partial thought

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,799 times
As someone looking at homes, I much prefer pix over the video. Pix are much faster to go through, and I don't have to sit and watch the pan of the foyer, the living room etc etc. I can look at exactly what pix I want to (master bath, kitchen, yard) and then if that interests me, I can look at the foyer too.

What I do like in a video tho is after I've looked at the pix, and if the house REALLY interests me, then I can look at the video and get a better feel of the floorplan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate