Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times

Advertisements

I would be willing to spend a couple hundred for someone to come into my home and tell me what to do or what to change. However, what happens if you cannot even get anyone in the door? Even with great curb appeal, I cannot get anyone in the door. My realtor is going to have someone (professional) come and take new pictures so that is a plus. But my house is in a price range where there are not a lot of lookers in my area. So, I don't want to waste my money.

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I would be willing to spend a couple hundred for someone to come into my home and tell me what to do or what to change. However, what happens if you cannot even get anyone in the door? Even with great curb appeal, I cannot get anyone in the door. My realtor is going to have someone (professional) come and take new pictures so that is a plus. But my house is in a price range where there are not a lot of lookers in my area. So, I don't want to waste my money.

Kristine
Kristine,

It may be that staging and an artful eye will enhance the photos, and thay may bring you traffic.
Notice the "if's." Just thinking out loud...

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Kristine-Mike is so right.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
A friend had two showings in 1 year, the second showing bought the house.
My point is that in a bad market with a ton of inventory buyers are selective. When you do have a showing you want to show better than your completion.
I've heard anecdotal stories about people not only purchased staged homes but wanted all the furnishings included!
Your in a business competing for a limited number of buyers. The winners are those that have the best product at the most reasonable price.

Look at your house with buyer's eyes. If it's not showing like a model home then staging may be called for.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
A friend had two showings in 1 year, the second showing bought the house.
My point is that in a bad market with a ton of inventory buyers are selective. When you do have a showing you want to show better than your completion.
I've heard anecdotal stories about people not only purchased staged homes but wanted all the furnishings included!
Your in a business competing for a limited number of buyers. The winners are those that have the best product at the most reasonable price.

Look at your house with buyer's eyes. If it's not showing like a model home then staging may be called for.
Uncommon, common sense, Bob.

One of the most challenging things for an owner is to come to terms with their home being a product that has to be sold. The product has to compete with other products and the ones that represent the best value
( not always the cheapest) wins the "Sold Sign".

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
What we as sellers have to realize is once we list our homes, they are no longer ours.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,162 times
it is very frustrating to not have people come at all. i thought for sure i would get tons of showings or sell right away,, now im picking the crap out of the house.. wondering why its not getting showings.. not as bad as 2 in a year but 4 since april... the first two didnt count..werent even ready to buy. i always thought my house was nice but there is to much i would like to do... i dont have any money.... i need as much as i can get to relocate to another state.. moving is expensive. and a little reserve to get settled. find jobs. scary.. now i m starting to think i should just take what i can get and run!! i lowered my price 35,000 so far.. nothing. im down below my comps.. just a bad time. i dont have huge curb apeal but a georgeous area..my downfall i think, my house is a raised ranch.. not a choice of most.. i hope im not stuck.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
I think you have to be honest about the houses weaknesses, and then take whatever money you can afford and try and jazz it up a bit. A can of paint and a brush is not too expensive and can make a huge impact. If you think your house does not have a lot of curb appeal, which is important in catching the eye of the person just driving by for a quick look before they call their realtor for an appt, then maybe a trip to the garden dept of the Target or Walmart nearby for some quick color. I know that I did quite well at Home Goods for little knick knacks to place around, and honestly I got a few fun things at estate sales.

I think one important thing is not to loose heart. It sounds like you are overwhelmed, and that's a bad spot to be in. Take a breath, then take an honest look around your house. Do you have a budget? Maybe take a look at some magazines and attempt to get an idea of what is popular now.

You may also need to take a look at your realtor. How hard is she or he working to get your house "out there"? How is your advertising? Have you had any open house? What is the feed back you have gotten and how can you make it work for you. Your realtor should be offering you support and insight on this - remember, they make money when your house sells, so they need to be getting people in.

Good luck...

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
I don't believe that I am in need of staging, BUT....

I live in central New Jersey, (one of the area of the country identified as being the least effected by the down turn).

I listed my home over three weeks ago.

To date one, single, solitary, lone person has even looked at my house, Let alone make an offer.

If my reporting is true, who still has a decent market let.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate