U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM

959 posts, read 1,721,715 times

Advertisements

If we are willing to pay the closing costs for any buyer, should we list that in the description of the house? Can you even do that? I want to have an edge and am more than happy to pay closing costs so I would think if a buyer saw that it would make them at least come take a look at the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM

6,958 posts, read 20,772,434 times
It's legal in CA. We often use the phrase non-recurring closing costs.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,626,364 times
I'm torn between advertising it or using it as a bargaining tool. For example, if the buyer makes a low offer, how low are you willing to go and still pay for closing costs? Or would it be seller is willing to pay closing costs with a full price offer?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 PM

959 posts, read 1,721,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I'm torn between advertising it or using it as a bargaining tool. For example, if the buyer makes a low offer, how low are you willing to go and still pay for closing costs? Or would it be seller is willing to pay closing costs with a full price offer?

It depends on how low the offer was. If it is less than what I would take now, then I would say no. But I have a pretty big amount that I will go down. My house is listed at $425,000 but we would take $380,000 for it if we had to. Anything under that will probably not happen. So if they offered $380,000, I would probably still pay the closing costs. Does that make sense? I have a HUGE headache so forgive me if I am rambling.

Kristine

Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,737,285 times
You could always say, 'seller may contribute towards closing cost'. But not say a specific amount and that's where your bargaining can come into play. They know you can, but not how much...
maybe

Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 PM

35 posts, read 121,230 times
Definitely! Those are the houses I look at FIRST.. The houses that states seller pays XX amount towards home warranty & don't mention closing. I left with the impression the seller is NOT willing to pay closing & those houses we look at last.

Also houses that state carpet allowance with full asking price. I left with the impression this seller is NOT willing to lower the price that much & won't pay the closing. If a seller list anything with full asking price its automatically turn off for me as a buyer

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,626,364 times
Yes, I would agree not to be specific. If someone offers you say $375,000 and you want to take it, they will ask about their closing costs, because you said you would pay them. "May" pay or "willing to negotiate" closings costs gives you an out.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,034 times
I would like to know a ball park figure on the closing costs on property that is selling for $30,000.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,943,167 times
I have always used the phrase "Seller to pay buyers closing costs negotiable". Depending upon the type of financing obtained (VA/FHA/Conventional) there may be some buyers costs prohibited from the seller cost statement. The work around then is to provide a "repair allowance" at closing that will be similar to the cost the buyer is required to pay out of their pocket.

This opens the door in the buyers mind that they can get into the property with little or no out of pocket, but keeps them aware that you must have a minimum sales price to have those funds available to pay the costs at closing.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,943,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimam View Post
I would like to know a ball park figure on the closing costs on property that is selling for $30,000.
You can search online for VA/FHA closing cost estimates and get a figure that might stay in a very large ballpark. There are so many lender influenced fees that it is very difficult to get that figure without a specific lender/closing company input. The government loans will have some guidelines for min/maximums for many of the fees, but there are some that are totally at the discretion of the lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate