Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:34 PM

35 posts, read 127,873 times

Advertisements

It's unethical in my opinion. Once the buyer steps on the grass I think they'll notice the grass has been dyed. Any buyer in their RIGHT mind would NOT walk but RUN away from a house like that. If the owner went to that extent to cover up grass it leads one to believe they will NOT disclose problems they are aware of in the disclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,164,765 times
UNethical???? ROTFL How about stupid
How vain can people get!

Next thing, THEY will be saying remove the toilets in your house when you put it on the market, 'cause heaven forbid anyone think you actually use'em!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Depending on where you are located, if you saw a yard like this that has not been watered you should be concerned about foundation movement & problems.

In TX, many areas with high clay content soils have to maintain a minimum watering program or our soils shrink & expand and this causes our slab foundations to shift. It's usually a red flag here to see a yard that has been neglected.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,004,896 times
I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this. When I was watching the program, the stager had some very good ideas. She suggested the Homeowner finish painting the stairwell (it was only done up as high as the Homeowner could reach), clean the fireplace bricks (totally soot-covered) and replace torn, raggedy window shades (Homeowner actually giggled, explaining "...but they came with the house!" ).

Those sorts of quick fix cosmetic changes are great, in my opinion. They are inexpensive, easy to do and can make a world of difference in the vibe given off by the house. I suppose one could argue that spray-painting the grass is cosmetic too, but to me, it felt sleazy. As a buyer, I think I might have one of two reactions. I might be insulted (How gullible to they think I am? More importantly, how many other things have been slap-dash "fixed" in here?). Or, I might be amused (Are they serious? Painted on grass???). I guess it would depend on my mood and how much they were asking .

Interestingly enough, the Homeowner had a follow-up Open a day or two after the spraying. One of the Real Estate agents who'd seen the Before lawn commented, "Oooo what'd they do to the lawn? It looks great!"

Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,189,356 times
I would wonder about what else was covered up in the house.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM

15,513 posts, read 40,244,030 times
I just did a listing presentation on a house with a brown lawn. Only the weeds are green. Told them to pull anything green out first and start watering. They won't be listing for 30 days or so anyway. Plenty of time to get it green.

It's not like people just wake-up in the morning and say "I'm going to list today."

I would not want my seller to do that since I think it sets a tone for misrepresentation. I prefer openness in my transactions and complete transparency on the house.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM

152 posts, read 468,402 times
That is great!! My husband and I always joke about spraying the areas the dogs kill green. I didn't realize they actually made paint for it. Too funny.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,160 times
As a long-time professional home stager, I would never do such a thing. Like one post said... "In my opinion dying grass would be unethical if the condition was not disclosed. I also think that disclosing that the lawn was dyed would negatively affect the potential buyers view of the property. If the owner attempted to cover-up the lawns condition what else is being covered up." Perfect point - what else is being concealed? If a stager truly is a professional, they would know that this becomes a disclosure issue and I would not hire them. Interesting post.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM

315 posts, read 348,019 times
There was an article in Temecula California where neighbors were concerned about the image of their street so they spray painted the foreclosure grass green. Yikes.

There is also a company out here that offers the service. Talk about profiting off of the housing crash.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM

573 posts, read 1,685,915 times
I saw this staging show, and if I remember correctly, the homeowner was concerned that the spray would actually do more damage to the grass. The woman applying the paint stated that it actually helps the grass. If it "covered" the problem, but still was actually helping the grass to grow, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate