Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with scone on this one.
Awwwww... I'm feeling the love! {{{{{ Silverfall }}}}

P.S. To OP: it seems to me, if this were a "normal" recession and a "normal" market correction, it would be a bit easier to get a feeling for the market stabilization point. But in this market, it seems to me, all bets are off. If we are looking at a once-in-a-hundred-years historic shift, there's really no way of knowing what can happen, because we have never been here before. So if this thing turns out to be say, bigger than the Great Depression, who knows where the bottom will be? I don't think anyone can say. I'm not even sure we have the math available to do a good risk analysis. And that scares me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Good comments from scone and silverfall. All the generic advice in the world doesn't matter as much as YOUR situation and local market conditions. We can talk about historical trends and items, but if you are in an area with high foreclosures and home prices that are still relatively unaffordable then it will affect your outcome.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:12 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
You have 3 dogs, if the rent equals the mortgage, I would buy. It can be REALLY difficult finding places to take 3 dogs.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You have 3 dogs, if the rent equals the mortgage, I would buy. It can be REALLY difficult finding places to take 3 dogs.
Yeah ... I know. It took us FOREVER to find this rental.

At one point when we were really desperate ... my husband joked that we should stand out on a street corner with signs that said:

Help! Homeless Pet Owners ...

Good Jobs, Good Credit

Last edited by sheri257; 08-16-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Sounds tempting... but I'm not sure if it's worth buying or not...

I think it'll depend on what you see the growth potential is of your area. If you think more people are moving into the area, and that there is economic and population growth in the duration/future that you'll be living there... than short term dips should be fine. It's where you see your city/neighborhood going when you "think" you'll sell that is most important.

If rents = PITI now, and you see things growing in the future... than I think it'll be alright to buy. Otherwise, even if rents = PITI now, and the town turns into a ghost town... then... you know what happens...

I don't know too much about the central valleys.. except that it's very agrarian.... and since the US should theoretically provide more food to the world as the world grows... then farmers should make more money in the future?? Also, supposively grocers such as Walmart are now insourcing (buying produce from within the State instead of purchasing abroad)... would that make agrarian areas more rich??

-chuck22b

Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Awwwww... I'm feeling the love! {{{{{ Silverfall }}}}

P.S. To OP: it seems to me, if this were a "normal" recession and a "normal" market correction, it would be a bit easier to get a feeling for the market stabilization point. But in this market, it seems to me, all bets are off. If we are looking at a once-in-a-hundred-years historic shift, there's really no way of knowing what can happen, because we have never been here before. So if this thing turns out to be say, bigger than the Great Depression, who knows where the bottom will be? I don't think anyone can say. I'm not even sure we have the math available to do a good risk analysis. And that scares me.
We always have the math :P... and most ecnomists... even the most dire ones say we won't go into a depression. Most bubble and bottom predictors also agree that it's easier to predict a bottom than a top because a boom involves a lot of speculative and emotional things... while a bottom... is basically based on affordability.

"Trying to predict peak prices during a mania is like predicting the future behavior of an insane person... In a way, we are metaphorically returning to a natural state of things".

Predicting the Housing Future: Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Using the Case-Shiller Index to Find a Bottom. | money blog (http://www.inmoneytoday.com/2008/06/22/predicting-the-housing-future-los-angeles-and-orange-counties-using-the-case-shiller-index-to-find-a-bottom/ - broken link)

So, once affordability is in reach.. we'd reach a bottom. Thousands of ecnomists are monitoring affordability as we speak

-chuck22b

Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Ok ... we've all heard the advice. Wait for prices to drop since they will drop further. Here's my question ...

If you can get a property that you like for the same amount of rent you're paying now ... is that the time to buy?

Here's my situation: market rent for houses in my area is about $1500, give or take. Long story short, we ended up paying $1800 for a larger house because this was the only landlord we could convince to take our three dogs. And, we didn't mind paying more since this landlord was willing to give us month to month flexibility on our lease without a one year commitment which, of course, we liked because we do want to buy eventually.

A foreclosure is coming on the market that we like. We're thinking about offering $220K for it ... even though recent comps in that same price range are for smaller properties. They may ask as much as $300K for this one.

We're willing to walk away since anything more than $220K would exceed what we're paying in rent now. However, if by chance they accept the offer ... are we making a mistake? Could prices drop further? At what point do you buy?
I would say if your PITI+HOA+maintainence = rent for an equivalent property then it is definitely a good time to buy

I would buy even if the PITI+HOA+Maintainence is upto 10% higher. Right now here in South OC it is 100% higher.

Watch out for foreclosures though, if you can't inspect it then who knows what damages you may find later. It may become your worst nightmare. For this risk make sure you get a HUGE discount, something like 20% for risk + 20% for potential damages.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
Quote:
Your method is a good start, but there are other things to consider. Obviously, the value of the mortgage deduction, the chance that you might have to move before you hit "break-even," and, as you say, the chance that prices will fall further. IIWY I'd want to know how far prices have already fallen, and whether they are starting to stabilize. For myself I wouldn't want to buy in an area with massive numbers of foreclosures, abandoned properties, etc. Prices might be very low indeed in an area like that, but the neighborhood could go downhill fast.
The mortgage deduction would be about $2K a year (above and beyond the standard deduction). Not much but it would probably help us itemize other deductions. However, maintenance costs would probably wipe that out so ... it would be a wash.

Prices in this area have fallen anywhere from 40-60 percent. We're already renting in this neighborhood so we have a pretty good feel for the place. It definitely has it's share of foreclosures but it's not massive ... it still looks pretty good. Lots of law enforcement lives here so I'm not worried about crime and the neighborhood going downhill ... which is one of the reasons I like this area so much.

I track notices of default (NOD's) but it's been hard to predict what's going to happen to some of these properties beyond the ones that have already been abandoned. For example, there was an NOD on the place I'm renting now but I was able to confirm that the landlord renegotiated the loan. Some houses have NOD's but look really nice so ... maybe those owners will negotiate deals as well.

Basically your guess is as good as mine on where the market is headed.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
Default Dr. Doom and EOTWAWKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
.... and most ecnomists... even the most dire ones say we won't go into a depression....
So, once affordability is in reach.. we'd reach a bottom. Thousands of ecnomists are monitoring affordability as we speak

-chuck22b
Are these the same economists who failed to predict the pickle we're in now? I really do --honestly, no snark-- want to be reassured, but I can't be. Go over to the NYT profile on Roubini, esp., the part about consensus behavior of economists.... they make the koolaid, they drank it, they're still drinking it. So... I want to feel good, but not if I have to do the drug, see.

OTOH, maybe I'm just picking the wrong risk. if I choose the Matrix, I get to eat steak.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Are these the same economists who failed to predict the pickle we're in now? Actually, no, they're the ones that predicted we were going to get into this pickle I really do --honestly, no snark-- want to be reassured, but I can't be. Go over to the NYT profile on Roubini, esp., the part about consensus behavior of economists.... they make the koolaid, they drank it, they're still drinking it. So... I want to feel good, but not if I have to do the drug, see.

OTOH, maybe I'm just picking the wrong risk. if I choose the Matrix, I get to eat steak.
My theory is that once affordability is reached, that it'll be difficult to go way bellow affodabiliy levels in Good areas. This is because if there are profits to be made (since things are so affordable), investors would jump in to prop prices back up.

I emphasize good areas because in bad areas or places way out in the boonies... there is less potential growth therefore more risk.

So... that is why I think when affordability is reached in good areas (areas that have potential future growth)... it'll be difficult for place to go way bellow affordability levels. It'd be nice if prices can go super low... but investors tend to hawk anything/anywhere that has better than average returns.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate