Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 PM

22 posts, read 56,602 times

Advertisements

It's been about 2 weeks since a certain buyer first looked at our house. They have since seen it 2 or 3 more times. The last time was Monday and they brought a friend who is in construction to give them an opinion about a cracked seam and nail pops they found in the drywall (house is 2 yrs old).

My Realtor just told me that she talked to their Realtor to get an update on what the friend said and to see what they were thinking. The buyers Realtor said that they still really loved the house but were still thinking about it. She hoped they'd decide by the weekend as they are going on vacation next week. And she said if they offered it most likely wouldn't be full price. She didn't mention anything about drywall issues or other concerns they may have discovered. My Realtor thinks they are being slow as a negotiating tactic. Do you think they are just trying to wear us down and see how low we might go/how desperate we are if they do give us an offer?

We have been listed for almost 90 days and this is the most attention that a buyer has given our house so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
What's the buyer's motivation for buying, now?

Maybe they have a house to sell and do not want to be in the position of owning two homes or making an offer contingent on the sale of their home.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Jen, most buyers are just taking their time right now. they feel that the homes available does not mean they have to rush their decision. If they miss out on your house, there are plenty more. I know that drives you crazy, but true. If you are really wanting to make a deal, offer them something and see if you can get them to make the offer. Otherwise, let it go and see what happens.... I know not what you want to hear....

Shelly

Old 08-21-2008, 06:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times
One thing I have learned is you can NEVER really tell what the buyer'rs story is no matter how many times they've come to see your home or what the realtor says. I have seen buyers say almost anything to make you think they want your house and then you never hear from them again. I just don't think these buyers are ready to make an offer yet, if at all. I think if they were trying to wear you down, the realtor would have been more specific, saying something like they liked your house and two others, or they're concerned about your price, etc.

If you are willing to entertain an offer, no matter how low it might be....tell your realtor to tell their realtor that you will look at all offers so they can feel comfortable not offering full price. If you get an offer on the table, then you can decide if you want to try and negotiate it.

Sending you good vibes that you find a buyer VERY soon.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM

202 posts, read 704,455 times
I wouldn't read "tactics" into the buyers taking their time. The market was different in 2001 but when we found the house we loved we got busy finding a buyer for our house first before making a serious offer on this other house. It only took 3 weeks back then, but I'm sure for the sellers, who knew we were interested, it was a long 3 weeks. I imagine it would take us much longer if we did the same thing in today's market. You just never know what is going on in a buyer's life.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
It's not like it was a few years ago where if a buyer didn't act the property would be gone from underneath them. Properties are on the market longer, much longer and there's more of them. There's not a "rush" to buy that home. If anything buyers are more hesitant and fear that the value may decrease as soon as they buy it..quite the opposite of a few years ago. And it's also very hard to determine just what the "right and fair" price is in today's RE market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate