Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: housing, mortgage, interest, market, buyer, seller, loan.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

Emily,

Zillow is for the uneducated buyer. I don't recommend using it to estimate home values. Do your own research and come up with your own comps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Zillow is a joke...

You'd fare better by picking a number out of the sky.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Zillow's algorithm isn't that bad, it just has limitations. Zillow works decently in fairly large areas when the house is fairly standard. But if here aren't many comps or if the house is unique in some way its harder for Zillow to create a reasonable estimate. Around here, Zillow's Zestimates have been on the mark by about +/- 5%.

Zillow's algorithm will get better though, perhaps soon we won't need appraisals.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Zillow's algorithm isn't that bad, it just has limitations. Zillow works decently in fairly large areas when the house is fairly standard. But if here aren't many comps or if the house is unique in some way its harder for Zillow to create a reasonable estimate. Around here, Zillow's Zestimates have been on the mark by about +/- 5%.

Zillow's algorithm will get better though, perhaps soon we won't need appraisals.
As soon as zillow can see the actual condition of a house, they're still going to be out in left field. Agreed however that they can do a reasonable job in the more densely populated areas.

According to them I've "lost" 12 % of the value of my home in the past 30 days! We had a property that sold that was a real trashpile, literally for the value of the land it was on last month. I think the buyer is waiting for the end of fire season to burn it down

I find Zillow entertaining

Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I exchanged a series of emails yesterday with a confused co-worker.

She has a listing on Zillow, entered in the form of a flyer.
Zillow allows ANYONE to attach photos to the listing, and someone had taken a crooked and out of focus cameraphone shot of a house across the street and posted it on the listing.

Zillow's disclaimer says that since it is a "community site" anyone can post photos. They can be flagged if a viewer thinks they are inappropriate, but there is no guarantee that they will remove something as damaging as a wrong house shot with a telephone.
Even with all the abundant scammers, Craigslist is not that stupid.

I told my colleague that Zillow is an advertising company, using bad-to-negligent-to-unethical real estate work as a platform.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,256 times
This is just amazing to me. The OP is from North Houston and believes prices are on the way down. Other than a few areas in Houston we are flat or appreciating. Next in Houston you can still purchase for less than you can rent the same home for until you cross the 210K range.

Next foreclosures in the state of Texas are down 18% in August according to realtytrac.com. And if you check Houston housing inventory for August it is down by almost 3% on single family homes. Rents are up by nearly 11% since the begining of the year and our total sales are still at 2005 levels which were records for Houston, Texas at the time. At the end of June the Houston metro area had added 56,000 new jobs for 2008 and the average wage was up again.

Now with this said Houston has been affected by the credit market troubles and residents are finding their budgets pinched due to higher living costs. But for 50% of the homes on the market you can purchase for less than you can rent the same place for. Sounds to me like the Houston market will be just fine.

Now for other areas of the country rents are not declining with prices and soon things will be back in line. Most of this country was living in an asset bubble and now things are comming back into line. It happened with stocks in the late 90's with real estate now and soon will carry over to comodities. If you are smart you will not put your money into commodities as China has stopped buying and therefore most sets of raw materials are near their peak. If you look at markets over time you will notice that this cycle of bubbles repeats itself. This round has been more extreme but the same play book.

It will be tough for Americans over the next few years as it was difficult in the late 70's and early 80's but as long as the bond insurers stay solvent we will not see a depression. If you really want to watch what matters pay attention to the solvency of the bond insurers they are the wild card in all of this mess.

Last edited by Jamesww; 09-14-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Government will bail them out. They already put in a backstop for AIG. I have no doubt the 700 billion dollar bail out will pass and turn in even a greater loss as the housing market continues to flounder. We will have a lost decade like Japan at the very best, and worst case, we'll hyperinflate. The cost of living and interest rates will rise due to the expansion of fiat debt money. Home prices fell at a record pace in July and will continue to do so. Hunker down. The only real estate with buying is rural ranch/farm type stuff. That way you can take advantage of all that money the government is printing as commodities continue to sky rocket. Plus if we have a complete collapse, land ownership will keep you and your family alive if you have the firearms to support your private property rights.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The bond insurers got bailed out a few months ago..MBIA and AMBAC if that's who you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate