Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

The reason people are "nit picking" is because the OP expressed frustration at lack of showings, and they are trying to point out reasons that may be occuring.

People are just trying to be helpful. Good marketing matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
And don't let the nitpicking advise get you down. It's incredible how everyone thinks a house should be like a "brand spankin new" one, no matter WHAT the price range.
I hope my post wasn't considered "nitpicking" because that wasn't what I was trying to do. I've been there and done that and anything I wrote had nothing but good intentions. Perhaps I could have added positives but by the time I did research and typed the post out, I was already sitting here for an hour (maybe longer - just on this post) and needed to go start my day.

I was on the market for 9 long months with not much traffic. I'd gotten feedback on my pictures but I didn't listen. I had what some would say was a lot of floral although I'd taken a good 80% of it out. I left a few pieces in each room, still got bad reviews. I got a lot more action once I made things a little more neutral.

I wasted 3 months by having a non local agent.
We wasted a lot of time due to the wrong price
We didn't have pro pics or a tour
I had a few crummy pics on realtor.com that couldn't be deleted for some reason

I go to other real estate forums and I will tell you, people are not only looking at the house, it is the whole package. Keep in mind you have to stage according to your market.

The OP has a beautiful house. IMO the errors with the photos, price being different on the tour vs listing, spelling errors hurt her as does the main photo. If anything I would insist that get changed out asap. Is the agent that busy that they can't make time to get the listing fixed?

Sorry, but in a declining market time is money We started at $240k, ended up selling for $207. Had I double checked everything better we may not have been on as long and not lost so much money

Realtor.com search $350-$450 4 bedrooms 2 baths, 2500 sq ft

Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
What a lovely home!!! Really sharp.

I think the problem is you need a buyer that makes 133,333 per year to afford it. I think now that the lenders are not giving mortgages away without a second thought, this is where the problem is.
People just can't afford homes like this anymore without the toxic financing.
I have to say for a young couple, you have done very well or did you get creative financing for this home?
I really love it though, I hope someone walks up that can afford it and has the down payment, excellent credit, no contingencies etc...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
What a lovely home!!! Really sharp.

I think the problem is you need a buyer that makes 133,333 per year to afford it. I think now that the lenders are not giving mortgages away without a second thought, this is where the problem is.
People just can't afford homes like this anymore without the toxic financing.
I have to say for a young couple, you have done very well or did you get creative financing for this home?
I really love it though, I hope someone walks up that can afford it and has the down payment, excellent credit, no contingencies etc...
I am curious, why do you assume they are a young couple?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I'm sorry, I'm scratching my head at these recent posts about being upset because of no/slow showings after 3 weeks or one month.
Try being on the market for well over a year and having maybe 15 showings. Before anyone says it, it's not the price persay, it's that there's a glut of houses in a pretty big price range and a lack of buyers because they can't sell their houses.
Unless you're willing to sell at fire sale prices and probably take a loss it's a tough market to be in and will take some time to right itself so be patient. Remember, there's a lot of people out there that are "waiting for the market to finish crashing" whatever that means so they can get the absolute rock bottom price. Eventually (maybe after interest rates rise more) they'll realize it's a waste of time to try and time the market that close and start buying.
Either way selling now is not for the faint of heart or for one who's in a hurry unless you want to just get out no matter what the cost to you...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I am curious, why do you assume they are a young couple?
NOT an assumtion,

"We are selling because we want to move to a better school district. My son starts Kindergarten next fall so I wanted to be settled in a new house before he starts.".

ALSO:

Climbing gym in backyard and nursery in photos.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
Just passing through (having trouble selling our place too) and this is a bit off topic, but the "young couple" part was funny. We have a 4 year old and 11 month old. My husband is about to turn 48, I am 38, and we have been married 16.5 years. It's been a long time since I thought of ourselves as a young couple!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Kristine, you have a lovely home...it's hard to tell when we are not in your market or see your home in person. It's just a crappy market..hang in there, the right buyer will come along.

Roselvr, you always give such great advice. You are alway impartial and fair. You helped me SOOO much.. it's always worthwhile to listen to your kind advice...

Heading to bed...later

Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 PM

336 posts, read 864,150 times
Hang in there! People are picky about what they want. I read back to where someone mentioned something about school distrct. I had a couple love my home but hated the higschool that my home fed into. The highschool is one of the best in our district and and a very good school at that. So we lost that buyer! We have had decent flow of traffic through and hear our price is right just some people can't get financing for anything so there dream of home ownership goes down the drain. Just give it some time and the right person that is approved and ready to go will come in buy your home.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
NOT an assumtion,

"We are selling because we want to move to a better school district. My son starts Kindergarten next fall so I wanted to be settled in a new house before he starts.".

ALSO:

Climbing gym in backyard and nursery in photos.
That most certainly IS an assumption. Having a young child does not mean a couple is young. I have a 4.5 year old and I am SO NOT young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate