U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:19 PM

561 posts, read 1,413,598 times

Advertisements

What do you think made the sale happen? I'm looking for what you believe was the most important feature or facet that made your sale possible, i.e, realtor's hard work, specific home features, location, price...etc. What sold your home? And congratulations!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,268,099 times
We got offers in January, closed in March. Here's what helped.

1. ORIGINAL competitive listing price. (No price reductions necessary, bigger pool of interested buyers right out of the gate.)

2. Price.

3. Price.

4. Low inventory in our area.

5. Overpriced stale competition in our area.

6. As close to "perfect" as we could get it-- new exterior paint, new interior paint, re-tiled bathrooms (not contractor grade), new carpet in playroom, tuckpointed old chimney, repainted kitchen cabinets, new storm door, etc.

7. Staging (declutter and Feng Shui) and great photography.

8. LOCAL NEIGHBORHOOD Realtor with an excellent sales record.

9. It was an awesome Victorian house in a historic neighborhood near public transportation, not a cookie-cutter in a subdivision competing against 20 other cookie-cutters whose only differences were upgrades and finishes.

10. Dumb luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 47,018 times
We just got an offer to close on sept 5. Our house sold in 20 days. The realtor had nothing to do with it. All she did was put it on MLS and then get in the way after that. Price is the only thing that will sell your house now if you have a typical suburban house. We did have a 2 acre lot which I think helped, but we sold house for less than we just bought it for in March. Buyers want a picture perfect house at a give away price. Unless you are ready to take a loss and have to move, do not even attempt to sell in this market. Buyers are vicious along with their agents. I wish I could come up with a better system than the current realtor system. It seems unfair that sellers pay for the buyers agent, who is their to negotiate against you. Is there any other system where you pay for the person that will be negotiating against you?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM

222 posts, read 1,018,485 times
Our condo was in the best move-in condition. We were priced on the high side, but we did not need to move, so we actually pulled it off the market when we felt we were priced out. 2 weeks later, we got an offer from someone whose previous contract to buy had fallen though - we were the second choice, so I guess it was luck there! They wanted the upgrades only our condo offered (their first choice had been a townhouse).

Old 08-24-2008, 04:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,933,537 times
Our home was
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN
Priced below value (appraised at $330, listed for $299K)
The right Realtor

Old 08-24-2008, 05:13 PM

4,049 posts, read 7,774,456 times
My house sold in a week. I had a great realtor who helped me price it right. It also had a great view....

Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,083,939 times
Slashed the price. That's what moved the house.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM

575 posts, read 1,708,649 times
1. Price

2. location

3. Condition: upgraded, updated, staged, cleaned

Normally I'd say the right realtor makes a big difference, and that has been true for us in the past.
Not this time though.

Our house sold because the people who bought it were looking for something in our neighborhood; saw the sign the day it went up, made an appt, looked, and bought.

We listed mid June and closed the end of July.

In fact I had to call the realtors office and ask them to follow up with the people who had been through the house 3 times. They had no clue.

I definitely feel like the realtor made an easy buck on our sale and I'm thankful it was not a long drawn out process.
The persona we got after we signed the contract was NOT the same as we got when she was giving her sales pitch.
In fact I don't know that I'd even recognize the realtor we used if I saw her again, since the one and only time we met with her in person was when she gave her sales pitch!
We did pay a full 6% commission though.

Sorry, vent over.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:32 PM

10,559 posts, read 20,537,425 times
5 things affect the selling time and sales price. 60% are seller controlled, possibly 80% if you are a private seller.

1-Asking Price (seller controls)
2-Terms (seller)
3-Condition (seller)
4-Marketing (agent controls)
5-Location (buyer controls)

A seller darn sure better have a good price, attractive terms, and good condition to sell. If they don't offer good terms or condition, they'd better have an even more attractive price.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM

6,331 posts, read 17,006,339 times
Quote:
It seems unfair that sellers pay for the buyers agent, who is their to negotiate against you. Is there any other system where you pay for the person that will be negotiating against you?
Actually, you pay your listing agent only. You don't pay the buyer's agent. The buyer technically pays the buyer's agent, minus whatever co-broker commission your listing agent agrees to pay the buyer agent. Since virtually all listing agents offer to pay the full buyer agent commission, the buyer doesn't normally come out of pocket for any buyer agent commission.

True, all of the commission comes off of your side of the settlement statement, but technically, the buyer agent simply received a portion of the full amount you agreed to pay your listing agent.

As far as what sells a home, the previous posts are spot on.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate