Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 12:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,667 times

Advertisements

We live in Atlantic County in South NJ right now but my hubby's job necessitates that he move closer to either Cherry Hill or the Trenton area (two job locations from which to pick).

I have worn myself out to the point of physical illness (not to mention mental as well!) trying to find a property. I'm interested in single family but am zeroing in more on distressed places from pre-foreclosure thru REO.

I know I need a buyer's agent to help as we are not familiar at all with anything but Atlantic Co on south. But here's the problem--we called a supposed buyer's agent (no contract ever signed) who had a great ad, will go to any lengths to help etc. etc. It ended up with me doing all the looking, poring over so many websites until my eyes crossed, finding potential properties etc. etc. and having to depend on websites devoted to, say, REOs or foreclosure--some free, some not.

This buyer's agent did not bring ONE property to our attention. I would call her and say "I've found -----" and then she would set up an appt. and we would go see it. We did this twice until I got fed up with having to do all the work in finding a potential property. I am too physically ill to devote more then an hour or two a day looking for places. I thought that was what a buyer's agent was supposed to do! Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Also, it would be nice to find one that understood our emotional needs as well as the hard facts of a house. For instance, we need someone who loves animals as much as we do (include horses), because that person understands what these pets require, the best area etc. for them.

Also, we are nature lovers and don't need an agent who will show us properties in suburbia, where people often run into trouble just having pets. It seems I am having a hard time finding the right match.

I've had to be the one calling around zoning offices and such to find out, for instance, if a horse is allowed, minimum acreage etc. That is a job in itself!

Sorry if this post is rambling but we really do need to move ASAP for both job and health reasons. Areas of interest include most of Burlington, as well as Ocean and Monmouth Counties where there is some overlap near the Mercer County area.

Is there somewhere I can post for such a person? I'm on the verge of collapse just from pushing myself to do all the research and need a professional who can do this for me. And who can bring properties to my attention, not the other way around (of course, I would continue to look as well).

Help, please, we really need to move out of this dump and closer to the job locations that my hubby's agency has that will provide him with much more work then he is getting now.

Thanks so much and sorry if I sound like I am rambling.

P.S. We are pre-approved so we are ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Interview them and ask the right questions will help. Not foolproof but helps eliminate some of the posers and mediocre agents.

Google agent for hits. It shows you market presence.

Ask about training and continuing education courses they've taken.

How many they've closed this year.

How they decide what properties to show you.

How they get paid.

Do they have an assistant.

Tell me about your negotiating ability.

What kind of REO experience do you have.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
It is hard isn't it? Trying to find a good agent isn't easy.

One idea is to contact listing agents who have homes for sale in the area you are interested in, and ask if they know of any active and experienced buyer agents that are experienced and knowledgeable in the area.

The listing agent should be able to rattle off at least two or three recommendations for agents she has dealt with. Also, the listing agent might herself be a good candidate also, if she lists and sells a lot in the area. (Just don't use her if you become interested in her listing)

Call and do this with several listing agents and if you keep hearing the same buyer agent recommended, that's a good person to interview.

I personally would not hire a buyer's agent who doesn't close at least 6 or more buyer side transactions a year for the past 3 to 5 years in or near the area you want. Otherwise, they are simply too green, in my opinion. That doesn't mean a newbie can't do a good job, but all things being equal, I'd go with someone more experienced.

Good luck.

Steve

If an agent doesn't follow up, they should be dropped like a rock. The diligence they use in trying to connect with you and learn your needs is a reflection of how inspired they will be in executing your actual search and purchase effort.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:44 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Maybe you should go on activerain and search look for an agent in your area.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
You mentioned REO properties. Just curious, what do you plan to spend on a place?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
go to www.activerain.com. It is a blog site for real estate agents. Read some of the blogs for agents in the area you are looking in. You will be able to see if there is a good fit for you.

You can also google "real estate blogs your city" and see if other blogs come up. Many agents have blogs on WordPress or Blogger as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I PM'd you with the name of a great agent in Monmouth/Ocean counties. I don't know if he covers the other one. He would take good care of you.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM

474 posts, read 1,260,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You mentioned REO properties. Just curious, what do you plan to spend on a place?
Up to $200,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate