Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:29 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,033 times

Advertisements

just curious...
how often should i hear from my agent? usually the only time i hear is when ive had a showing, so for me thats 4 times in 5 mos and also if i call and leave a message. and we have had 2 open houses. so we were intouch there. i had a showing 2 weeks ago that was pretty positive. i havent heard anything either way. i dont want to keep calling, but should i? i know it wont change anything with my house not selling. i understand the market is just dead.
i just dont know if im being anal or should i expect to hear more often? we were advertised alot in the begining of the contract but now its almost up. i just am not sure of what the norm is for advertising etc....
someone set me straight please. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
You need to be upfront with your agent on often YOU want to hear from them. SOme people don't want to hear from them until the home has an offer on the table, some want weekly communication. When we fired our agent, the next agent was VERY aware that I wanted an update once or twice a week. It worked well b/c I told her my needs and she accomodated them.
If you want to know about advertising, then ask yur agent to let you know every week where the home is being marketed.
Good luck. I know how tough it is. It took our home 8 months to sell. We were with the first agent 3 months and the second got it done in 3 months. (then it took a month or so to close)
Hang in there. Just be honest with what you expect. If you are not sure about what you want, think about it and call and set up an appt with your agent to go over everything. (State of the Union, lol!)

Old 08-26-2008, 06:41 AM

38 posts, read 192,516 times
there is no rule with regards to meeting your client or your agent. Especially if you wanted to get update all the time. I don't think that you'll gonna have a problem with that.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,185 times
Selling a Home in this market it is to say the least challenging. Tension builds if the rapport between the Realtor and Seller is not good. I suppose one of the reasons a Realtor becomes less then enthused about reporting back to a seller is when the seller winds up chasing the market. Chasing the Market is when your home is always priced higher then market. As you reduce others reduce and as a result you never are in the hunt. I suggest you do some investigating on your own to see where your property is priced in the market attend some open houses to evaluate your home against the competition. Your Realtor has the ability to go into tax maps and determine every home in your street and area and determine exactly when it sold and how much it sold. This information is invaluable in determining the names of other Realtors who have sold in your area and their agency. You should request he determine these Realtors and send a personal letter advising of your property. (After all if they sold something in your area they may be working with clients who have already seen properties in your area) You should consider an immediate price reduction (Make your home fresh) and in return demand that he give you action. If he doesn't "Fire Him/Her". It seems Realtors Hibernate in August Maybe its Vacation or burn out -- If he/she is burned out get someone else who is fresh and do it now. One last thing how much red carpet and paneling is in your house and how's your landscaping on the outside -- if you can't get them out of the car you can't get them in the house.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM

ive been lowering the price of my home about every month since may. i defenately could do alot more to my home but, there is absolutly no more money to put into it.. we are upside down monthly. we are trying to do little things to finish. the landscaping is ok... i have a beautiful yard i think but not alot of expensive shrubs and such.. there is alot of potential for a buyer here. the views here are amazing. i have been looking right along to see the comps in my area. there really isnt much competition that i can see. ive been looking in the next town over too, my home is a raised ranch with 2 acres surrounded by state land. all the others i see have little land and are smaller. some have hardwood floors and fireplaces but mine has other great things. its so hard to tell. the ones i see that are smaller or have less land typically are 260ish.. and mine is at 285,000.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,336 times
I think it is in an agents best interest to communicate regularly with the property owner. We send email with links to internet marketing that we've done as we do it. We mail the cut sheets for the print ads to the sellers we're working with. My wife is tenacious about getting feed back following showings.
The problem is that in today's market many communications have associated bad news. There is a reason that the buyer did not choose the property, maybe the comps are showing that it's over priced.
Honest two way communication is needed to sell in this market.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
just curious...
how often should i hear from my agent? usually the only time i hear is when ive had a showing, so for me thats 4 times in 5 mos and also if i call and leave a message. and we have had 2 open houses. so we were intouch there. i had a showing 2 weeks ago that was pretty positive. i havent heard anything either way. i dont want to keep calling, but should i? i know it wont change anything with my house not selling. i understand the market is just dead.
i just dont know if im being anal or should i expect to hear more often? we were advertised alot in the begining of the contract but now its almost up. i just am not sure of what the norm is for advertising etc....
someone set me straight please. lol
Once a week. .. if not a phone call.. then an e-mail

When I was an gent I would e-mail hits on the internet with any feedback weekly. I also had a client login page on my website that allowed the homeowner to go to a special section on my site, login and view any and all activity on the house.. including phone calls, hits on the net, and feedback that I recieved from agents and individuals. They particularly loved that on Monday they could go in adn see how many people came to their open house.. and I would say "called and left message" next to their name if I did or what they had to say about the house like "was looking for a differnt floor plan or still looking and not sure".. etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM

i defenatly know i have alot i can do to make this house perfect but i just cant.. i would love hardwood floors, a rock wall with perenials, a new front step and walk. new bathroom, we just updated it for now but i have a decorators brain..lol.
we have done so much here already that makes this raised ranch very differnt from others. we just are at a stand still now. someone has to come and take over. if anyone is curious what it looks like dm me and ill give you the mls info

Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Once a week. .. if not a phone call.. then an e-mail

When I was an gent I would e-mail hits on the internet with any feedback weekly. I also had a client login page on my website that allowed the homeowner to go to a special section on my site, login and view any and all activity on the house.. including phone calls, hits on the net, and feedback that I recieved from agents and individuals. They particularly loved that on Monday they could go in adn see how many people came to their open house.. and I would say "called and left message" next to their name if I did or what they had to say about the house like "was looking for a differnt floor plan or still looking and not sure".. etc.
wow.... i havent had anything like that. i know my realator. and have used her in the past. she is only taking 5% commision too so i dont want to complain to much but i just wonder if theres anything i can do to get this house sold faster before winter. she doesnt think its the price. she did mention to me how many hits my house got but i cant see that on their site. i will ask her next time i talk to her if i can look at that on the site. thanx.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 AM

195 posts, read 538,476 times
To the orginal question, it is important you communicate to your agent what your needs are. I hear the lack of communication story a lot. I think it's very important for an agent to communicate with you, even if it's just to update you on stats in the area. Hang in there the right buyer is just around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate