Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Here, a bedroom has a closet (unless it's a much older house). However, the bedroom doesn't have to have a door.

The open master is an architectural design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Hate to dredge up old threads, but some here have advised to first search a topic and add to it, before posting a new thread. I'm not used to "necro-posting" This is a no-no on other sites I attend.

Anyway. I don't plan to sell my house any time soon, but when I bought it in 2002 it was as a 3 bedroom house. It was advertised that way, and the appraisal reflected a 3 BR house.

Then I heard from multiple sources that to be considered a "bedroom" a room must have a closet. People in this thread have added important info: one, that many historic homes don't have bedroom closets, and they are still accepted as bedrooms, and two, that the "rules" are local or state-by-state.

Our third bedroom is about 12X12, a corner room with two windows. It does not have a closet, but has a built-in cabinet/shelf system. The top section is open shelves, and the bottom section is cabinet doors with shelves inside. the home was built in the 1940's, so not "historic." We are in Bucks County PA. It could be used as a nursery, home office, or child's room (twin bed can fit nicely).

So if/when I decide to sell, will I have any problem listing it as a 3-bedroom?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
A bedroom should have walls and a door, a closet, and windows large enough to permit egress.

It bugs me when agents list homes according to the seller's definition. In other words, if the seller claims it's three bedrooms, then it is. I recently viewed a 3BR/2Ba home, where the 3rd. "bedroom" is a walled-off room in a corner of the basement that does not have egress, and the 2nd bathroom is part of the master bedroom with no walls (I mean the toilet, sink and bathtub all openly in the master bedroom). I encountered another house that was listed as a 1 1/2 bathroom home where the half bath was nowhere to be found. The listing agent explained that the water and drainage for the half bath are plumbed in and are located in the laundry room.
I can see that it's tempting to stretch a homes features when marketing it, but it's also frustrating to the the selling agents and the buyers when they waste their time looking at homes they think meet their search criteria and then disappoint by not qualifying. It also makes buyers suspicious about what else the sellers are not truthful about.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
MLS rules are local. Neither a window nor a closet is necessary to be considered a bedroom, in my area. Conversely, a room in a basement with a window, closet and door is not considered a bedroom but can be included in the room count.

Contact your local board of Realtors to determine the rule in your area. Here is a link to their website:

Bucks County Association of Realtors

Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Thanks. Like I said, no plans to sell now, but you never know.

I do know that here in Bucks County, basements, even completely finished basements and even "walk-out" basements are not calculated into the square footage of living space.
We walked away from a town house that had a fully-finished basement with walk-out doors to a ground-level patio, because the appraisal company valued it very low and would not calculate the approximately 750 square feet partly below ground level as living space.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hate to dredge up old threads, but some here have advised to first search a topic and add to it, before posting a new thread. I'm not used to "necro-posting" This is a no-no on other sites I attend.

Anyway. I don't plan to sell my house any time soon, but when I bought it in 2002 it was as a 3 bedroom house. It was advertised that way, and the appraisal reflected a 3 BR house.

Then I heard from multiple sources that to be considered a "bedroom" a room must have a closet. People in this thread have added important info: one, that many historic homes don't have bedroom closets, and they are still accepted as bedrooms, and two, that the "rules" are local or state-by-state.

Our third bedroom is about 12X12, a corner room with two windows. It does not have a closet, but has a built-in cabinet/shelf system. The top section is open shelves, and the bottom section is cabinet doors with shelves inside. the home was built in the 1940's, so not "historic." We are in Bucks County PA. It could be used as a nursery, home office, or child's room (twin bed can fit nicely).

So if/when I decide to sell, will I have any problem listing it as a 3-bedroom?
Here in NJ, to be a bedroom, it must have a door, an egress window, and a closet. HOWEVER...
If the house was built BEFORE that code was put in place, then the code that existed when the house was built is what prevails. So the only way to know for sure is to find out what the code requirement was when the house was built.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I think a bedroom without egress is going to have a serious problem with some appraisers. I've heard that some places won't count a room above the garage as a bedroom and that baffled me as well.

In my area there are a lot of historic homes and the rule of thumb is that an armoire that is affixed to the wall (nails, scres, bolts, etc) is acceptable as a closet.

The listing with plumbing for the bath but no bath is typical of listings I always ended up at- the common refrain was 'its not what I imagined from the description.)

Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,020 times
i currently live in indiana, and my landlord rented me a house with as a 3 bedroom, but 1 bedroom that has a basement trap door in the middle of the floor and no closet. this makes it inconvenient to use because its the only place a bed will fit in this room is over that trap door and we need access to basement because when it rains the basement floods and the landlord has a sump pump we have to turn on. but the mildew smell down there is overwhelming i have had to put covers over the floor vents in ever room to cut down the smell coming from the basement.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet or not, but here it goes.

What is the minimum requirements to list a room as a bedroom on MLS? I have two examples:

- A master bedroom with no door or walls. Can this be considered a bedroom? It is open to the rest of the house.

- An area of the garage that has been finished but does not have a closet (area exists with no doors) or window for egress. Access is down OUTSIDE STAIRCASE and must walk across unfinished garage floor to access "bedroom". No plumbing exists on this level. Is this really a "bedroom" or a finished area of garage?

I'd appreciate your comments!

It's a room where you can a) shut your door for privacy, b) ideally with a closet for clothing (although in historic old homes, a clothespress or armoire will do) and c) with a window for emergency egress (in case of fire).

A master bedroom with no walls and no doors sounds like it's just part of a studio apartment, or some funky layout with a loft. You can call it a bedroom area, but calling it a room is a bit of a stretch.

The spare room in the garage sounds like someone could sleep in it, if they needed to -- but hey, you can say the same thing about the living room or the den -- just because you can sleep in it, doesn't make it a bedroom.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamisw View Post
i currently live in indiana, and my landlord rented me a house with as a 3 bedroom, but 1 bedroom that has a basement trap door in the middle of the floor and no closet. this makes it inconvenient to use because its the only place a bed will fit in this room is over that trap door and we need access to basement because when it rains the basement floods and the landlord has a sump pump we have to turn on. but the mildew smell down there is overwhelming i have had to put covers over the floor vents in ever room to cut down the smell coming from the basement.
Didn't you look at the place before renting? If the so-called 3rd bedroom isn't functional, why would you rent it?? What is the rental market like, can you find somewhere else? Having to cover up floor vents due to flooding and odor may be a good enough reason to get out of your lease if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate