Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know if it is easier to sell a home that is priced at less than the appraisal price? We have had our home for sale for some time, but never had an appraisal done until a few days ago. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
Don't know about other people, but for me "priced less than appraisal" doesn't mean much to me these days, what with dropping home values and all the news about artificially inflated appraisals.

In my home search, it hasn't been unusual to see homes sell for less than appraisals and/or assessments.

Just one opinion, though.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,597 times
You will sell the house at the price the market will bear. You can't sell it for more than the market will bear but you can sell it less than the market will bear. (This is general information from economics - certainly you could have buyer that may overpay but it's unlikely).

The apprasial is good for you to know so you have a rough idea of how much the place is worth. I'd start by listing it a bit higher (you can decide what a "bit" is) and then drop the price if it doesn't sell.

The appraisal is rough, though, so I wouldn't put too much stock. Your house will sell if the price is what the market will bear.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Don't know about other people, but for me "priced less than appraisal" doesn't mean much to me these days, what with dropping home values and all the news about artificially inflated appraisals.

1. Values are not dropping everywhere. Here in Oklahoma we are doing well in that department.

2. As with everything in life, you get what you pay for. Most of the bad and inflated appraisals are done by what we refer to as "skippies". These appraisers will do appraisals for much less than a professional appraiser charges, will turn them around within 24 hours and have no analytical abilities beyond just filling out the form.

If people and lenders would hire the professional appraisers they would have to pay a little more and wait a little longer for the report, but they would get a solid product.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM

158 posts, read 405,396 times
One other thing is that buyers usually need financing and that financing is usually contingent on the loan to appraised value. In other words most buyers don't have the cash to sink into a home that is sold for greater than its appraised value. Of course, before the bubble popped the appraisals just about always came in high. I doubt if that is happening anymore (high appraisals that is).

Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugetsoundman View Post
One other thing is that buyers usually need financing and that financing is usually contingent on the loan to appraised value. In other words most buyers don't have the cash to sink into a home that is sold for greater than its appraised value. Of course, before the bubble popped the appraisals just about always came in high. I doubt if that is happening anymore (high appraisals that is).
It probably still happens because shockingly enough, lenders STILL won't do proper reviews on appraisals. Too expensive. Go figure.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
I think selling right now is very complicated and frustrating. There are already a glut of homes listed at below appraisal prices.
I also think, IMO, that having a few CMA's done by different realtors, and pricing well below those CMA's will give you a competitive edge in today's market. That and making sure your house is in prisitine condition.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,603 times
To answer your question, no. It will NOT be easier to sell just because the price is lower than the appraisal value.

Some listings may advertise "less than appraisal" but it means nothing to me. I rather see a listing stating other objective facts about the house.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
To answer your question, no. It will NOT be easier to sell just because the price is lower than the appraisal value.

Some listings may advertise "less than appraisal" but it means nothing to me. I rather see a listing stating other objective facts about the house.
It may help those buyers who don't have a down payment or portion thereof. Buying a house below appraised value will gve them instant equity.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 PM

158 posts, read 405,396 times
Default Don't believe everything you read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
It may help those buyers who don't have a down payment or portion thereof. Buying a house below appraised value will gve them instant equity.
Nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate